Eversharp Fifth Avenue

PenHero

Hi, Folks!

This is an Eversharp Fifth Avenue lever-fill fountain pen in Jet Black c. 1943-1947. It was Eversharp's answer to the Parker 51, with features like a hooded gold nib and pull off cap, and, like Parker, Eversharp claimed the pen wrote dry with quick dry ink. Eversharp gave the top of the section a V shape, a feature that helped orient the pen to correct writing position. The cap was 14 karat gold fill on sterling silver, due to war time restrictions on brass. The double check on the top of the clip was Eversharp's mark for its lifetime guarantee. The 5 1/4 inch long pen was $12.50 and the matching pencil was $6.50. Colors offered were Jet Black, Navy Blue, Marine Green, Dubonnet Red, Army Brown and Silver Gray. The Fifth Avenue was not successful and the company continued to sell Skylines side by side with them until both were replaced by the Symphony in 1948.
I've only seen a few of these pens (most have been CA's) and know they came in three sizes. Would love to see more of the colors and sizes posted!
http://penhero.com/Temp/EversharpFifthAvenueBlack_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Addertooth

• PenHero

• tleek

• NumberSix

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here are photos showing the 3 different sizes of the 5th Avenue: the standard size, the Ladies, and the Stowaway.

post-106519-0-89781700-1511372980_thumb.jpg

post-106519-0-61755100-1511373004_thumb.jpg

Edited by RoyalBear

Interesting. I didn't know much about this model. I have a Symphony that writes fairly well, and a friend of mine was gleefully showing off a purple Doric he got on eBay recently; I also have the cap for what had been my mother-in-law's Skyline which had been jammed onto the Sheaffer Balance Oversize which had been *her* father's (and keep hoping the rest of the Skyline shows up someday...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I have two, but I'll spare you from pictures because although I have more colors from the related CA line, I only have a black and a navy blue Fifth Ave. (and after this many decades the navy is more black than blue). One is the short "Stowaway" model, but when I obtained it the cap was wrong. Notice in RB's pictures that the short pen should have a clip-less cap, like many of the other purse pens of the period.

Jim, quite a bit of the nib is visible in the pen you are exhibiting at the top, compared to the ones I have. Is that one an early first version, which has an oval opening in the hood rather than the slotted diamond-shaped opening of the second version? If so, I'd be interested to see a view from underneath.

Edited by parkergeo

Jim, quite a bit of the nib is visible in the pen you are exhibiting at the top, compared to the ones I have. Is that one an early first version, which has an oval opening in the hood rather than the slotted diamond-shaped opening of the second version? If so, I'd be interested to see a view from underneath.

The pen in my photo is the second version. It has a larger nib opening, an improvement. Richard Binder's write up on the Fifth Avenue is quite detailed on this and shows both versions.

• 2 years later...

Here's an Army Brown Demi/Ladies 5th Ave that I ordered from Peyton Street Pens. The brown is a lovely dark khaki and works very well with the gold. It's a small pen. But when posted, it has plenty of length for comfortable writing and a nice weight from the cap. And the section is not too thin. This is not a slim pen, just a short one. The nib is Fine - currently running Quink Washable Blue. My only complaint so far is that I am not sure it seals well. This morning it hard started after less than 48 hours unused.

Shown alongside a Demi 51 for comparison, both in size and in ornamentation. This pen borders on tacky next to the sleek Parker design. But I am growing to like it.

158055721_img_e0615.jpg 158055728_img_e0617.jpg 158055730_img_e0620.jpg 158055731_img_e0621.jpg

Here is another picture of all 3 sizes. The two pens and two pencils on the bottom of the picture are of the "solid 14k Gold" versions of the pen.

fpn_1597199141__5th_avenue_group.jpg

• 1 month later...

I, personally, think I prefer the look of the fifth avenue to the 51. You can still see the deco influence you seen in many of Eversharp pens.

I recently dove into vintage, but find that I’m really attracted to Eversharps in general, which is surprising to me, because I really like classic aesthetics, and eversharps designs are a bit more eccentric. My Symphony and my skyline write amazingly well. I’ve thought about picking up a fifth avenue, but the standard size seems difficult to find, and the Demi seems very small.

the standard size seems difficult to find, and the Demi seems very small.

I had no trouble at all writing with the Demi, especially posted. It's small when capped, but it's comfortable to hold in my big clumsy dude hands for writing. It's got a good-sized diameter, too, which helps make it comfortable to use.

If the size is what's holding you back, then I suggest not to worry.

Tleek,

The 5th Avenue pens show up frequently on eBay, and usually at a "skyline-like" price (or less). A bit of patience will likely produce the pen you desire.

The same pen stamped with "6?4" sells for much more, as it is the solid gold version. Not all solid gold models have the 6?4 marking. It goes back to when

Eversharp sponsored a show called "The 64 Dollar Question".

Edited by Addertooth

I’ll keep a lookout on eBay. I checked a while back and they had a few that were beat and a couple of ball points.

I’m not in a rush to add one to the collection, but I can still admire them. One day I’ll pick one up. I think the aesthetics on them are really cool and it’s unfortunate that Eversharp wasn’t more successful with them. Same thing with the symphony. I think they had something really cool with the slipper cap and I wish it would have taken off.