Your Life In Three Pens

Chouffleur

As a snapshot of where you are currently in your pen hobby, list these three pens from your collection:

The pen that you owned at the youngest age [Esterbrook LJ Gray Icicle - 2312 Italic Medium Nib]

Your current favorite [Montblanc 227 - B Nib]

Your most recent purchase [Pelikan P30 Schwarz - OB Nib]

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• corgicoupe

• Sailor Kenshin

• pajaro

Youngest age: Lamy 2000, fine nib.

Current favorite: Pilot Custom 823, broad nib.

Most recent purchase: Airmail 69T with a flex nib and an FPR Darjeeling with a medium nib.

Aloha Chouffleur,

Interesting topic; here are my responses:

• Youngest age pen: Namiki VP with M 14k nib, British Racing Green color, (the faceted plastic one).
  • Current favorite: Pelikan M800, burnt orange color, fitted with 14k, vintage Warranted flex nib, (fine to BB line variation).
  • Most recent purchase: vintage Mont Blanc 256 with M wing nib. Love the wing nib as it gives a flexible, variable width line.

AG_ORD

Youngest age : I remember two; a dove grey Parker 51 my grandfather gave me (I still have it) and a big light blue thing, lever filled flat top, old style clip. It leaked a lot. My teacher disapproved.

Current favourite: always a tough one but I think it's the Montblanc Fitzgerald.

Recent buy : a Montblanc Boheme Platinum Blue; still haven't got it though....slow post.

Hi all,

FIRST PEN, (Late 2015): Ocean Blue Lamy Al-Star; medium nib.

CURRENT THRILLER: L2K; Medium nib.

MOST RECENT PURCHASE: (Another) Platinum 3776 Century, (Chartres Blue); Broad nib, (still waiting for delivery).

- Anthony

Discounting the pen I had for maybe two days as a kid (some sort of Sheaffer).

Youngest age: Lamy Al Star - I believe it was an M, still have the pen, but different nib. (1.1)

Current favorite: Pelikan 140 F- sweetheart of a nib. /Close second: Platinum 3776 Century Bourgogne B

Most recent: Pelikan 140 F

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Youngest age was some sort of pen/pencil combo that had been my grandfather's (long since lost, sadly) when I was a kid. Youngest of when I started actually using fountain pens again was a blue Parker Reflex, M nib (that and the one that succeeded it were given away in a "Pick a Prize" raffle a few years ago; those were both replaced by a Parker Vector when the rubberized grip on the second Reflex went the way of the first one).

Current favorite? It's a toss up between the Plum 51 Demi Aerometric, M nib and the Red Shadow Wave Vac Junior (lockdown filler).

Most recent purchase: red Parker 61, M-ish nib (possibly an F/M -- I haven't compared it to the nibs on other two 61s I own); got it a day after picking up an Azure Blue Pearl Vac Debutante speed line filler, F-ish nib.

Does it say something that they're pretty much all Parkers (possibly even the early combo, because when I bought the Reflex the Parker brand name somehow resonated with me)? :huh:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Youngest age: probably a Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxe - rigid steel F

• Current favourite: see below (recency effect still in full force :) )

• Most recent purchase: Waterman Gentleman 44 - the 1970s model designed by Alain Carré - springy 18K F

Both currently inked, though the Sheaffer is a replacement for the long-lost original.

IMG_5095.jpg

Youngest - Elysee, medium nib. Long since retired because I wore out the clutch ring.

Favorite - Dead tie between Pelikan M800 with 0.9 Binder Italifine and a 1929 oversize Sheaffer's Pearl and Black Lifetime Balance. Both are almost always inked. I smile when I pick either one up to write.

Most Recent - 1916 Mabie Todd & Co. 5 S.F. with the rare solid lever. Restored yesterday and will be inked for the first time in ?? years next weekend.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

First: Pilot Varsity, medium nib. From the first touch of nib to paper I was hooked and needed more.

Current favorite: Montblanc 149, OBBB nib. Incredibly comfortable to use for long writing sessions or note taking, with a fantastically smooth and expressive nib, combined with the ink capacity to keep it going through it all.

Most recent: Platinum 3776, Soft Fine. Wanted to go with a different nib than normal on a beautiful Platinum limited edition, and that fit the bill. I'm actually waiting for it now, bought from Dan Smith, and am very excited.

Edited by benbot517

"Oh deer."

Like many people, my first was likely a cheap Sheaffer in junior high. The pen currently in my collection I've had the longest is a dark blue P45. I know I used it in LA in the 80s and I'm pretty sure I had it when I moved there in '77.

My overall favorite pen is the Pelikan M150, of which I have several inked.

Most recent purchase is, in fact, another black/burgundy M150.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

First: probably a Lamy Safari, which I no longer own (first still owned - a cloisonné FP picked up in China)

Current favorite: Pilot Custom 92, stub nib

Most recent purchase: Mazzouli Moka pen at the DC pen show

Most recent received (these were gifts post-August): olive wood kit pen and a Murano Italian glass dip pen

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Youngest. Sheaffer cartridge pen circa 1965 (The youngest still in my accumulation would be a MB 144 gifted me by my wife; if only she'd have known what she started!)

Current favorite. Newton Prospector in green and black Ebonite with a fine nib.

Newest. Franklin Christopher Model 66 in Garnet with a SIG nib

Edited by Kelly G

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

Chouffleur, I notice you said "...list these three pens from your collection" so I ignore my first fountain pen(s) and limit to the first purchased that I still own.

Waterman Expert II

Too hard, but in current rotation I pull out the Aurora Mare more often than others.

Two arrived today from different sellers: Santini Galaxy and Santini Shanghai, each from their Colours collection.

X

First, Parker 51 midnight blue aerometric, fine point

Current favorite, same Parker 51

Most recent purchase, Pelikan M300 ruby red, fine point changed to extra fine.

A previous recent purchase brought a stainless Sheaffer Prelude, chrome trim, with some italic nibs, including a music nib. There's writing you have to do and be able to read, and then there is stuff you can have some fun with

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

First owned: a transparent Sheaffer cartridge pen, circa 1974 and long, long gone. Earliest still owned: a Cross Radiance, circa 2003 and still a daily carry. (Between: many technical pens.)

Current favorite: A brown tortoise Pelikan M101N, refitted with a wartime CN nib and ebonite feed.

Most recent: A Waterman Watermina with gold Night & Day overlay... which actually can vie for Current Favorite, and not just because it's new. This is a great pen and a definite keeper!

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

First pen: Platinum Preppy - 03 nib. Started me down this rabbit hole. Who knew a $3 pen would wind up being so expensive?

Current favorite: Lamy 2000 - EF nib. Ask me the things I like in a pen and this is the opposite on almost every count. No idea how it wound up my favorite, but it is.

Most recent: Lamy Safari (Petrol) - F nib. The end of my "acquisition phase".

Earliest owned: Parker 51 Demi, burgundy, GF cap, medium nib, given me for my birthday soon after it was put on the market.

Current favorite: A pen of the same specifications as the above, though not the same object. I lost that birthday pen in 1985 and replaced it a few years ago. If I'd replaced it when I lost it, I'd own far fewer pens than I do today. Possibly only one pen.

Most recent purchase: a Pelikan 120, Merz & Krell, black, medium nib.

My first was a flat ended Sheaffer school pen in elementary school.

My favorite is a toss-up between the Scriptorium w/broad steel Masuyama italic & the Bexley Gaston's Special Reserve w/14k stub.

My most recent purchase was probably one of those Jinhao 992s back around when they first hit ebay.