The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Somewhat Flexy Lapis Eternal 44

13 replies to this topic

#1 crescentfiller

crescentfiller

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 19:46

swan etn44 set.jpg I don't collect Mabie Todd fountain pens, though I do admire their quality and design.

While out hunting recently, I acquired this set. I've no idea what I'll do with it, but I couldn't pass it up, given the color and condition, and the fact that it was in the original box.

It has crisp imprints with the white still in them, top and bottom. 

And the nib has an awful lot of flex!

Sponsored Content

#2 Cob

Cob

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2017 - 19:59

That's a beautiful set.  Tell me, is the nib actually stamped Eternal?

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

#3 crescentfiller

crescentfiller

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 20:33

Yes, Cob, it is:

Swan

Eternal

14CT

#4 PaulS

PaulS

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 915 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2017 - 21:47

wonderful find, congratulations - I don't think many of us could pass it by.                 I have Eternal nibs in sizes 2, 4 and 6 - and they're all nails  -  it seems unusual to find one 'somewhat flexy' - presumably not quite so thick perhaps.        None of my three are Eternal pens.

#5 Cob

Cob

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,477 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2017 - 22:01

Yes, Cob, it is:

Swan

Eternal

14CT

Thanks; you have something exceptional then.  I have had at least half a dozen eternals, including 2, 3, 4 and 6.  All utterly rigid.  I have two or three in my spares box that are really just a  waste of space for me, if they were broad I'd convert them to stubs.

Meanwhile such lovely examples of MT's lovely Lapis are a joy to behold.  

Best wishes

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

#6 eachan

eachan

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2017 - 22:17

My goodness, that's a beautiful set!  There are so many different varieties of lapis lazuli, but I think the Mabie Todd version has all the rest beat.  Such a wonderfully rich and pure blue!

Regards,

Eachan

#7 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• 976 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:58

That is a fantastic set!  Great color!

#8 PaulS

PaulS

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 915 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:50

here is a piece of lapis that came from a boot sale some few years back, it's about 6 inches long  -  shows they got that beautiful blue spot on for the pen.              What the white is I'm not sure - could be quartz  - and the stone looks to have a sprinkling of very fine mica/aventurine (?) inclusions, which give a bit of sparkle.                  I did hear that the best material came from Afghanistan.

Attached Images

• Lapis.jpg

#9 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2017 - 04:13

The star of my husband’s mineral collection is a lapis boulder about the size of a deflated football. A wonderful piece of geology. He turned up his nose at a very nice meteor that day.

#10 crescentfiller

crescentfiller

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 09:19

The star of my husband’s mineral collection is a lapis boulder about the size of a deflated football. A wonderful piece of geology. He turned up his nose at a very nice meteor that day.

I'm not really interested in keeping this lapis set, but I think I'd hang onto that lapis football!

#11 PaulS

PaulS

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 915 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2017 - 22:06

yes, but wouldn't it hurt your foot?

#12 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,266 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:25

Yeah, if I was a geologist I might very well pass over a meteor for a piece of lapis as large as you say....

Back in 1976 I got to go on a trip to Russia with my parents (well, it was still officially the USSR back then).  Once of the places we toured was The Hermitage, in Leningrad/St. Petersburg, and I remember that there were rooms where the pillars were veneered in either lapis lazuli or malachite (and at least one I think was BOTH). 

I don't normally collect sets -- but if I had run across that Mabie Todd set I would have (assuming I could have afforded it, of course) definitely made an exception....  

Hmmmm.  I don't think I have *nearly* enough blue pens.....  :huh:  Now all I need to to is buy a winning lottery ticket....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#13 crescentfiller

crescentfiller

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:36

Ruth, I'd be glad to sell you a winning lottery number....

In fact, if you buy the lottery ticket, I'll throw in the set!

Best,

Daniel

PS Attention Moderator: Fear not!  It's just banter and not an actual offer to sell!

#14 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• 976 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2017 - 00:06

Winning lottery tickets and football sized blue stones are exemt from the rules, so you are quite safe.

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|