Bexley Prometheus, Updated Version, Informal Review

penspenspenspenspens

TL;DR A very well-made, wider-than-average pen with lovely 1920's styling. Excellent value for the dollar, considering the quality, though priced a bit above entry-level.

(Apologies for no pictures in this informal review. I'll try to get that working if I post more reviews...)

While researching pens, I discovered that Bexley Pens makes pens in small batches and sells them through eBay. Apparently these pens are not made in large enough quantity to be found through typical pen retailers. In fact, the Prometheus is barely mentioned on Bexley Pen's own web site!

The description in the eBay postings says that Bexley used to produce a version of Prometheus that had a #8 nib and a piston filling system, and I'm reasonably certain there are reviews of that earleir generation pen here at FPN and at other sites.

This is a review of the updated Prometheus that I got for about $80 on eBay.

The pen came in a typical cardboard shipping box. The pen itself was surrounded with balls of newspaper, and inside a small zip-locked bag. I was very pleased not to have gotten it in a gift box, because I'm biased towards paying for more pen and less box.

I had read about how Bexley pens had good fit and finish, and now I know this for myself: this pen just feels better made than my less expensive pens. In fact, I'll confess that sometimes I find myself unscrewing and screwing the cap just because the threads are so precise and smooth.

The cap takes a few more turns than, let's say, my Conklin Duragraphs to get on and off. I've read that some pen owners hate that, but I really like the extra twists required. That cap is never going to come off unless I want it to.

Here are some other features that will help you decide if the Bexley Prometheus, updated version, is right for you.

The pen is only as long as a Conklin Duragraph, but it's thicker. I like thick pens, so this is what I've been looking for.

The pen has no step between the section and the body, so if you hold the pen behind the section, as I tend to, you won't have to deal with the different widths of different parts of the pen.

The body's threads are non-intrusive, so if you tend to grip behind the section, you won't notice the threads if that's where your grip lands.

The pen seems no heavier than a more typical width pen made of similar materials. I enjoy the width *and* the heft of my Jinao 159 pens, but I'm starting to get why people prefer lighter pens, and the Bexley Prometheus updated version is average (in a good way) in this regard.

The pen comes with a #6 nib. I have learned how to swap nibs, and I've become biased towards buying pens that use #6 nibs so that I'm not limited to the nib a pen comes with.

The pen's nib (I got a broad) is smooth and requires a tiny bit of pressure to get the ink flowing. There's maybe a tiny bit of feedback, but for the most part, it's very smooth. I'm biased towards smooth nibs and I like the feel of this nib.

I'm also biased towards a nib that requires zero pressure beyond gravity putting the pen to page. If you share this bias, you may find the nib's requirement for a slight amount of pressure to be a downside. I'll be honest: I'm thinking of tinkering with or swapping the nib to see if I can get more flow. But when I gave the pen to two other fountain pen aficionados, they got the ink flowing right away, because everybody applies more pressure than I do.

The pen uses a standard converter (which it ships with) and international cartridges. People looking for a larger ink capacity will have to look elsewhere.

Hopefully I've detailed enough of my biases and enough of the pen's features to help you decide if the Bexley Prometheus, updated version, is right for you. This pen caters to all of my biases, and it is my current favorite.

Edited by penspenspenspenspens

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sansenri

• Kelly G

• Federalist Pens

• penspenspenspenspens

Thanks for the review. I've carried one of these pens for the last few months as it is quite reliable and trouble free. Mine is the Raspberry ebonite version with a medium nib. I've kept it filled with Iroshizuku Yama-Guri from the start and the ink flows very well. Bexley makes a quality pen.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

thank you, very useful review.

I hold my pens quite high, just hate step down between barrel and section, and yes, my fingers are always on the threads, so it's important for me that the threads be smooth.

I have bough other Bexleys directly from Howard, and I appreciate the quality of the products even when prototypes.

I am looking at this pen among his offers, I just wonder how wide the section is, as this does look like a big pen.

Certainly it would have been nice to try the #8 nibbed version...

Yes- Howard only sells these models directly at Pen Shows, and the Bay...

Nice Review! Nice Pen!

(Saw these in Ohio- I could not buy any..)

Frank

Bexley Dealer

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

could not resist, I was actually waiting for one of the bamboo versions to show up...

so I bought one from Howard just a couple of days ago, it should now be on its way.

Howard's prices are good enough that even with shipment and tax included all the way to Italy cost is still very reasonable.
The photo is from the ebay listing...

fpn_1512078091__bexley_prometheus_blue_b

• 5 years later...
On 11/30/2017 at 4:43 PM, sansenri said:

fpn_1512078091__bexley_prometheus_blue_b

Which color pattern is this? I am very much intrigued as it appears to match a colour swatch that I have been chasing for the better part of 2 years. I don't have to have a matching pen, but if it is available, I will probably look for one.

Song of the week: “Someday” (One Republic)

If your car has them, make sure to change your timing belts every 80-100,000 miles. (Or shorter if specified in the manual)

On 11/18/2017 at 9:48 AM, penspenspenspenspens said:

The description in the eBay postings says that Bexley used to produce a version of Prometheus that had a #8 nib and a piston filling system, and I'm reasonably certain there are reviews of that earleir generation pen here at FPN and at other sites.

I used to collect and use many Bexley FPs (over a dozen I think) and had an original Prometheus.  It was going to be the the ultimate pen in my Bexley collection.  Unfortunately the pen has serious problems and “burped” ink every few words. Ink went everywhere. (I have pictures somewhere.)  The pen was returned to Bexley, as I recall was unrepairable, and my money was refunded.  That Prometheus broke my interest in Bexley pens and I since sold most of mine (I still have a Ripple Ebonite Deluxe and one with the “Cone Cap”).