The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Montblanc 146... Real Or Fake?!

montblanc 146 realorfake help pen pleasehelp

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 xiatix

xiatix

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2017 - 16:49

Hello. I have been given this pen for my eighteenth birthday, and i love it... but i have some questions whether it is real or not. It was given to me by my grandfather i i have no idea what year it is(surely not new) and some aspects don't match... help me please!

I was using red ink, so the slot for the ink capacity is red for that reason, i have polished it with micromeshed and tampered with the nib a bit because i wanted to tune it perfectly, and i love doing this stuff by myself

Attached Images

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by xiatix, 19 November 2017 - 19:05.

Sponsored Content

#2 Wolverine1

Wolverine1

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,541 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 13:24

It looks like a real MB pen. You might post this question on the Mont Blanc sub-forum where a lot of experts will see your question, and thus will comment on the question.

EDIT by Moderator:

Already moved the post to the Montblanc forum

Edited by RMN, 22 November 2017 - 14:23.

#3 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 15:02

This one looks like an authentic Meisterstück Le Grand or 146.  :)

Micromesh is too rough to use on the resin surface of a pen.  :yikes: Only use a Sunshine cloth or maybe a little plastic polish

#4 torstar

torstar

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,243 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 15:21

That looks good, piston filler?

Is there a serious market for fake 146?

#5 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 16:04

That looks good, piston filler?

Is there a serious market for fake 146?

There are some that are a similar size but they are C/C fillers. Some say there are fake piston fillers but the closest I've ever seen had an internal converter inside and you unscrewed the end cone to twist it.

#6 Prof7

Prof7

Dipped Only

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2017 - 21:09

The barrel and cap should not be opaque, for one thing.  There are a number of blogs, reviews, etc. on the net that can help you discover whether your pen is a fake.  The FP Network is very helpful here.  Just Google the following:  how to spot a fake Montblanc pen.

#7 Kalessin

Kalessin

Antique

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 23:10

Well, the barrel and cap should be opaque (you should not be able to see through them under normal lighting conditions), and the plastic may glow through red if you put a bright light behind it.

The pen has every appearance of being genuine.  The little lip on the end of the gripping section, just before where the nib is, does look right, as do the threads.  The scrollwork and lettering on the nib also looks right.  Piston-filling fakes are exceptionally rare  as they are expensive to manufacture; while there is rumor they exist, I don't believe we have ever seen one in this forum.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,
chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.
(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

#8 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 23:21

Well, the barrel and cap should be opaque (you should not be able to see through them under normal lighting conditions), and the plastic may glow through red if you put a bright light behind it.

The pen has every appearance of being genuine.  The little lip on the end of the gripping section, just before where the nib is, does look right, as do the threads.  The scrollwork and lettering on the nib also looks right.  Piston-filling fakes are exceptionally rare  as they are expensive to manufacture; while there is rumor they exist, I don't believe we have ever seen one in this forum.

+1   :)

#9 siamackz

siamackz

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,255 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:24

Looks like a 1970s MB based on its ink window and split ebonite feed. Great pen and great version/period. Good 18th birthday gift - lucky you :)

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

My free restoration service--> link

#10 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,761 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:34

Looks like a 1970s MB based on its ink window and split ebonite feed. Great pen and great version/period. Good 18th birthday gift - lucky you :)

1970s to mid 1980s uses a gold monotone nib. That looks like a late 1980snpen before they moved to the slotted ink view.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

#11 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• 5,761 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:36

Several photos of the fakes with pistons have been posted, but in the 149 size. The ones I am thinking of are demonstrators. I have one and have posted photos of it before. I am on my phone so cannot post again here.

Edited by zaddick, 23 November 2017 - 01:37.

#12 ian1964

ian1964

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:13

I wouldn"t put much store in the "red glow" test as both my counterfeit Mb glow red when a pen torch is used.

#13 siamackz

siamackz

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,255 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 13:18

1970s to mid 1980s uses a gold monotone nib. That looks like a late 1980snpen before they moved to the slotted ink view.

correct, I missed the dual tone nib - I have a 70s monotone nib so I shouldve know

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

My free restoration service--> link

#14 torstar

torstar

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,243 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 16:59

I wouldn"t put much store in the "red glow" test as both my counterfeit Mb glow red when a pen torch is used.

exactly

#15 torstar

torstar

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,243 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 17:00

thanks Zaddick, as always on here!

#16 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 17:01

Several photos of the fakes with pistons have been posted, but in the 149 size. The ones I am thinking of are demonstrators. I have one and have posted photos of it before. I am on my phone so cannot post again here.

Are these not specially made demonstrator pens rather than cheap fakes?  :huh:

#17 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,557 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 23:49

What a wonderful 146. Congratulations on this beautiful present. You are loved.

Edited by meiers, 23 November 2017 - 23:50.

#18 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• 5,761 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:59

Are these not specially made demonstrator pens rather than cheap fakes?  :huh:

Yes, the ones I have seen are demo pens, but if they were made of black resin instead they would be pretty good fakes. The cost of all the plastic and metal bits other than the nib are pretty low so it is easily feasible to make a fake piston filler 149 or 149. I am not saying they are common, just that the fact a pen is a piston fill is no longer a guarantee in itself of a genuine pen.

#19 xiatix

xiatix

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2017 - 17:31

Thank you all! I am really glad i have this wonderful pen to write with and will continue with my passion about fountain pens surely, what a great forum❤️

#20 xiatix

xiatix

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2017 - 19:19

What a wonderful 146. Congratulations on this beautiful present. You are loved.

thank you very much!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: montblanc, 146, realorfake, help, pen, pleasehelp

Sponsored Content

|