Nibmeister Recommendations (Location)

moif

Hello!

I have a Visconti Van Gogh in fine but Im a xxf kind of person. Ive decided I would like to get it ground down, but in the past when Ive done this I had spare nibs/nib units I was able to get ground instead of the one in the pen.

So Im nervous about sending off my expensive pen in the mail. Im hoping I can find someone in the DC area, or VA, or AT LEAST east coast.

I am considering waiting until the next DC pen show to just get it done in person as well, but thats a ways out and Id rather get it done sooner.

Any help is appreciated!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BT_Summers

• moif

• Honeybadgers

• CincyDawg

You can wait and do it during one of two major pen shows in the area, Baltimore Pen show or DC Pen show. I would recommend Mike Masuyama http://mikeitwork.com/

He's done 5 of my pens and they are all perfectly smooth.

Considering the wait times on the work request, it may be better just to wait for the upcoming Baltimore pen show.

Edited by SpecTP

I don't know of any in the DC area but most nib work is done via mail so I'm not sure if it matters. Pendleton Brown is based in Georgia and is the closest nibmeister to DC that I know of. Here's a link to a google doc with some popular nibmeisters (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NM3haeyGZgx_9LJosGm2z1TmKjYaFU1-5xE4EVTyTN4/edit?usp=sharing). The list is likely incomplete, so if you learn of more feel free to add.

If you want to meet with a nibmeister in person your best bet may be a pen show. You could also contact a local pen shop (not sure if DC has any) and ask them. I visited Houston a few weeks back and stopped by Dromgooles and they happened to have a local nibmeister in their shop that day. The nibmeister was just a local gentlemen who works on nibs for a hobby/part-time work–so no website but he did good work. A local shop may have a similar arrangement with someone in your area.

For a simple nib grind I wouldn't suggest Greg Minuskin - his work is spectacular but his prices are similar, he charges by the step down, so that would likely cost over $100 from him. Mark and Mike both should be able to do it in the $40-60 range.

Greg is the guy for SERIOUS nib work and repairs, but basic nib resizing, he's a bit too expensive.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I had a similar discussion with my plumber. He charges 30 euros an hour (or any part of an hour) and his charging starts from the moment he leaves his home until the moment he walks out of my door. He even charges me if he has failed to fix the problem, he says that he has still spent time on the job. Parts are on top of the labor.

I had my car detailed, the man says that his work is as skilled as a plumber and he accepts responsibility for his work, he includes materials, although still uses my hot water, electricity, metered cold water and anything else. He charges the same rate as my plumber. He doesnt charge travelling time, bless him.

My electrician charges 40 euros an hour, plus parts. He charges from the time he leaves home, he is also painfully slow when he is doing his work but doesnt take breaks. Ok he is thorough and what he does he does well. I asked him why he would charge more than a plumber, he says there is so much legislation and required training in electrics that someone has to pay for the time that he is not working.

My garage charges me 100 euros an hour for labor, and another 100 to plug my car into their diagnostic computer. They have even charged me for work that has not been done, and were miffed when I pointed this out, this miffedness didnt extend to an apology.

Nib repair people are not that expensive by comparison and make me smile when they have done their work, unlike the three examples above.

I had a similar discussion with my plumber. He charges 30 euros an hour (or any part of an hour) and his charging starts from the moment he leaves his home until the moment he walks out of my door. He even charges me if he has failed to fix the problem, he says that he has still spent time on the job. Parts are on top of the labor.

I had my car detailed, the man says that his work is as skilled as a plumber and he accepts responsibility for his work, he includes materials, although still uses my hot water, electricity, metered cold water and anything else. He charges the same rate as my plumber. He doesnt charge travelling time, bless him.

My electrician charges 40 euros an hour, plus parts. He charges from the time he leaves home, he is also painfully slow when he is doing his work but doesnt take breaks. Ok he is thorough and what he does he does well. I asked him why he would charge more than a plumber, he says there is so much legislation and required training in electrics that someone has to pay for the time that he is not working.

My garage charges me 100 euros an hour for labor, and another 100 to plug my car into their diagnostic computer. They have even charged me for work that has not been done, and were miffed when I pointed this out, this miffedness didnt extend to an apology.

Nib repair people are not that expensive by comparison and make me smile when they have done their work, unlike the three examples above.

While you made a point, I don't think it was "the" point... This was not a matter of "nibmasters" being cheap or expensive but how one "nibmaster" compares to another. And I see the point: in any profession there are people that are better or not so good (or, more to the point, that, because whatever reason, some are higherly regarded than others). It makes sense, for both parts, to tier thiis kind of labour intensive services upon requirements so, for a basic job you call "A", at a "basic" fee, and then, for a complex/difficult job, you call "B" at a "high" fee and, this way, both parts maximize their time/investment. If tweaking nibs were more than a profitting hobby, the higherly regarded ones could extract more money from our pockets (in a honest way) by expanding their offers with more hands and, thus, tiering their pricing (so a basic job would end up being done by an apprentice/young official, and the difficult ones by masters or "the boss" itself) but, alas, this doesn't seem such a profitting endevour as to allow for that.

As for your examples, it's a pitty (and a show of a disfunctional market) that a professional hired by the service tries (and manages) to bill by the work, but that's another story.

Edited by jmnav

Well yes you are absolutely right. I had strayed off topic somewhat and was comparing skilled tradespeople to nib repairers and considering value and cost.

Must admit that I have never had a nib back from a repairer and thought that I had paid too much.

Edited by smiffy20000

Your comparisons are not quite there.

The price we're looking at is held against the value of the product. A house and a car both are worth substantially more than a fountain pen. Sure, $40 may be a bargain for a $1000 visconti or MB. But for post pens, inexpensive nib work is approaching half or more of the value.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Also check with Bert at Bert's pen shop which is in the DC suburbs. I think he will be able to get you with a nib-meister who is located near you.

Your comparisons are not quite there.

The price we're looking at is held against the value of the product. A house and a car both are worth substantially more than a fountain pen. Sure, $40 may be a bargain for a $1000 visconti or MB. But for post pens, inexpensive nib work is approaching half or more of the value.

Not sure that I can agree with you, my comparison is with regards to prices charged by skilled trades people and not with regards to the product being worked upon.

If you want to introduce a product being worked upon comparison to demonstrate hourly rates of pay thats a whole different subject and not what I am talking about.

Check with Bert at Bertrams. He has a guy who is quite good, who does occasional weekend sessions for him in his store. Bert will be able to tell you when the next one is.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

• 3 years later...

Would anyone provide a referral to a reputable nibmeister in the Portland, OR area?  Or somewhere else, though preferably close.

There's some good information in the topic above. The west coast nibmeisters I'm familiar with are in Southern California: John Mottishaw, nibs.com, isn't taking any new work at this time, but he will work on a pen he sells; Mike Masayama, Mikeitwork, has a three month backlog; and Greg Minuskin. The San Francisco Pen Show is scheduled for the end of August; they will be there along with some others, I'm sure. If you tell me your specific problem, I can make some further suggestions.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.