Hello From The Midatlantic (United States)

Seventh

Hello,

I am became interested in fountain pens when I was given a Pelikan 400NN that had been passed down through the family.

I recently picked up a Lamy 81 (that needs some work) and have slowly become fascinated with the history of fountain pens. I have joined FPN to learn more and be part of larger community.

I tend to like older and quirky designs. I like the aesthetic, mechanical, and material qualities of pens as objects as much (or perhaps even more) as tools for writing.

Live in the Washington/Baltimore area.

Cheers,

AD

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Seventh

• Parker51

• Sasha Royale

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to our little corner of the universe from a pen user in San Diego.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Hello and welcome from Indiana!

Please visit my store A&D Penworx.

Brands we carry: Benu Pen, Conklin, Kaweco, Monteverde, TWSBI - Diamine, J Herbin, KWZ- Clairefontaine, Field Notes, Rhodia, Whitelines

Hi AD, welcome. I think I'm already bonded to you because my pen choices are always determined by how a pen looks mediated by the quality of the nib. What are some of your favorites so far?

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

Welcome, and you are in a good locate for Pen Shows! The big one being the show in Northern Virginia, the D.C. Show, but also, the Baltimore show, and a little farther away, the Philadelphia show.

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Thank you all for the warm welcome! I live in B-more and often find myself working in DC.

@Parker51, I am interested in checking out a pen show, I haven't been to one. Do you recommend one for a newbie? Northern VA, DC, Baltimore, and Philly are all fairly easy for me to get to.

Hi AD, welcome. I think I'm already bonded to you because my pen choices are always determined by how a pen looks mediated by the quality of the nib. What are some of your favorites so far?

Hi Drawing61: My knowledge is pretty limited, of the ones I have seen IRL (but don't own). I really like the Lamy Profil's (80, 81, & 86). I have a soft spot for the brown 86, I would love to track one down for not too much. I just really like their shape, length of the cap – they look elegant and utilitarian at the same time. For Pelikan's I go between the 100 and 100N (also the 400) I like when their ends are flat or mostly square, the long tapered end doesn't work for me, also prefer Pelikan's that don't have pinstripes. Montblanc's seem to always look good in black with gold trim. I like the shape of the Omas Paragon, but can't get past their crazy patterns and that Doric (?) band on the cap. I know very little about Parker, Waterman, and most Japanese pens. How about you?

Hello and welcome to FPN, from Cape Town, South Africa.

To sit at one's table on a sunny morning, with four clear hours of uninterruptible security, plenty of nice white paper, and a [fountain] pen - that is true happiness!

- Winston Churchill

If the weather is acceptable, the Philadelphia show is the closest one on the calendar. The problem is it sometimes snows quite a lot when it is held. It is a downtown show in a downtown hotel, with the associated traffic and paid parking. The Baltimore show is later in the year, would be more convenient, and reportedly is a bit smaller, but quite nice. The D.C. Show is huge, but can be both a bit overwhelming and congested as it is very well attended, which can be a problem given the venue it might be held in, it was last year.

Welcome, AD !

I am somewhat familiar with the area. (Univ Of Md, class of '71)

I greatly enjoy the old lever-filler pens, especially the lower-priced, everyday pens of the 1950-1960 period.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Greetings from Pittsburgh! :W2FPN:

I have not been to the Philly or Baltimore shows (and the date change the last couple of years made it impossible for me to attend DCSS). But my *first* show was DCSS and it is so huge as to be positively overwhelming.

A little further afield for you are the Triangle Pen Show (outside Raleigh NC), which tends to be in mid-June, and the Ohio Pen Show (early November, in Dublin, OH, outside Columbus). Ohio is bigger than Triangle but still a manageable size.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Hi All, and happy Thanksgiving to the USA members.

@Parker51 & @Inkstainedruth thanks for the advice about the pen shows, I think I will start with the Baltimore event before attempting the DCSS! Love Pittsburgh, btw, great city.

@Cjayant nice to meet another new member!

@Sasha Royal can you tell me more about the 50s and 60s lever pens? They sound fascinating. Who made them?

Cheers,

AD