Why?

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

Impressive skills to craft those.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Such an ego, forcing the world to pray for his death to get at his pens...... :doh:

Not that I could have or will be able to afford them....the world is poorer for it. Now if Picasso had not sold his paintings, the world would have been richer for it. ;)

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Wonderful art and pens. Pelikan has a history of going after people who embellish their pens and sell. Ask Tom W. so I think he disclaimer towards the end of the article might be much needed.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thanks for posting. The urushi coated pen is gorgeous!

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Beautiful pens. Fortunately for my wallet, they're also too big and heavy for me....

@ Bo Bo Olsen -- What have you got against Picasso? Even my mother discovered that she liked some of his work. And I'm kind of amazed that "Guernica" was used in the Spain pavilion at the (IIRC) 1936 World's Fair, given its subject matter. I got to see it when I was in Spain in the late 1970s and it's a very powerful piece.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Such an ego, forcing the world to pray for his death to get at his pens...... :doh:

Not that I could have or will be able to afford them....the world is poorer for it. Now if Picasso had not sold his paintings, the world would have been richer for it. ;)

(Kinda sorta what I thought. TeHee. :P )

Thanks for posting. The urushi coated pen is gorgeous!

The urushi is definitely my favorite of the lot.

Amazing what people with skills can do.

What have you got against Picasso? Even my mother discovered that she liked some of his work. And I'm kind of amazed that "Guernica" was used in the Spain pavilion at the (IIRC) 1936 World's Fair, given its subject matter. I got to see it when I was in Spain in the late 1970s and it's a very powerful piece.

It is a powerful piece. That is exactly why the Spanish government exhibited it at the Paris exposition of 1937, the year of the attack on Guernica.

The painting was circulated widely as part of an exhibition organized to raise money for Spanish war relief. It did indeed publicize the damage done by the civil war.

Edited by Jerome Tarshis

Art is what I can not do.....me and a million others could copy his 'style'. If I need an experts advice to what it is supposed to be or say, I don't need it.

'The Painted Word' by Thomas Wolf I believe....I lent is and never got it back. Jackson Pollard had an art critic he painted for....doing exactly what the man wrote, in the '40-50's $50,000 was a huge amount. When his critic whose words he painted died, the price Pollards paintings tumbled to well under $10,000 in he had no critic to push his work.

So it seems one needs to find a young art critic and paint what he writes. Painting an old man's word is a losing idea.

There was a German "BS Artist" name of Boyes....who was a great BS artist and had a few critics. Famous for his dirty toilet he put in a museum, and the putzfrau cleaned it. :thumbup:

I had nothing against him until for an Easter Peace Parade he talked some idiot in a major city into giving him an exact replica of the Crown of St. Steven, Hungery's crown. What beautiful craftsmanship, three color gold, glass jewels. Something he could never do in he lacked the talent and skill. Who knows, I could have forgiven him, had he done more than run out buy a golden foil Easter Rabbit from the local bakery and make a mold of it. :headsmack: :doh: :wallbash: :gaah: And he was paid DM50,000 to ruin something worth while for something any of us could have done, had we been heartless barbarians.

Yes, Picasso could draw.....so much is made of that.....but hundreds could in his time draw as well or better. Paint a Van Dyke, a Monet and what ever you wish....then I know you can paint. Where is Picasso's Van Dyke or his Cezanne?

Salvador Dali had his bent watch painting....well painted. He was opportunistic in selling his stuff, no big deal. I have seen art from him, that was better than I could do. One or two things even if prints I like, with out the wife might even have one or two. She wants only originals. ....and no we can not afford often what we want. :doh: If my wife had stayed at the live auction longer, she could have gotten a picture .... a very nice one, well painted at an affordable price........very affordable. When I see at auctions modern crud going for way too much. I don't have a house ugly enough for such 'paintings'.

Status has nothing to do with good taste as modern art proves, it has to do with I can throw a million dollars way for a splotch or a set of cubes on the wall, or blue squares. :doh:

There was a Picasso collector in the late '60-early 70's that showed Picasso all the pictures of the very many million dollar Picasso paintings he owned, and half Picasso said he'd not painted. How could he know he painted 3-5 every day. But he is easy to copy. For $40 worth of art supplies any one could own a Picasso.

He was a very great BS Artist.

A perhaps fake Da Vinci just went for well over $450 million paid for Leonardo Da Vinci's Salvator Mundi in November 2017. Who ever painted it could paint.

Perhaps my problem is I go to museums, with real paintings in it done by fine to great artists, instead of Modern Art museums. Though I do like Impressionism.

Fuchs, a Dutch or Flemish artist. His picture was in my mothers art book she took in collage right after WW2. I had read it as a child a few times, but never took such a course in collage.

I was at the Brussels Museum when I saw that @ 24 x 18 painting. Two farm women working in the farmyard. If eyes could look knives both would be dead. Hate. I could well understand why his best picture was in an collage art book of my mother. Of course it had balance, and everything a great picture needs.

Hieronymus Bosch & Pieter Bruegel the Elder also had paintings there but it was that painting by Fuchs (Fox) that stayed crystal clear in my mind.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Bo Bo:

I would disagree with a number of things you say, but it is of no real matter... What I do agree with in every way is your getting the fundamentals right for you! And that is perfectly stated in "...but it was that painting by Fuchs (Fox) that stayed crystal clear in my mind." Those things that stay Crystal Clear in your mind or in my or anyone's mind That Is The Thing! Drink long at that well - it is where nourishment is found for each according to his or her needs.

This is where we see the arts as Erotic - that is from Eros - the attraction to.

Edited by LanceSaintPaul

@ Bo Bo Olsen -- Don't suppose you remember the title of the painting offhand? I'm now curious as to what it is.

Okay, Picasso did not have the draftsmanship skills of, say, Albrecht Dürer or Hans Holbein (two of my favorite artists). But he was "classically" trained, and was able to use that training as a starting point to go off into his own style.

Back when I was still living with my parents, there was a Picasso retrospective at the Museum of Modern Art in NYC, and IBM ran a bus trip down to it (my dad worked for the research division). And my mother was HIGHLY skeptical of Picasso, until she saw a painting from the Rose Period, of, IIRC two boys leading a horse -- and then she would happily have taken it out of its frame, rolled it up, and taken the canvas home from the museum tucked under her arm.... Not, of course that we had the wall space in our house for it....

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

"Now the girls would turn the color of an avocado

When he'd drive down their street in his El Dorado

Why he was only 5'3"

Girls could not resist his stare

Pablo Picasso was never called an a**hole

Not in New York

Yeah"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl8sWnUZVL4

Edited by Tweel

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)