Sheaffer Snorkel Photo Thread 1952-1959

PenHero

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman in Mandarin Orange c. 1957-1959. Mandarin Orange was one of the new Snorkel colors introduced in 1957 and pens of this color do not have matching color sections, but black, as shown. The Statesman has a Triumph palladium-silver alloy nib (may be hallmarked PdAg), plastic cap and barrel, gold-filled clip and 3/8" wide gold-filled cap band. Note that this pen has a barrel imprint. Colors produced were black, burgundy, pastel gray, pastel blue (or aqua), pastel green, peacock blue, buckskin tan, mandarin orange, fiesta red, and sage green. In 1956, the Snorkel Statesman sold for US $15.50 and with a matching pencil, US $22.75.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferSnorkelStatesmanMandarinOrange_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• 3rdlakerobert

• RICARDOBORBA

• mitto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Snorkel Valiant in Mandarin Orange c. 1957-1959. Mandarin Orange was one of the new Snorkel colors introduced in 1957 and pens of this color do not have matching color sections, but black, as shown. The Valiant has a Triumph two-tone palladium plated 14 karat gold nib, a plastic cap and barrel, a gold-filled clip and a 3/8" wide gold-filled cap band. Note that this pen has a barrel imprint. Colors produced were black, burgundy, pastel gray, pastel blue (or aqua), pastel green, peacock blue, buckskin tan, mandarin orange, fiesta red, and sage green. The 5 1/2 inch long Snorkel Valiant has a medium nib and sold for $19.75 and the matching pencil, $7.25.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferSnorkelValiantMandarinOrange_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Snorkel Valiant in Mandarin Orange c. 1957-1959. Mandarin Orange was one of the new Snorkel colors introduced in 1957 and pens of this color do not have matching color sections, but black, as shown. The Valiant has a Triumph two-tone palladium plated 14 karat gold nib, a plastic cap and barrel, a gold-filled clip and a 3/8" wide gold-filled cap band. Note that this pen has a barrel imprint. Colors produced were black, burgundy, pastel gray, pastel blue (or aqua), pastel green, peacock blue, buckskin tan, mandarin orange, fiesta red, and sage green. The 5 1/2 inch long Snorkel Valiant has a medium nib and sold for $19.75 and the matching pencil, $7.25.
Thanks!

Interesting. I've seen quite a few new color pens without barrel imprints but a cap imprint above the band instead. I have a Sage Admiral right now like that. Any idea when Snorkels were changed over from barrel to cap imprint?

Also seems to me I've noticed some PFMs with plastic cap imprints and some without.

Edited by Robert111

Daniel Kirchheimer and I just chatted about imprints or no imprints on Snorkels and between us we looked at available pens and about 26% have no discernable imprint. It could be a production anomaly such as the imprint machine was not working or was stamping very lightly. There are pens where the imprint is on the cap above the cap band on plastic cap pens. I have a Sage Green like that.

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Snorkel Clipper in Mandarin Orange c. 1957-1959. Mandarin Orange was one of the new Snorkel colors introduced in 1957 and pens of this color do not have matching color sections, but black, as shown. The Clipper has a Triumph palladium-silver alloy nib (may be hallmarked PdAg), a polished stainless steel cap and plastic barrel, a gold-filled clip and cap band. Colors produced were black, burgundy, pastel gray, pastel blue (or aqua), pastel green, peacock blue, buckskin tan, mandarin orange, fiesta red, and sage green. This 5 1/2 inch long Snorkel Clipper has a fine nib and sold for $18.50 and the matching pencil, $7.50.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferSnorkelClipperMandarin_1280_01a.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Snorkel Admiral in Sage Green c. 1957-1959. Sage Green was one of the new Snorkel colors introduced in 1957 and pens of this color have sections that match the cap and barrel color. The Admiral has an open plain 14 karat gold nib, an injection molded plastic cap and barrel, and a gold-filled clip and 3/8 inch cap band. This pen has the imprint above the cap band: SHEAFFER'S - MADE IN U.S.A. The section has some damage and the clip is showing significant plate loss. Colors produced were black, burgundy, pastel gray, pastel blue (or aqua), pastel green, buckskin tan, vermilion, and sage green. This 5 1/2 inch long Snorkel Admiral has a fine nib and sold for $10.00 and the matching pencil, $6.00.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferSnorkelAdmiralSageGreen_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Snorkel Sovereign in Buckskin Tan c. 1957-1959. Buckskin Tan was one of the new Snorkel colors introduced in 1957 and pens of this color usually have sections that match the cap and barrel color. The Sovereign has an open 14 karat gold nib with two-tone mask, possibly palladium (similar to earlier Feathertouch nibs), polished stainless steel cap with five engraved panels and plastic barrel and gold-filled clip stamped "SHEAFFER'S." The cap panels are a set of two straight lines with a dashed and diamond line between. Colors produced were black, burgundy, pastel gray, pastel blue (or aqua), pastel green, buckskin tan, vermilion, and sage green. In 1955, the Snorkel Sovereign sold for $12.50 and the matching pencil was $5.25.
http://penhero.com//Temp/SheafferSnorkelSaratogaBuckskinTan_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!
Edited by PenHero
NOTE: Wrong description previously posted, now corrected

This is a Sheaffer Snorkel Admiral in Sage Green c. 1957-1959.

As always great photos!!!

And this is my Admiral

post-138052-0-78149600-1515608090_thumb.jpg

Best Regards,

Oleg S.

My best regards
Oleg (Loki.OS)

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Snorkel Admiral in Buckskin Tan c. 1957-1959. Buckskin Tan was one of the new Snorkel colors introduced in 1957 and pens of this color usually have sections that match the cap and barrel color. The Admiral has an open plain 14 karat gold nib, an injection molded plastic cap and barrel, and a gold-filled clip and 3/8 inch cap band. This pen has the imprint above the cap band: SHEAFFER'S - MADE IN U.S.A. The clip is showing significant plate loss. Colors produced were black, burgundy, pastel gray, pastel blue (or aqua), pastel green, buckskin tan, vermilion, and sage green. This 5 1/2 inch long Snorkel Admiral has a fine nib and sold for $10.00 and the matching pencil, $6.00.
http://penhero.com/Temp/SheafferSnorkelAdmiralBuckskinTan_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman in Black c. 1952-1959. Black was one of the original colors introduced in 1952. The Statesman has a Triumph palladium-silver alloy nib (may be hallmarked PdAg), plastic cap and barrel, gold-filled clip and 3/8" wide gold-filled cap band. Note that this pen has the medium nib paper band around the section and a barrel imprint. Colors produced over the life of the model were black, burgundy, pastel gray, pastel blue (or aqua), pastel green, peacock blue, buckskin tan, mandarin orange, fiesta red, and sage green. In 1953 the Snorkel Statesman sold for $12.50 and the matching pencil was $6.00. Sheaffer offered sixteen different nib grades in 1953: fine, extra fine, flexible fine, flexible extra fine, medium, flexible medium, accountant, shorthand, coarse, flexible coarse, stub, flexible stub at no additional charge, and broad stub, left oblique stub, flexible left oblique stub, and music at an extra charge.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferSnorkelStatesmanBlack_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

Excellent thread, and I will start contributing in a week or so as I have some incoming including a demonstrator. Question, were the gold snorkel tubes a)1952 only and b)plated or solid? I have seen both referenced online, though I’ve seen a pic of a corroded one that leads me to believe plated, which also makes sense economically and probably for durability, gold being soft and relatively flexible.

Also colours - I see in this thread as added in 1957 Buckskin Tan, Sage Green, Mandarin Orange. What else was added and when?

Besides black, burgundy, pastel grey, pastel blue and pastel green, were there any other original issue colours?

Burgundy changed - 1957 again? Any shots of both versions together?

I have other questions but maybe more model related so I’ll leave it there for now ;)

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Snorkel Admiral in Burgundy c. 1952-1959. Burgundy was one of the original Snorkel colors introduced in 1952. A new Burgundy was used starting in 1957. The Admiral has an open plain 14 karat gold nib, an injection molded plastic cap and barrel, and a gold-filled clip and 3/8 inch cap band. This pen has the imprint on the barrel. Note the F2 nib code marking on the nib face with F indicating a firm fine and 2 meaning a 14 karat gold open type nib. Colors produced were black, burgundy, pastel gray, pastel blue (or aqua), pastel green, buckskin tan, vermilion, and sage green. This 5 1/2 inch long Snorkel Admiral sold for $10.00 and the matching pencil, $6.00.
http://penhero.com/Temp/SheafferSnorkelAdmiralBurgundy_1280_02.jpg
Thanks!

Excellent thread, and I will start contributing in a week or so as I have some incoming including a demonstrator. Question, were the gold snorkel tubes a)1952 only and b)plated or solid? I have seen both referenced online, though I’ve seen a pic of a corroded one that leads me to believe plated, which also makes sense economically and probably for durability, gold being soft and relatively flexible.

Also colours - I see in this thread as added in 1957 Buckskin Tan, Sage Green, Mandarin Orange. What else was added and when?

Besides black, burgundy, pastel grey, pastel blue and pastel green, were there any other original issue colours?

Burgundy changed - 1957 again? Any shots of both versions together?

I have other questions but maybe more model related so I’ll leave it there for now ;)

I'm working on an update to my Sheaffer Snorkel article and will try and answer all these questions there. Should be in a week or two.

Two Greys, a Clipper:

34727425431_735c18cdf0_k.jpg

and a Valiant:

35652423232_e280eb79e5_k.jpg

C.

My first Snorkel was a grey Valiant.... IIRC, it's an F nib.

Admittedly, it doesn't see as much action as the black Statesman (?) with the semi-flex Palladium Silver stub nib. The scary part? I paid more for the grey one. The black one was *marked* as being slightly more than double what I *actually* paid. I think the guy thought it wasn't as valuable because it wasn't a gold nib, the way the green Snorkel in the same case was -- but that one had a boring looking F or EF nib. The one I bought? Well, that one was pretty special. I thought the asking price was decent for what it was. But the guy at the counter came down to twenty bucks with out me even TRYING to haggle.... :huh:

Had 4 *different* people want to buy that pen off me last summer at the Triangle Pen Show -- including the guy who had done the restoration on it for me.... B) And I hadn't even realized that the nib had flex for at least a year after getting the pen....

But the grey Valiant? That's the pen that started me down that particular rabbit hole.... :rolleyes: Plus, showing it off to my mother-in-law a few weeks after I bought it (hadn't even gotten it repaired at that point), got her talking about the pen *her* father had owned, and how Sheaffer had replaced it when he lost part of the pen diving off the pier in Baltimore, to save some woman from drowning. I now have what I *think* is his original one -- a Sheaffer Balance Oversize. Had to get a replacement cap and then have it repaired, but right now that Oversize is in rotation.... :thumbup:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Snorkel Admiral in Pastel Green c. 1952-1959. Pastel Green was one of the original Snorkel colors introduced in 1952. The Admiral has an open plain 14 karat gold nib, an injection molded plastic cap and barrel, and a gold-filled clip and 3/8 inch cap band. This pen has the imprint on the barrel. Colors produced were black, burgundy, pastel gray, pastel blue (or aqua), pastel green, buckskin tan, vermilion, and sage green. This 5 1/2 inch long Snorkel Admiral has a firm fine nib and sold for $10.00 and the matching pencil, $6.00.

post-225-0-65239500-1516195263_thumb.jpeg

Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Snorkel Admiral in Pastel Gray c. 1952-1959. Pastel Grey or simply Grey was one of the original Snorkel colors introduced in 1952. The Admiral has an open plain 14 karat gold nib, an injection molded plastic cap and barrel, and a gold-filled clip and 3/8 inch cap band. This pen has the imprint on the barrel. Note this pen has a second version of the nib stamping. Colors produced were black, burgundy, pastel gray, pastel blue (or aqua), pastel green, buckskin tan, vermilion, and sage green. This 5 1/2 inch long Snorkel Admiral has a firm fine nib and sold for $10.00 and the matching pencil, $6.00.

post-225-0-05119800-1516273693_thumb.jpeg

Thanks!