Nemosine Solar Storm 1859

Honeybadgers

Another winner from Nemosine - This stuff is like Apache Sunset, changing color from pale yellow-orange to a dark orange-red, with absolute bucketloads of gradient shading and color change.

It's very well behaved, shades even on bad paper, basically zero bleed or feather.. Even when laid down wet on the page, it doesn't show through. The color is just on the edge of being comfortable to read - I don't find it visually obnoxious like Apache Sunset is when you're trying to write, but it isn't as perfectly legible as Monteverde Fireopal

The bottle is pretty, the value is reasonable (a hair under $8/35ml) and the ink is just solid. I'm reminded a lot of sailor apricot with more color change. Well lubricated, though a bit drier than the other nemosine inks, it's still very medium flowing. No smearing like apache sunset is prone to do.

The bottle is marked with the coordinates of where it was bottled (pittsburgh) the ink itself is apparently made in Slovenia.

The only thing I noticed is that the ink has the typical orange crustiness that seems to befuddle all orange inks. If you're familiar with monteverde fireopal, it can form a little crunchy layer when it dries up. This is similar. So maybe not a great choice for a pen that's prone to badly drying out with nib creep, but I haven't had any issues yet.

The ink is named after the Solar Storm of 1859 - one of the most powerful Geomagnetic storms ever recorded. Auroras could be seen as far south as the Carribean. This ink really does capture all of the brilliance of the sun without being blinding.

fpn_1511252551__nemosine_solar_storm_185

fpn_1511252569__nemosine_solar_storm_185

fpn_1511252601__nemosine_solar_storm_185

fpn_1511252616__nemosine_solar_storm_185

fpn_1511252629__nemosine_solar_storm_185

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• Honeybadgers

• LizEF

• Jan2016

Thanks for the review!

Nemosine has a nice series with beautiful names.

This orange is for me not the most interesting from their colors, I like the Japanese orange inks more.

But resistance against buying of the Nemosine inks is crumbling....

Thanks for the review! Now I'm gonna have to get a sample - thought I was done with oranges, but your review makes me want this one. :)

This ink is a favorite of mine. I almost always have it in something. One thing to note is that when it dries out, it turns into a fuzzy crystal stuff in the nib of the pen...so don't let it dry out in the pen! What a mess. (It does wash away easily though.)

:gaah: Nooooooooo! I'm getting a sample of this ink, and that's all.

(for now)

Do yourself a favor and get a sample of Monteverde Fireopal. It's an orange that shades, has a silver sheen, and is extremely legible. This is a little more specialty, but Fireopal is a true everyday orange.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Do yourself a favor and get a sample of Monteverde Fireopal. It's an orange that shades, has a silver sheen, and is extremely legible. This is a little more specialty, but Fireopal is a true everyday orange.

Seriously, I don't really like orange. I have some Akkerman Oranje Boven which I was surprised to find I like. I like the look of this (and I liked Apache Sunset except the smearing and not knowing what to do with it). So I'll get a sample of this and "play", but probably not buy a bottle since I won't know what to do with it either. :) It'll just satisfy my desire to play with it / enjoy the shading, and that will be enough.......for now. :)

If I get another itch, I'll go look at Fireopal again, but I've seen reviews and haven't felt compelled to try it like this one. :)

i hate orange too, and Fireopal might genuinely be my favorite ink.

People really haven't covered the gorgeous silver sheen it has, and it just flows so nicely in pens.

Edited by Honeybadgers

i hate orange too, and Fireopal might genuinely be my favorite ink.

People really haven't covered the gorgeous silver sheen it has, and it just flows so nicely in pens.

Hmm. OK, I'll go have another look. :)

Hmm. OK, I'll go have another look. :)

OK, I added a sample to my wishlist. I already have a sample of Copper Noir on there, which doesn't look tons different - added it cuz something compelled me to - no idea what, I just like something about the look of the swatch. (I'm going to be using ink samples until I die or the world ends, whichever happens first. :rolleyes: )

• 8 months later...

I just ordered this ink, because I've had it with Apache Sunset taking forever to dry, and the photos of SS 1859 seemed to indicate it would have similar properties to AS without the days-long dry times. Waiting for it to arrive now!

• 6 months later...

Ive never tried Apache Sunset, but know it is popular. Glad to know you see a similarity because I have a sample of this ink.

Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...

Sob!! On the Nemosine website, this ink is sold out, and further it says it is discontinued. So very disappointed. I wanted a bottle of it because of your review.

Posted Image

I think Kevin is changing some things. Dunno if the ink will be back, but he really didn't market the inks as much as he should. I am glad I got the entire set. There wasn't a single bad or poorly behaved color in it.

I only have samples (the tiny Goulet ones) except I got a bottle of Alpha Centauri. Solar Storm 1859 was going to be next, but I thought I had time but turns out not. Ive looked for it, but so far out of stock everywhere. Guess Ill keep looking.

I mentioned Solar Storm in an email exchange with Josh. He sent a link to the Wikipedia article but did not mention anything else.

Edited by Misfit
Posted Image

Good read, tx! I mix my own orange from 50% Diamine Sunshine Yellow and 50% Herbin Rouge Caroubier, because both are cheap and readily available. But thanx to this topic I'll have to check out Monteverde Fireopal.

fireopal is a rusty dark orange. It also cruds nibs, but I've never had it clog and I've used almost an entire 90mL bottle.

It's also fast drying, doesn't smear, doesn't bleed or feather in fine nibs on cheap paper, and has a crazy silver sheen.

Wow you’ve used up, or almost used up 90ml of ink. Consider me bowing down. I have not finished a bottle of ink.

Posted Image

Sob!! On the Nemosine website, this ink is sold out, and further it says it is discontinued. So very disappointed. I wanted a bottle of it because of your review

Yikes. Glad I got mine last year, then. I ended up buying a bottle whenever I needed to meet a free shipping requirement at various sites, so I ended up with five of them before I knew what hit me: Solar Storm, Alpha Centauri, Coruscant Blue, Halley's Comet Purple, and Twinkle Snowball Nebula. All terrific colors that perform well.