Lamy Petrol--$60 Value!?

bass1193

Those clever folks at Goldspot! They seem to have saved a stock of that wildly popular ink to use as a Black Friday giveaway incentive. And they say it's a $60 value, which is an interesting number to have arrived at.

Mainly though, I'm curious if those of you who were able to snap up a bottle of Petrol would say placing a $125 order with Goldspot would justify getting one's hands on that lovely sheening unobtanium. I must say I'm sorely tempted....

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• Sailor Kenshin

• lapis

• chromantic

No, it's not worth it. I had 4 bottles of it bought at about 7-8 each. I used it for one fill, and proceeded to sell all of them. Lamy Dark Lilac was worth $60, petrol isn't.

...Mainly though, I'm curious if those of you who were able to snap up a bottle of Petrol would say placing a $125 order with Goldspot would justify getting one's hands on that lovely sheening unobtanium. I must say I'm sorely tempted....

Hi Bass,

If I were already planning to spend around $100; I'd go another $25 for a bottle of genuine Petrol.

If I hadn't already been planning on spending that much, than no. I'm sure in this day and age, there is a close facsimile available elsewhere. ;)

Be well and enjoy life. :)

- Anthony

Lamy Petrol. I reeeeallllyyyy wanted it, didn't pay that much for mine, 'only' double market value...and it's been my Most Disappointing Ink, aside from a hideous Sailor Kobe yellowy-greeny color.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

So folks have said that Noodler's 54th Massachusetts matches Petrol in color.

Edit: Error! Error! Error! This should be Noodler's Air Corp Blue-black.

Edited by white_lotus

Diamine Dark Forest (150th Anniversary) is a very close match too.

Not my bottle -- my batch of 54th MA is a lot bluer than what Petrol seems to be like (the sample I had of of it was a lot darker, more like Waterman Mysterious Blue on good paper coming out of an E or EF nib). But since I don't tend to like green-leaning teals to begin with, I was not interested in either Petrol ink OR the Petrol pen....

OTOH, I think I picked up a backup bottle of Lamy Pacific Blue. It was cheap enough, and has the blotter paper built into the outer casing of the bottle. And I'm now kicking myself that I didn't buy a third bottle of Dark Lilac when I had the chance.... :headsmack:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Oh, you are correct inkstainedruth! The thread in question compares Noodler's Air Corp Blue-black with Lamy Petrol.

My particular bottle of Aircorp Blue Black is an excellent match in writing to Petrol:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/329236-lamy-petrol-v-noodlers-aircorp-blue-black-picture-heavy/

The two are not identical of course, but I don't think that asking price warrants getting a bottle of Petrol over other inks. I honestly think it's the whole limited edition in small numbers that made Petrol so desirable; not that it's a bad ink at all, just that for general writing it looks like some other inks. If you're going to make splashes on Tomoe River or heavy cardstock paper, you get some pretty rose gold sheen, which is unusual, but that's the only condition in which you will see the metallic sheen. It shades a bit better than Aircorp Blue Black in writing, but that also depends on which pen and nib you use it with.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

The new Dark Forest is pretty close but so is good old Miruai; both are a little greener but, like Intensity says, in general writing you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart at a glance.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

I guess some people thought it was worth it, "a 50ml Sailor Jentle ink" has replaced the Petrol. Doesn't specify whether it's random or buyer's choice.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• 3 weeks later...

I was really meh about Petrol. But to be fair, I have a cones/rods issue with my eyes and I see it as black. I kept giving it away.

If I could buy the whole company for $60, I'd force them to make all of their offers available in Germany.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

If I could buy the whole company for $60, I'd force them to make all of their offers available in Germany.

If I could buy the whole company for $60, I think I might do a bit more than force them too make all of their offers available in Germany. :lol:

Fine! How about the two of us heading off to Heidelberg and reminding them that it is against the law (at least in other parts of Germany) when they burn the national flag?

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I happen to think it is a very attractive ink that performs perfectly. However, it it not "worth" $60, if only because people are selling it on eBay for $50, and apparently no one is buying at that price. Its main appeal is that it is unavailable.

Edited by Pensei