Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• 3rdlakerobert

• RICARDOBORBA

• mitto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, Folks!

I did a re-shoot of this pen that I think turned out better.

This is a Sheaffer Snorkel Clipper Pastel Gray c1952-1956. Pastel Gray was one of the original Snorkel colors introduced in 1952. The fountain pen has a Triumph palladium-silver alloy nib (some are hallmarked PdAg), polished stainless steel cap with a repeating pattern of four straight longitudinal engraved lines in a stepped grouping, gold-filled cap band, gold-filled clip, and plastic barrel. Barrel colors produced were black, burgundy, pastel gray, pastel blue (or aqua), pastel green, peacock blue, buckskin tan, mandarin orange, fiesta red, and sage green. The Clipper fountain pen is 5 1/2 inches long and sold for $18.50. The matching pencil sold for $7.50.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferSnorkelClipperPastelGray_1280_02.jpg

Thanks!

Jim and Walther-PPQ, thanks so much for all these wonderful Snorkel photos. Please keep them coming!

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Snorkel Sentinel Mandarin Orange fountain pen c. 1956-1959. The fountain pen has a two-tone plated 14 karat gold Triumph nib, polished stainless steel cap with a repeating pattern of four straight longitudinal engraved lines in a stepped grouping, gold-filled cap band, gold-filled clip, and plastic barrel. Barrel colors produced from 1952 to 1955 were black, burgundy, pastel gray, pastel blue (or aqua), and pastel green. Peacock blue, buckskin tan, mandarin orange, fiesta red, fern green, and periwinkle blue were added later. The Sentinel fountain pen is 5 ½ inches long and sold for $20.00 in 1954 and $22.50 by 1955. The matching pencil sold for $7.50. Note the clip tag with the model name and price.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferSnorkelSentinelMandarin_1280_03.jpg

Thanks!

Edited by PenHero
Corrected the color list

Hi, Folks!

The earliest reference I've seen on the new Snorkel colors is an ad in the Detroit Free Press from December 10, 1956 mentioning Mandarin Orange and Peacock Blue on the Statesman as "fashion hues."

This is a Sheaffer Snorkel Sentinel Periwinkle Blue fountain pen c. 1956-1959. The fountain pen has a two-tone plated 14 karat gold Triumph nib, polished stainless steel cap with a repeating pattern of four straight longitudinal engraved lines in a stepped grouping, gold-filled cap band, gold-filled clip, and plastic barrel. Barrel colors produced from 1952 to 1955 were black, burgundy, pastel gray, pastel blue (or aqua), and pastel green. Peacock blue, buckskin tan, mandarin orange, fiesta red, fern green, and periwinkle blue were added later. The Sentinel fountain pen is 5 ½ inches long and sold for $20.00 in 1954 and $22.50 by 1955. The matching pencil sold for $7.50. Note the color match section.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferSnorkelSentinelPeriwinkle_1280_01.jpg

Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Snorkel Sentinel Black fountain pen c. 1952-1959. The fountain pen has a two-tone plated 14 karat gold Triumph nib, polished stainless steel cap with a repeating pattern of four straight longitudinal engraved lines in a stepped grouping, gold-filled cap band, gold-filled clip, and plastic barrel. Barrel colors produced from 1952 to 1955 were black, burgundy, pastel gray, pastel blue (or aqua), and pastel green. Peacock blue, buckskin tan, mandarin orange, fiesta red, fern green, and periwinkle blue were added later. The Sentinel fountain pen is 5 ½ inches long and sold for $20.00 in 1954 and $22.50 by 1955. The matching pencil sold for $7.50.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferSnorkelSentinelBlack_1280_01.jpg

Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Snorkel Sentinel Pastel Grey fountain pen c. 1952-1959. The fountain pen has a two-tone plated 14 karat gold Triumph nib, polished stainless steel cap with a repeating pattern of four straight longitudinal engraved lines in a stepped grouping, gold-filled cap band, gold-filled clip, and plastic barrel. Barrel colors produced from 1952 to 1955 were black, burgundy, pastel grey, pastel blue (or aqua), and pastel green. Peacock blue, buckskin tan, mandarin orange, fiesta red, fern green, and periwinkle blue were added later. The Sentinel fountain pen is 5 ½ inches long and sold for $20.00 in 1954 and $22.50 by 1955. The matching pencil sold for $7.50. Note the Sheaffer Canada nib, which is likely not original to this pen.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferSnorkelSentinelPastelGrey_1280_01a.jpg

Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

UPDATE: I compared the pen in this photo with a Vermillion Cadet and another Fiesta Red Sentinel. The pen in the photo below is Vermillion. Thanks!

This is a Sheaffer Snorkel Sentinel Vermillion fountain pen c. 1956-1959. The fountain pen has a two-tone plated 14 karat gold Triumph nib, polished stainless steel cap with a repeating pattern of four straight longitudinal engraved lines in a stepped grouping, gold-filled cap band, gold-filled clip, and plastic barrel. Barrel colors produced from 1952 to 1955 were black, burgundy, pastel gray, pastel blue (or aqua), and pastel green. Peacock blue, buckskin tan, mandarin orange, fiesta red, fern green, and periwinkle blue were added later. The Sentinel fountain pen is 5 ½ inches long and sold for $20.00 in 1954 and $22.50 by 1955. The matching pencil sold for $7.50.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferSnorkelSentinelFiestaRed_1280_01a.jpg

Thanks!

Edited by PenHero
Corrected color name

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Snorkel Sentinel Pastel Green fountain pen c. 1952-1959. The fountain pen has a two-tone plated 14 karat gold Triumph nib, polished stainless steel cap with a repeating pattern of four straight longitudinal engraved lines in a stepped grouping, gold-filled cap band, gold-filled clip, and plastic barrel. Barrel colors produced from 1952 to 1955 were black, burgundy, pastel grey, pastel blue (or aqua), and pastel green. Peacock blue, buckskin tan, mandarin orange, fiesta red, fern green, vermillion, and periwinkle blue were added later. The Sentinel fountain pen is 5 ½ inches long and sold for $20.00 in 1954 and $22.50 by 1955. The matching pencil sold for $7.50.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferSnorkelSentinelPastelGreen_1280_01.jpg

Thanks!

Edited by PenHero
Added vermillion

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Snorkel Crest Fern Green fountain pen c. 1956-1959. The fountain pen has a two-tone plated 14 karat gold Triumph nib, gold filled cap with a repeating pattern of four straight longitudinal engraved lines in a stepped grouping, gold-filled clip, and plastic barrel. Barrel colors produced from 1952 to 1955 were black, burgundy, pastel grey, pastel blue (or aqua), and pastel green. Buckskin tan and fern green were added later. The Crest fountain pen is 5 ½ inches long and sold for $25.00 in 1955 and $30.00 by 1959. The matching pencil sold for $9.00 in 1955 and $10.00 by 1959. Note the section color is the same as the barrel.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferSnorkelCrestFernGreen_1280_01a.jpg

Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Snorkel Sentinel Peacock Blue fountain pen c. 1956-1959. The fountain pen has a two-tone plated 14 karat gold Triumph nib, polished stainless steel cap with a repeating pattern of four straight longitudinal engraved lines in a stepped grouping, gold-filled cap band, gold-filled clip, and plastic barrel. Barrel colors produced from 1952 to 1955 were black, burgundy, pastel gray, pastel blue (or aqua), and pastel green. Peacock blue, buckskin tan, mandarin orange, fiesta red, fern green, vermillion, and periwinkle blue were added later. The Sentinel fountain pen is 5 ½ inches long and sold for $20.00 in 1954 and $22.50 by 1955. The matching pencil sold for $7.50.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferSnorkelSentinelPeacockBlue_1280_01a.jpg

Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Snorkel Valiant Fern Green fountain pen c. 1956-1959. The fountain pen has a two-tone plated 14 karat gold Triumph nib, gold-filled 3/8 inch cap band, gold-filled clip, and plastic cap and barrel. Barrel colors produced from 1952 to 1955 were black, burgundy, pastel gray, pastel blue (or aqua), and pastel green. Peacock blue, buckskin tan, mandarin orange, fiesta red, fern green, and periwinkle blue were added later. The Valiant fountain pen is 5 ½ inches long and sold for $19.75. The matching pencil sold for $7.25.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferSnorkelValiantFernGreen_1280_01.jpg

Thanks!

First year Snorkel Demonstrator, as shown by the gold coloured Snorkel. Though the cap has corrosion inside, presumably from the (brass?) cap insert, it doesn't *appear* to have been painted black inside at one time - all other Snorkel demos I have seen online so far have at least residual evidence of black paint inside the cap. This is my pen, recently acquired.

I would welcome discussion re: the cap paint or lack thereof.

Keto, the black paint on Demonstrator caps was actually applied to the outside of the cap. It rubs off somewhat easily, and yours appears to have been rubbed off completely.

Hi, Folks!

FYI - This is my favorite color.

This is a Sheaffer Snorkel Valiant Peacock Blue fountain pen c. 1956-1959. The fountain pen has a two-tone plated 14 karat gold Triumph nib, gold-filled 3/8 inch cap band, gold-filled clip, and plastic cap and barrel. Barrel colors produced from 1952 to 1955 were black, burgundy, pastel gray, pastel blue (or aqua), and pastel green. Peacock blue, buckskin tan, mandarin orange, fiesta red, fern green, and periwinkle blue were added later. The Valiant fountain pen is 5 ½ inches long and sold for $19.75. The matching pencil sold for $7.25.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferSnorkelValiantPeacockBlue_1280_01.jpg

Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Snorkel Valiant Pastel Blue fountain pen c. 1956-1959. The fountain pen has a two-tone plated 14 karat gold Triumph nib, gold-filled 3/8 inch cap band, gold-filled clip, and plastic cap and barrel. Barrel colors produced from 1952 to 1955 were black, burgundy, pastel gray, pastel blue (or aqua), and pastel green. Peacock blue, buckskin tan, mandarin orange, fiesta red, fern green, and periwinkle blue were added later. The Valiant fountain pen is 5 ½ inches long and sold for $19.75. The matching pencil sold for $7.25. Note the section matches the barrel color indicating a later production pen. The Sheaffer Australia nib is a replacement and not original to this particular example.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferSnorkelValiantPastelBlue_1280_01.jpg

Thanks!

Beautiful colors. I like pics of them.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.