The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pilot Metropolitan Section Is Leaking

sectioncrack leak pilot metropolitan metro nail polish

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Julio18

Julio18

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2017 - 16:30

Hello pen friends, 

I have a problem with my Pilot Metro. A while ago I dropped my Metro, (just thinking about it makes me cringe). After that I noticed that every time I wrote with it I had a little bit of ink on my hand. Upon more close inspection I noticed a very little crack on the section. I cleaned the pen and try to force water with a bulb syringe and as I suspected, a little drops of water were coming out of the section.

Somewhere on the internet I found that clear nail polish was a good way of sealing this kind of cracks. I tried it and it work for a while, maybe two months. But recently I started to get ink on my fingers again, so I tried it again with the nail polish, but this time it looks like the ink is getting through the layer of nail polish.

My question is: Is there a better way to seal this little crack on the plastic section of my Pilot Metropolitan?

The pen is one of my greatest treasures and I don't have money to buy another pen. Also because where I live, it is really hard to get especialized fountain pen repair kits so, I would prefer something that you can get more easily.

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Content

#2 Rosso Corsa

Rosso Corsa

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:14

Hi Julio,
I have a similar problem on a couple of Chinese Hero pens, and on a cheap Pelikan "Antimacchia": some very small cracks on the plastic section causing some very scarce ink leak.
I tried to seal them with liquid Loctite Attak glue, but without success.
I am evaluating to try with a Loctite Attak Gel glue, but I would like to have suggestions from an expert before making further attempts...

So I am also interested in the right way to effectively treat this defect.

Ciao
Mauro

Mauro

#3 LukeSkyliner

LukeSkyliner

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2017 - 18:40

It was on this list that I learned about Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure.  This is readily available on Amazon and has saved a few pens in my collection.  It was originally designed to find and close small cracks in boat hulls, but has worked beautifully on all metal, hard rubber, and plastic pen cracks.  Maybe more than one application will be needed, but from your description, this crack is well within the Captain's reach.

Pilot, unlike MontBlanc, has never made a bad pen.  Bless you in your mission.

#4 Julio18

Julio18

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2017 - 23:41

Hi Julio,
I have a similar problem on a couple of Chinese Hero pens, and on a cheap Pelikan "Antimacchia": some very small cracks on the plastic section causing some very scarce ink leak.
I tried to seal them with liquid Loctite Attak glue, but without success.
I am evaluating to try with a Loctite Attak Gel glue, but I would like to have suggestions from an expert before making further attempts...
So I am also interested in the right way to effectively treat this defect.
Ciao
Mauro

I used nail polish. And it worked so far. I did 4 coats and a half hour wait between each application.
I did one on the inside but it wasn't a good idea because the product got into the feed and I had to cleaned it out.
It's been maybe 2 weeks and it's better than nothing. I have used the pen everyday with no leaks at all

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sectioncrack, leak, pilot metropolitan, metro, nail polish

Sponsored Content

|