Left-Handed Nibs: Do They Make A Difference?

tvradio

Complete newbie here - and a lefty - wanting to learn about fountain pens. I'm currently a big user of gel pens, ranging from Pilot G-Tec 0.4 to Uni-Ball Signo (0.5mm to 1.0mm depending on use). I tend to write small, and I generally overwrite.

I've been intrigued by the idea of using fountain pens, for the look and the possible control, and the fantastic choice of inks, but I'm not sure if it will work for me. Right now I am waiting on delivery of a Pilot Varsity (Med) as well as a Platinum Preppy (F).

While reading up in recent days about FPs here and around the web I came across mention of left-handed nibs. If I like using fountain pens then the next step up in price-point would be along the line of a Lamy Safari, which I see is available in a left-handed nib (M only).

I've come to learn that in order to reduce possible smearing, lefties might want to choose a finer nib (to lay down less ink so it will dry faster) as well as faster-drying inks. Would a left-handed nib also be useful, or is it more of a marketing gimmick? (And if it's not a gimmick why are they so rare, and only available as M by Lamy?)

“We could be heroes/Just for one day” ― David Bowie

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidthecat

• tvradio

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The technical term is Right-oblique nib, and it really only makes a difference if you want a really broad line and don’t change hand position very much.

If your writing practice doesn’t meet those criteria, you can probably get away with a regular nib of any width that pleases you. I’ve grown fond of Fine nibs, but my tastes are rather esoteric otherwise.

I use Rohrer & Klingner and Diamine inks. They dry quickly to minimize the smearing issue. There’s a pint of Mont Blanc ink in the house which will never be used because it takes FOREVER to dry.

Consider yourself warned.