The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Inks That Contain Phenol/biocide/anti-Mold Components?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Inkling13

Inkling13

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2018 - 22:03

I suspect all inks to have some sort of biocidal/fungicidal component to it. Considering how many spores and particulates are floating around in our air, and that our pens and inks are not maintained in sterile conditions, I am very much surprised that ink doesn't grow balls of slime/fuzz. I used to work in a microbiology lab, and all our reagents, mediums, and other random fluids were all kept sterile, and even solutions that we didn't think could support life, usually found a way to grow something funky. If our ink didn't have some innate defenses built into it, we'd all have slime and goo. 

Water is an amazing medium... psudomonas aeruginosa  can grow in contact solution, and serratia marcescens turns your bathroom pink. I wonder what kills things in ink? 

Sponsored Content

#22 Pino

Pino

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 May 2018 - 23:57

Does Canada allow residents to purchase phenol for "personal use," i.e., purchase in relatively small quantities to add to bottles of ink?  I'm weighing my options. 

Reviving an old thread, but to answer the question - I live in Canada and I've very recently received a bottle of phenol from Natural Pigments that I've ordered as a precaution for some suspicious surface specks I've found in some of my inks.  Deciding on the best course of action before I actually make use of the phenol.

#23 Bookman

Bookman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:38

Reviving an old thread, but to answer the question - I live in Canada and I've very recently received a bottle of phenol from Natural Pigments that I've ordered as a precaution for some suspicious surface specks I've found in some of my inks.  Deciding on the best course of action before I actually make use of the phenol.

Thanks.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

round-postcard-exc.png

#24 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,068 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2018 - 18:10

Okay, let's go back.....

You can buy phenol in the US along with other biocides.  They are sold with art supplies.  (Natural Pigments is the one that I use)  If you need a sample (and really you don't need the whole bottle, just one drop per 10 ml of ink), then contact me via PM.  

Be sure to check out Sam Capote's amazing comparison of biocides. He has hundreds of inks and had a bad infestation that he cured.

Biocide shoot out.

http://www.fountainp...shootout-tests/

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#25 djmaher

djmaher

One who wanders

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2018 - 19:19

Also as a followup, I've continued to use this pen after flushing and cleaning, without any problem at all.  All I did was a water flush with a gentle scrub/disassembly of my pen, and I've not had a speck of trouble since.

It was/is so weird.  I'm still not entirely sure what the "stuff" was.  Not to mention, that it was my only pen to show any signs.  And, I've looked, believe me....

It remains the only issue that I've had, knowingly, with any of my pens.  Other than a thorough cleaning with water, I've done nothing further to stem the mold, or, whatever else it was. (maybe not mold!!).

I was also concerned that I had contaminated some, if not all of my ink, in that this pen has seen all of the inks I own over the past year.  Nothing showing up in any of my other inks, to this point anyway.

I'm marginally less paranoid, at this point.  I cant undue what Ive done, as to contamination, other than with a biocide of some type.  I'm just trying to be vigilant, now.  Taking a wait and see attitude about the whole thing.

And, of course, cross my fingers.

.....the Heart has it's reasons, which Reason knows nothing of.....

#26 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,027 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2019 - 21:08

I'm reviving the topic because as I describe in another thread, I have found that one of my Ranga ebonite pens has developed mould inside.

I really do need to wash the whole pen with something that can kill the mould (I will probably try vinegar first) as the mouldy smell is also in the cap and the barrel, but after that, and thorough washing, some use with an ink that has some strong biocide in it could prove useful (the smell has developed also in the nib and very faintly in the converter).

I was thinking of using one of KWZ inks that have a strong vanilla smell, which I believe to be the biocide, not sure what chemical.

Any other recommended "strongly preserved" ink could be useful.

#27 Bibliophage

Bibliophage

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 21:54

If you can't just buy phenol from an art supply house, the Camlin/Camel inks out of India smell VERY strongly, and I suspect it's phenol, if not outright Solv-X.    I get the feeling that Camlin is just the new-ish name of Parker, India.  (for ink)

#28 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,915 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2019 - 05:05

If you can't just buy phenol from an art supply house, the Camlin/Camel inks out of India smell VERY strongly, and I suspect it's phenol, if not outright Solv-X.    I get the feeling that Camlin is just the new-ish name of Parker, India.  (for ink)

Camlin is its own company, making pens as well as inks. However, Camel ink smells just like Quink with Solv/X. Camlin claims it uses an additive called "Kleen-ex", so it might well be the same formula as Solv/X, and Solv/X is like magic. 

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

#29 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,027 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2019 - 18:34

noted, I might want to try that, thanks

#30 Oldane

Oldane

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2019 - 09:48

No trace with the pen inked? Mould will not grow without moisture, nor will it simply go away after a month of being dry.

Sometimes the humidity of the air surrounding us is enough. Cameras and camera lenses are known to sometimes get mould growths on the glass surfaces when they are used or stored in humid surroundings (typically in a leather bag stored for a prolonged time in a basement). Back in the day, Leica offered "tropicalized" cameras - treated with a fungicide - for those who had to use them in such conditions.

Edited by Oldane, 07 December 2019 - 09:52.

#31 praxim

praxim

On twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 4,611 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2019 - 11:01

As I recall the recommendation so not to encourage mould is humidity < 60%, ideally 30-50% (so it is also habitable for humans). Where I live at the moment, we are getting Summer humidity below 10% in the day. Right now it is 25% inside, ten o'clock at night.  A bit dry for people. It is 78% outside but we dare not open up for ventilation owing to bushfire (wildfire) smoke outside so thick it is a fog under the streetlamps. A bit of a digression there. Watching the wall of smoke roll in with a wind change a couple of hours ago, before sunset, was fairly remarkable so is on my mind.

Anyone owning three or more working pens is in no position to disparage choices by others.

#32 Bibliophage

Bibliophage

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 18:21

Camlin is its own company, making pens as well as inks. However, Camel ink smells just like Quink with Solv/X. Camlin claims it uses an additive called "Kleen-ex", so it might well be the same formula as Solv/X, and Solv/X is like magic. 

Perhaps I should have been more specific.   I suspect that Camelin is the inheritor of all of the Parker manufacturing in India, from when it was abandoned.   Most of the time, when a big company manufactures in another country, they create a local presence.   That can end up continuing even when the parent company is gone.   Then there's Taurus, who took over all of S&W's manufacturing, including all their tooling, in their country.  (I just forgot the SA country)

#33 Bibliophage

Bibliophage

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 18:24

Looks like Camlin/Camel has "Camli-Sol 100".   Or at least did a few years ago.

#34 SamCapote

SamCapote

Got Warm Milk?

• Member - Gold

• 4,299 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2019 - 09:30

Just add your own phenol!

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

#35 Olya

Olya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 801 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 12:08

Just add your own phenol!

Phenol isn't easy to come by everywhere.

In the US, yes, in Europe there's no source for regular people and it can't be imported from the US either.

#36 Parker51

Parker51

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,375 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 14:00

I checked, and Phenyol is not a Carcinogen; it is however a potentially dangerous substance in that in large enough quantities it will create a chemical burn as it is carbolic acid; it can kill a person if ingested.
Thus, it appears to be regulated in some places so as to stop people from either burning themselves or others or killing themselves or others with it. Why it would not be allowed to be used in ink strikes me as odd given that the concentration one would find in ink would be too low as to cause burns through use and there are many substances which are much more dangerous if accidently ingested and they are common products, such as drain cleaner and concentrated laundry detergent. I would think a simple warning on the bottles would have been suffice. Perhaps the origonal regulators were rather old and recalled children drinking ink back when it was a common item in schools and based on that antiquated experience chose the safest route, being totally ignorent in the fact that school desks no longer have small bottles of ink at each of them nor are there are any large master inks in schools full of potentially harmful ink. As for the cleaning supplies I mentioned, they would not be of concern for said regulators as they as children likely never had contact with cleaning supplies.

Edited by Parker51, 12 December 2019 - 14:01.

#37 Parker51

Parker51

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,375 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 14:13

I have done more research Listerine brand mouthwash contains naturally derived phenols in very low amounts and has for over a hundred years. So, perhaps the cure for pens with mold in places with restrictions on phenols in ink may be mouthwash, but make certain it is alcohol free mouthwash, not the origonal kind which has a large amount of alchol in it which might damage the pen.

Edited by Parker51, 12 December 2019 - 14:23.

#38 Bibliophage

Bibliophage

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 17:39

I wonder if you could add a half drop of Lysol concentrate?

Sponsored Content

|