The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Eversharp Fifth Avenue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PenHero

PenHero

Sheaffer Collector

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:30

Hi, Folks! 

This is an Eversharp Fifth Avenue lever-fill fountain pen in Jet Black c. 1943-1947.  It was Eversharp's answer to the Parker 51, with features like a hooded gold nib and pull off cap, and, like Parker, Eversharp claimed the pen wrote dry with quick dry ink.  Eversharp gave the top of the section a V shape, a feature that helped orient the pen to correct writing position.  The cap was 14 karat gold fill on sterling silver, due to war time restrictions on brass.  The double check on the top of the clip was Eversharp's mark for its lifetime guarantee.  The 5 1/4 inch long pen was $12.50 and the matching pencil was $6.50.  Colors offered were Jet Black, Navy Blue, Marine Green, Dubonnet Red, Army Brown and Silver Gray.  The Fifth Avenue was not successful and the company continued to sell Skylines side by side with them until both were replaced by the Symphony in 1948.

I've only seen a few of these pens (most have been CA's) and know they came in three sizes.  Would love to see more of the colors and sizes posted!

EversharpFifthAvenueBlack_1280_01.jpg

Thanks!

Sponsored Content

#2 RoyalBear

RoyalBear

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2017 - 17:51

Here are photos showing the 3 different sizes of the 5th Avenue: the standard size, the Ladies, and the Stowaway.

5thAve.Pens.1.jpg

5thAve.Pens.3.jpg

Edited by RoyalBear, 22 November 2017 - 23:22.

#3 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,239 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2017 - 20:00

Interesting.  I didn't know much about this model.  I have a Symphony that writes fairly well, and a friend of mine was gleefully showing off a purple Doric he got on eBay recently; I also have the cap for what had been my mother-in-law's Skyline which had been jammed onto the Sheaffer Balance Oversize which had been *her* father's (and keep hoping the rest of the Skyline shows up someday...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#4 parkergeo

parkergeo

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2017 - 23:27

I have two, but I'll spare you from pictures because although I have more colors from the related CA line, I only have a black and a navy blue Fifth Ave. (and after this many decades the navy is more black than blue). One is the short "Stowaway" model, but when I obtained it the cap was wrong. Notice in RB's pictures that the short pen should have a clip-less cap, like many of the other purse pens of the period. 

Jim, quite a bit of the nib is visible in the pen you are exhibiting at the top, compared to the ones I have. Is that one an early first version, which has an oval opening in the hood rather than the slotted diamond-shaped opening of the second version? If so, I'd be interested to see a view from underneath.

Edited by parkergeo, 22 November 2017 - 23:27.

#5 PenHero

PenHero

Sheaffer Collector

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 00:15

Jim, quite a bit of the nib is visible in the pen you are exhibiting at the top, compared to the ones I have. Is that one an early first version, which has an oval opening in the hood rather than the slotted diamond-shaped opening of the second version? If so, I'd be interested to see a view from underneath.

The pen in my photo is the second version.  It has a larger nib opening, an improvement.  Richard Binder's write up on the Fifth Avenue is quite detailed on this and shows both versions.

Sponsored Content

|