The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Sheaffer Snorkel Photo Thread

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Roger W.

Roger W.

Irish Wolfhound

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,167 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:38

These pens are interesting not for their color but for their chrome trim. Sheaffer made very few of these. I don't know why but they're called "reverse" trimmed Snorkels (what's the reverse of what?).

The Admiral is mint.

fpn_1511225845__dsc_0805.jpg

Sam Marshall, who wrote the article on what the snorkel colors were, really didn't like the reverse trim models.  They weren't cataloged anywhere and, I think, he doubted their authenticity.  There are really too many of them to believe someone is turning them out fraudulently, though any brown pocket snorkels are fraud.  There are also all of the colors I've heard tell about (but have never seen) sterling, flighter, canary yellow and white - those are the leading candidates anyway.  I've a statesman set in reverse trim which is reverse of gold trim (which I know you know).  I suppose "reverse" is as good as "opposite" or "alternative" trim.  You did a great job on the photo as mine always turn out as silverish or goldish so you just can't tell they are reverse trim.

Roger W.

Sponsored Content

#22 PenHero

PenHero

Sheaffer Collector

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:19

Sam Marshall, who wrote the article on what the snorkel colors were, really didn't like the reverse trim models.  They weren't cataloged anywhere and, I think, he doubted their authenticity.  There are really too many of them to believe someone is turning them out fraudulently, though any brown pocket snorkels are fraud.  There are also all of the colors I've heard tell about (but have never seen) sterling, flighter, canary yellow and white - those are the leading candidates anyway.  I've a statesman set in reverse trim which is reverse of gold trim (which I know you know).  I suppose "reverse" is as good as "opposite" or "alternative" trim.  You did a great job on the photo as mine always turn out as silverish or goldish so you just can't tell they are reverse trim.

Roger W.

I don't doubt that there were other colors made by the Sheaffer model shop, and possibly even sterling or stainless steel (Sheaffer would not have used the Parker name Flighter for sure!), but none of those are catalogued or in the repair manuals, which leads me to believe that if they exist, they were short production for a particular customer (like the recent Levenger Connaisseur pens) or just prototypes.  There are enough examples of the chrome trim ones to make me think they may have been a short run or a market test.  I would not include any of them in a list of standard colors or types.

#23 CS388

CS388

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,153 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:30

The Saratoga is one of the four open nib Snorkel models, the others being the Sovereign, the Admiral, and the Special. BTW, each of these four is pictured in this thread.

The Saratoga and Sovereign have two-tone nibs, the Admiral a gold nib, and the Special a palladium silver nib.

Many thanks.

#24 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2017 - 14:43

All those colorful Snorkels and all I have to show are black ones.

Admiral Snorkel with open nib.

fpn_1511275083__sheaffer_admiral_snorkel

Statesman Snorkel set with PdAg nib. (Original box, I think.)

fpn_1511275396__sheaffer_statesman_snork

Valiant Snorkel set. (This one was a gift. I know this is the original box.)

fpn_1511275246__sheaffer_valiant_snorkel

And then to get a little color... a Valiant Touchdown in burgundy. (Note the color of the white dot.)

fpn_1511275307__sheaffer_valiant_touchdo

Edited by corgicoupe, 21 November 2017 - 14:49.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#25 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,138 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2017 - 15:12

Oops! I forgot one, but it's also black.

PFM Snorkel

fpn_1511277155__sheaffer_pfm_snorkel_069

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#26 Vintage_FPens

Vintage_FPens

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2017 - 17:25

I don't have a lot of Snorkels. But something from what is. very modestly )))

Snorkel Admiral

Snorkel_Admiral--002.jpg

Snorkel Special

Sheaffer_Snrkl-Special--006.jpg

Snorkel Statesman

SS_Statesman--003.jpg

Statesman, Triumph & Clipper

Sneaffer_Snorkels--001.jpg

And of course PFM III

Sheaffer_PFM_III--002-1.jpg

But that's not all

#27 Flounder

Flounder

Forum Moderate

• Member - Gold

• 2,884 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 17:38

Was there any special reason for the change in feed fins (fat fins, slim fins) in the triumph-nib Snorks? Just curious.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

#28 Robert111

Robert111

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 899 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2017 - 23:47

All those colorful Snorkels and all I have to show are black ones.

Black pens of course are the best writers.

#29 Robert111

Robert111

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 899 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2017 - 23:49

I don't have a lot of Snorkels. But something from what is. very modestly )))

Excellent photos!

#30 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,241 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 00:17

Black pens of course are the best writers.

:lol:

My best nib -- the semi-flex palladium silver factory stub Triumph nib -- is certainly on a black pen; the *worst* nib is an EF on the one I *think* is "Aqua Blue" -- it's an EF nib and it's really persnickety about what ink goes in that pen (modern Skrip Purple works well...).

@Roger W. --

What is a "brown pocket Snorkel"?  (Well, apparently other than a color that Sheaffer apparently didn't make, that is....)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#31 Vintage_FPens

Vintage_FPens

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 05:29

Excellent photos!

Thank You!

#32 PenHero

PenHero

Sheaffer Collector

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:21

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Snorkel Admiral in Pastel Blue c. 1952-1959. Pastel Blue was one of the original Snorkel colors introduced in 1952. The Admiral has an open 14 karat gold nib, plastic cap and barrel, gold-filled clip stamped "SHEAFFER'S", and 1/4" wide gold-filled cap band. Colors produced were black, burgundy, pastel gray, pastel blue (or aqua), pastel green, buckskin tan, vermilion (a tangerine), and sage green. The Snorkel Admiral pen sold for US $10.00 in 1955 and with a matching pencil, $16.00. This Admiral has a Shorthand nib. Note the marking on the section.

F90E5348-A76A-4B62-9154-245013C6FD25.jpeg

Thanks!

#33 Robert111

Robert111

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 899 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 13:41

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Snorkel Admiral in Pastel Blue c. 1952-1959. Pastel Blue was one of the original Snorkel colors introduced in 1952. The Admiral has an open 14 karat gold nib, plastic cap and barrel, gold-filled clip stamped "SHEAFFER'S", and 1/4" wide gold-filled cap band. Colors produced were black, burgundy, pastel gray, pastel blue (or aqua), pastel green, buckskin tan, vermilion (a tangerine), and sage green. The Snorkel Admiral pen sold for US $10.00 in 1955 and with a matching pencil, $16.00. This Admiral has a Shorthand nib. Note the marking on the section.

attachicon.gifF90E5348-A76A-4B62-9154-245013C6FD25.jpeg

Thanks!

Goodness! What a photo!

#34 Robert111

Robert111

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 899 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 15:25

Roger says (and who knows better?) that fern green is the least common Snorkel color, followed by periwinkle and peacock blue. Let's start with fern green then:

fpn_1511450365__dsc_0862.jpg

fpn_1511450452__dsc_0868.jpg

Notice the difference in the nibs? I won't divert this thread from its focus on photos but start another thread soon on differences in Snorkel features. 

Edited by Robert111, 23 November 2017 - 15:27.

#35 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,682 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 16:52

Hi, Folks!

attachicon.gifF90E5348-A76A-4B62-9154-245013C6FD25.jpeg

Thanks!

This entire thread is Wow! 

From the pastel color above - thanks Jim, my first pen, fountain pen, & snorkel, was definitely aqua. 

Passed to me by my mom 1958-9 when she moved on to a scratchy dove gray P-51 F.  At first entirely a toy that made bubbles in Peacock Blue's inkwell bottle. Then I learned its purpose. In comparison to the P-51 F, the aqua was probably a medium.

emoticon-animal-007.gif~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

#36 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

There is no "c" in Sheaffer

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,491 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 17:24

I can't wait to retire so I can (1) go to more shows to collect these, and (2) put together the photo setup to do shots like these.

Bravissimi to everybody!

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

#37 PenHero

PenHero

Sheaffer Collector

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2017 - 11:36

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Snorkel Saratoga in Burgundy c. 1952-1959. Burgundy was one of the original Snorkel colors introduced in 1952. The Saratoga has an open 14 karat gold nib with platinum mask (similar to earlier Feathertouch nibs), plastic cap and barrel, gold-filled clip stamped "SHEAFFER'S", and 1/4" wide gold-filled cap band. Colors produced were black, burgundy, pastel gray, pastel blue (or aqua), pastel green, buckskin tan, vermilion (a tangerine), and sage green. In 1955, the Snorkel Saratoga sold for $11.95 and with a matching pencil, $17.95.

552CA35F-4034-4FC4-B28D-E7F43A53D92A.jpeg

Thanks!

#38 Robert111

Robert111

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 899 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2017 - 02:35

After fern green, the next least common color is peacock blue. Peacock and pastel blue are very close, but I think peacock is a little lighter.

fpn_1511577102__dsc_0878.jpg

#39 PenHero

PenHero

Sheaffer Collector

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:25

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman in Pastel Gray c. 1952-1959. Pastel Gray was one of the original Snorkel colors introduced in 1952. The Statesman has a Triumph palladium-silver alloy nib (may be hallmarked PdAg), plastic cap and barrel, gold-filled clip and 3/8" wide gold-filled cap band. Colors produced were black, burgundy, pastel gray, pastel blue (or aqua), pastel green, peacock blue, buckskin tan, mandarin orange, fiesta red, and sage green. In 1955, the Snorkel Statesman sold for $15.50 and with a matching pencil, $22.75.

7006D8EB-5B8F-438C-A073-8CAD856F118B.jpeg

Thanks!

#40 PenHero

PenHero

Sheaffer Collector

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:28

This shot gives a color spectrum of the green Snorkels: Fern, Sage and Pastel, left to right.

EF4F4B01-8A79-46C4-B0CA-811D5DFBA554.jpeg

Thanks!

Sponsored Content

|