The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Dating A No Nonsense Calligraphy Set

no nonsense calligraphy set

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 d3smar

d3smar

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2017 - 17:25

Hello everyone!
I was wondering if someone could help me to approximately date this calligraphy set.
My guess is that it dates back in the 80s but I could be terribly wrong so I'm asking for your help.
Cheers!

Attached Images

• 1.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 vicpen123

vicpen123

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:29

I have a set with the same text on the clear sleeve and three differing size italic nibs with a single barrel and cap that I purchased in the late 80s in Melbourne Australia.

My set also has some text on the back of the clear sleeve showing the different nibs as Fine .030" Medium .050" Broad .070" and further information on calligraphy, cartridges and colours.

I bought the set for my children who never used it and now I am hoping one or more of my grandchildren will show an interest.

The brown, green and blue black cartridges have never been used and still have some original ink flowing inside.

#3 d3smar

d3smar

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2017 - 18:42

I have a set with the same text on the clear sleeve and three differing size italic nibs with a single barrel and cap that I purchased in the late 80s in Melbourne Australia.

My set also has some text on the back of the clear sleeve showing the different nibs as Fine .030" Medium .050" Broad .070" and further information on calligraphy, cartridges and colours.

I bought the set for my children who never used it and now I am hoping one or more of my grandchildren will show an interest.

The brown, green and blue black cartridges have never been used and still have some original ink flowing inside.

Thank you for your reply vicpen123. The set I own is as well as the one you describe. Hope your grandchildren will share your fountain pen passion and enjoy this calligraphy set one day.

Edited by d3smar, 21 November 2017 - 18:45.

#4 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,645 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2017 - 19:21

This is Sheaffer Calligrapgy NoNonsense pen and not the traditional NoNensense. Not even the later version Viewpoint NN.

Edited by mitto, 21 November 2017 - 19:48.

Khan

#5 d3smar

d3smar

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2017 - 20:25

I believe it was clear enough on topic's title that it's a NoNonsense calligraphy set

Edited by d3smar, 21 November 2017 - 20:26.

#6 vicpen123

vicpen123

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2017 - 00:51

Is there a difference between the Calligraphy NoNonsense Pen By Sheaffer (as described on the clear sleeve of the set) and an ordinary non-calligraphy NoNonsense?

In the calligraphy set, the feed, nib and section are a single unit with a nipple to accept a cartridge. All of the nibs that fit the barrel that I have managed to find since the purchase of the set have been italic nibs.

Were standard non-itallic nibs made to fit the section and barrel of the Calligraphy NoNonsense pen or did the non-calligraphy barrels only accommodate standard nibs and sections of different construction and threads?

#7 Barry Gabay

Barry Gabay

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 01:09

The two are identical: same caps, barrel, & front end unit (section, nib, feed.) All parts are interchangeable. The sole difference is the end of the nib. The standard NN came with F or M rounded writing nib. The NN Calligraphy came with F, M, & B italic nibs.  

For the original poster: In the 1980s & early 90s, I purchased  NN Calligraphy sets like yours, a swell as the larger set which also included instruction booklet and a dozen or more cartridges in all Skrip colors. Enjoy. 

OP: If you remove the gray plastic tray from the cardboard box, there are Skrip cartridges underneath.

Edited by Barry Gabay, 22 November 2017 - 01:11.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: no nonsense, calligraphy set

Sponsored Content

|