The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Converter For Platinum Preppy

platinum preppy baystate blue

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 gibbs

gibbs

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2017 - 20:55

I've ordered some samples of ink recently one of them being noodlers baystate blue, now I have read that as an ink it can be abit more work than some standard inks in regards to cleaning etc.

So I figured that I'd test it in a pen that I wouldn't be overly bothered about if something went wrong and at being less than £3 to replace and being a smoothish writer out the box the preppy sounds perfect for this. 

Is it a case that the standard platinum converters work in which case I'll order two when I get the one for my 3776, or am I going to have to wait until I've used up the blue/black cartridge in the 3776 and giving that a good clean.

Sponsored Content

#2 ehemem

ehemem

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2017 - 21:58

Yes, use the standard Platinum converter in the Preppy. 

#3 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,239 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2017 - 22:37

I'd just refill the cart. The converter can never be properly cleaned after housing BSB.

#4 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• 5,063 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2017 - 22:59

Yep. Refil the cartridge. Without doubt the toughest cartridges I've ever used. I've yet had one fail on me. B)

#5 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• 8,905 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:24

For BSB I would use the cart. Why spend $7 on a converter for a $3 pen that you are going to use an ink like BSB in?

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#6 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• 7,001 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2017 - 04:15

You can get a batch of 4 3rd party Platinum converters for less than the cost of one genuine one --

https://www.ebay.com...pgAAOSwDD9Zyhpx

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

#7 gibbs

gibbs

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:50

Does anyone know if the preppy has any issues using the international adaptor as they are cheap and easily available here plus I have a few empty international short cartridges available already and have a few pens that use them so have a more ready supply.

You can get a batch of 4 3rd party Platinum converters for less than the cost of one genuine one --

That's is an interesting idea are they any good considering I can get a genuine platinum one for a few pence more here

For BSB I would use the cart. Why spend $7 on a converter for a $3 pen that you are going to use an ink like BSB in?

I did have a plan for that since if it was a case that I liked the colour and how the ink behaved chances are I'd evntually move to a pen further up the platinum line such as a platinum cool or the PTL-5000. And if not I'd give the converter a good rinse out and dedicate it to carbon ink as that also stains clear plastic

Edited by gibbs, 20 November 2017 - 10:51.

#8 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• 5,063 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:52

Does anyone know if the preppy has any issues using the international adaptor as they are cheap and easily available here plus I have a few empty international short cartridges available already and have a few pens that use them so have a more ready supply.

That's is an interesting idea are they any good considering I can get a genuine platinum one for a few pence more here

I did have a plan for that since if it was a case that I liked the colour and how the ink behaved chances are I'd evntually move to a pen further up the platinum line such as a platinum cool or the PTL-5000. And if not I'd give the converter a good rinse out and dedicate it to carbon ink as that also stains clear plastic

No issues at all I have two and both work. I prefer their cartrides though.

#9 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 8,239 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2017 - 13:12

I've used the international adaptor, and it works well, but once it's in, it wants to stay that way.

#10 Olya

Olya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 22:13

I never knew there were 3rd party Platinum converters! Do these work? I'll order some.

Are there 3rd party Sailor or Pilot or Parker converters?

The only type of converter I know you can get for cheap (and I did) are standard international, which worked in my Waterman but won't get into any Pelikan. I despise how Pelikan made their nipple and the trouble with converters!!

To the OP, for any highly staining ink like BSB I'd refill cartridges. It's quick and easy, even though it sounds like a right kerfuffle. I think you can refill Platinum carts even via eyedropper, the opening is quite wide, but I always have used a syringe. Imo Platinum, Sailor & Pilot carts are the very best around, I have yet to wear one out on me and I don't even strictly remember which one I used how often, but they last and last..

Or buy these cheapo 3rd party converters and tell us (me!) how they are! I'll for sure order some too, gobsmacked they even exist and the price is quite good. Irresistible, really.

Btw, I have once used the Platinum adaptor for international carts and had no trouble getting it out, all it takes is a good pair of tweezers and a bit of muscle power and it gets out. The side where I pulled it out was a bit mangled (I didn't grip it well enough), but it has no effect on performance, just don't grab the nipple, but the side.

#11 Qoan

Qoan

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2017 - 22:43

I never knew there were 3rd party Platinum converters! Do these work?

I have never used a genuine Platinum converter, so I cannot compare, but these 3rd party converters do work as well as any standard pump converter and they fit very securely.

Regarding the adapter, I have never had any problem placing it and getting it out (with tweezers) but with dryer inks the flow can be significantly reduced. I've used it for years with Manuscript Sepia without a problem, but once I tried it with Pelikan 4001 Turquoise and I just ended up getting the ink out of the cartridge and into one of those converters, after which it flew perfectly fine. So it should work with BSB, I guess.

Edited by Qoan, 20 November 2017 - 22:47.

#12 mke

mke

Read my lips: No more (pens/inks/paper)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:47

In many of my pens I use converters but with Sailors, Pilots and Platinum, I often use refilled cartridges. Most cartridges have more volume than converters, especially Platinum.

However, I like the CON-70 of Pilot.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: platinum, preppy, baystate blue

Sponsored Content

|