The Parker 25 - Icon Of The Future Or Poorly Designed Marketing Ploy?

P25B

There's a New Yorker cartoon with the caption that says something like "Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, and discovering it's New Jersey."...... :lticaptd:

I did that once. New Jersey Turnpike is more boring than the NY Turnpike. ... Some folks from NY said that was the high point of New Jersey.......

Pre gambling in Atlantic City.

Ft. Dix...somehow I passed through that....luckily didn't have a reason to stay. That must be the low point of NJ.

Ah, it wasn't that bad, got to play with guns and machine guns and didn't have to salute anyone....Johnson's War has started and we...Air Explorers from Mannheim had worked at the Worlds Fair in '65. Then our space A troop ship took off for SF.....so we needed someplace to stay until our community got up the random money for a flight back....which is why I don't have a glider license. That money went for paying back.

One of the most difficult things to do is to play ping pong on a 14,000 ton liberty troop ship in the middle of the Atlantic. B) Learned that on the way to the States. We had upper deck privileges.

Unfortunately, after three days the captain stopped us from fleecing the soldiers in the hold in poker. I don't think we was as nice as he thought us to be. He must have forgotten we was Army Brats.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• P25B

• ParkerDuofold

• PaulS

• mitto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Appreciate your interpretation of the word pre-owned - it was just that I have this notion it meant 'owned previously'?? - i.e. not brand new ....... perhaps it's one of those differences of meaning depending on which side of the pond you're standing

No, in fact I thought the term originated on this side of the pond...

This takes me back to my car selling days in college in the mid to late '80s; when the term, "pre-owned," was relatively new. ;)

It has its roots in the phrase, "previously owned,"

...And car sales were what I had in mind as the source of the term -- a neologism akin to referring to a sale as an "event" (gag). It's just a curmudgeonly peculiarity on my part regarding language: to me, the prefix "pre" means "before", it's not properly a contraction of "previously". Thus, "pre-recorded" should mean "live". (Does "prefix" mean it used to be a fix? Does "predecessor" imply a resurrectee? And so on and so forth, etc. etc. :) )

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

I remember recently, a member who collected vintage razors, and stumbled into fountain pens purely because the P25 was designed by some famous designer Johnnie who was his favourite designer of razors.

He also posted pics of razors and 25s together, and to be honest, it was all pretty impressive, and that could also be part of the reason why they are "collected" too.

Can't remember the member, or the designer, but I certainly viewed the 25 differently after his enthusing about them.

I remember looking at the Italix English Curate for the first time and thinking, "the back end looks like a Parker 25 which to me shows that the p25s design can be viewed upon as somewhat iconic.

Ian

Kenneth Grange. He also designed the Kenwood Chef, those diesel trains with a yellow nose that have been in use since the early '70s and are pretty much the whole of the country's rolling stock at this point and a bunch of other stuff besides.

I remember recently, a member who collected vintage razors, and stumbled into fountain pens purely because the P25 was designed by some famous designer Johnnie who was his favourite designer of razors.

He also posted pics of razors and 25s together, and to be honest, it was all pretty impressive, and that could also be part of the reason why they are "collected" too.

Can't remember the member, or the designer, but I certainly viewed the 25 differently after his enthusing about them.

I remember looking at the Italix English Curate for the first time and thinking, "the back end looks like a Parker 25 which to me shows that the p25s design can be viewed upon as somewhat iconic.

Ian

There's a link to that post by Darkbulb in my post (#18) above. Here it is again: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/305864-kenneth-grange/

I owned a Parker 25 long before knowing anything about Kenneth Grange or his connection to some other objects I appreciate. Learning the connection added to my appreciation somehow.

'Classic' in the context of pens suggests something flat-topped or cigar-shaped to me.

...I did that once. New Jersey Turnpike is more boring than the NY Turnpike. ... Some folks from NY said that was the high point of New Jersey.......

Pre gambling in Atlantic City.

Ft. Dix...somehow I passed through that....luckily didn't have a reason to stay. That must be the low point of NJ...

Now hang on a minute, BoBo; I'll have you know NJ has some pretty nice places... it's not all pine barrens and chemical plants... it's just that we keep them well hidden... if the New Yorkers (or Philadelphians) ever discovered them, they'd ruin the place. :rolleyes: :D

- Anthony

Mmm. Cool pen. I'm 0 for 5 on 51s. They just never worked for me. But I will try the 25. Like the look.

I like 25's and have a dozen or two.

That said, they are "of an era", and in many peoples minds probably share a place with Pong, the Mustang II, Skylab, the pocket fisherman, and avacado green, all of which should stay firmly in the '70's...

Hi bsenn,

...the Mustang II, much as I dislike it, there is a definite resemblance between that and the P25, it's the back I think... the main difference is... I do like the P25's. I see the odd Mk II on the Uk roads (Mustang mk II, not P25), and they are odd! As you say, those should stay in the 70's

Edited by P25B

If you go to http://parkercollector.com you will find a history of the development of the Parker 25. This pen was designed and manufactured in Parker's Newhaven UK plant. It was aimed toward a certain age group. I'm not sure whether this model ever reached the USA. Other members may have researched more thoroughly than I have done.

Thanks for the link Pickwick. I had a good look at that when I was searching for my first one. Very interesting and the whole site has been really well put together. It's one of my bookmarked pages.

I'm definitely in the pro 25 camp. I like the design a lot (first Parker that didn't set out to look sort of like an older model since the 45?) I don't expect flex from a modern pen (insert dig at Noodlers here) even if modern was thirty or forty years back (and that's part of the appeal, frankly: they still had modernity as a thing in design rather than pastiche and retro). Hell, I won't even diss them for the felt tip thing as I think it's a real shame that posh felt tips were killed off by the rollerball.

It looks great, it writes well, it's comfortable in the hand and short of bending the nib, it's pretty solid for a fountain pen as well. What's not to like?

Dogpoet, I like the cut of your jib!

On the other hand the Parker 51... my Latin teacher had a gold plated 51 and I coveted it madly. Also the red ink he used in it, and of which far too much ended up correcting my exercises...

I don't know how other people rate the nib?

Still, it's impressive to see a collection of the different variations. I had no idea there were so many!

amk, have you been able to get hold of a Gold Plated 51? Did you ever use Latin?

I have to say the P25 I had at school became a regular hard starter eventually, but it didn't put me off. If I had known how easy they were to clean, I would have spent time on it.

I suppose I have been used to nails so when I get a pen nib with a bit of flex, it surprises me. I have recently bought a couple of dip pens with flexible nibs. My daughter loves them!

Thanks for the praise on my collection!

Edited by P25B

Hi,

Every time I load a P25 I ask 'Where have you been hiding?' No reply.

(Perhaps they play volleyball when I'm not around.)

Bye,

S1

Hi S1,

Thanks for the P25 love. Perhaps we could form a P25 volleyball league?

Nice collection P25B - I see you still need the white example, which I bought for £5 at a boot sale - but then I've yet to find a green

Thanks PaulS, Still need to keep my eyes peeled and wallet open for the white ones, I think there are 4 versions of the fountain pen alone in the white, then add in the rollerball, ballpoint etc. I've got a bit of time though... let me know if you get tired of yours and I can offer you £6.00 for it 😁

P.S.: I might have to buy one of those 25's... it'll be a nice complement to the Shaeffer Targa. :)

EDITED to correct typo.

Go on Anthony, try one!

I vote icon and (spiritual at least) precursor of the Montblanc M and Lamy Aion. Both Marc Newson and Jasper Morrison are the right age to have used one at school ...

Catbert, I would love to think of Jasper Morrison using a P25. A bit of a design hero of mine! I'm pleased you're on the icon side!

I remember walking into Economy Books in Syracuse back in the 80s, and seeing the 25 in the display case. I thought they were kind of weird looking with barrel end and short nib. I've had a couple, in both stainless and black. Note the past tense. I never really liked the pen. The nib units really aren't repairable if damaged either. Icon? No. The Duofold and Vacumatics already hold that spot. I'll refrain from commenting farther because I'd likely offend someone.

RonZ - I'm offended... I'm over it! It's good that we're able to say what we do like and what we don't. It's only a pen after all... thanks for your comment.

I have not owned one, but one should have collections of pens that one likes and/or are sentimental or nostalgic for one. I bought a 51 after college, and the 51 was what I was into. I never liked other Parkers until the Sonnet, and we see where that one went, but they can be sorted out.

If the 25 appeals to you, collect it.

Thanks pajaro... I'm collecting it! I'm also looking at other flighters and chrome finish Sheaffers too now. I recently got a Sheaffer 444. I love the look of the nib!

Hi S1,

Thanks for the P25 love. Perhaps we could form a P25 volleyball league?

Hi,

I reckon there is a local league, and that Penny (John_down_the_road's Alsatian) is a prime enabler - moving the pens to and fro under cover of darkness. A harmless pastime, so I don't bar the doors and windows

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

At various times I've mentioned that It is so ugly that it is cute; and that alone is an anti-theft feature.

:lticaptd:

I had to go do research on P25s to see what they looked like, and I think this definition is pretty apropos....

Interesting looking, but I think that for modern-ish low-end Parkers I'll stick to my Vectors....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

:lticaptd:

I had to go do research on P25s to see what they looked like, and I think this definition is pretty apropos....

Interesting looking, but I think that for modern-ish low-end Parkers I'll stick to my Vectors....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Hi Ruth,

I know they hurt some people's eyes, so thanks for taking the time to look into them. For some reason I always gloss over the Vector, I don't know why as i think they are a decent looking pen, but just can't bring myself to by one. It's the same with the 15 too... did Parker ever do a flighter version of the Vector? I do keep drooling over the Pilot MYU though. It's my 50th next year, so may treat myself then. I'm not sure what excuse I can give to my wife for all the other pens I'm going to buy though, I'm only 50 once...