Nemosine Moon Crater Black

Honeybadgers

The real test of any ink maker is its black. Nemosine's doesn't disappoint. It's a very good performer, very middle of the road in terms of waterproofness (very reasonable but you're not going to do any ink washes) dry times (excellent) showthrough/bleed (none) feathering (none, even on bad copy paper) and saturation (medium-high, it's not mega black, but it wouldn't run any risk of being called grey)

If you're keeping track of my ink reviews, this is #6/10 of Nemosine. None of them have been poor performers, If I had to describe them, they're very Sailor like in terms of superb manners, but with a touch more lubrication.

It's an absolutely fantastic choice if you can't control the paper you write on. Not quite as perfect as Registrar's blue black, but it's truly exceptional. As you can see on the reverse page, this stuff is REALLY good for double sided writing, even on copy paper.

It played well in all of my nibs, and I'd definitely say it's a good choice if you need black ink, though it's not the most available (if this stuff was on amazon with prime shipping, I'd call it a must-have. As it stands, if you're already making an order from Goulet or another retailer that offers it, it's a good deal at under $8/bottle). I still have a personal preference for noodlers Dark matter for its history, but this ink will definitely find its way into my pens from time to time.

I do personally like the fact that it shades just a smidge, particularly in drier nibs. It doesn't lean green or blue whatsoever. But if you demand your blacks be 140% saturated, I think perle noir may still be one of the best in that regard.

If you're looking for your first nemosine ink, I still recommend alpha centauri first. It's thusfar been the most standout (excluding blue snowball nebula, which is an amazing shimmer ink)

fpn_1511250152__nemosine_moon_crater_bla

fpn_1511250173__nemosine_moon_crater_bla

fpn_1511250190__nemosine_moon_crater_bla

fpn_1511250235__nemosine_moon_crater_bla

fpn_1511250250__nemosine_moon_crater_bla

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• ENewton

• crahptacular

• RockingLR

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a proper black black. No hint of underlying colour. B)

I have way too many backs and that large bottle of Noodler's Heart of Darkeness is just so so good. For that reason, as they say on Dragons Den, I'm out.

What a name though !!
Thanks for sharing this.

Nice "pure" black.

Nemosine has a nice series with beautiful names.

So many inks already in my possession, but resistance against buying these ones is crumbling....

I think that black inks really must come in bigger bottles - they're not botique, so a 35ml bottle of black ink is kind of dumb. I think this ink really should come in a larger 50-100ml bottle.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Thanks for the review. Not in the need for another black ink, but I've liked Aeolus Palus Red a whole lot.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 3 weeks later...

Nice "pure" black.

Nemosine has a nice series with beautiful names.

So many inks already in my possession, but resistance against buying these ones is crumbling....

lol given the pen's origin, I'm not surprised. Chinese are known for fancy names to describe something. I guess it's just another menu item to craft a name for.

lol given the pen's origin, I'm not surprised. Chinese are known for fancy names to describe something. I guess it's just another menu item to craft a name for.

Care to explain what you mean by this? Neither the pen nor the ink used in this review are Chinese. Not to mention, a large portion of Chinese pens simply have numbers for identification, not "fancy names"... Curious to know what this is all about.