The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Penbbs 308

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 inkeverywhere

inkeverywhere

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2017 - 19:06

Came across Penbbs 308 on Ebay yesterday, while it passes the "eye candy" test admirably it is a brand I know nothing about. There is very little information on this pen or brand, I see the brand mentioned in Ian's "Chinese pen show and tell" a little but not much else.

I like a fine nib pen which this 308 is being sold as, but wonder about the advantages of the slightly up turned nib.

Being relatively expensive for a Chinese pen, about $33 Australian, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this particular model. I have also found the pen on a site called Taobao, on this site there is a greater colour range than Ebay, any feedback on buying from Taobao would alone be greatly appreciated.

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Sponsored Content

#2 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2017 - 03:56

You can buy directly from PenBBS themselves on TaoBao , and the official TaoBao also support fright to Australia ( both direct or forwarding; consign & consolidated shipping ); if you use TaoBao, and type in the typical .com address, you will be redirected to the World.TaoBao domain where there is English version of the site and mean for oversea customers.

As for the Model 308 , well I can have only good thing to say about it, its a high quality, well thought out design; the material used are gorgeous and the craftsmanship is up there with anyone. And for the nib, well it write decent and perform like a miniature Fude ( if you know how to employ the technique ) or if you write cursive ( like a dip pen ) then it perform more like a miniature Architect which laid down a F on down stroke, and M on the cross stroke. If you write relatively angled in a more vertical manner, then its just a fine. Since having the pen I am feeling very satisfied by its performance. Just as any Chinese nibs goes, there is positive feedback which is a dictated character required for writing the language, but some who are into writing cursive Latin based language might or might not find this a factor; one way or the other. Its a smooth kind of writing still, just not like skating on ice. As TruthPil had already tested, the nib can be easily swap for any No.6 and since the barrel / section connection had no metal fitting while having O ring and fine thread, that leave ED conversion possible due to the single piece barrel ( and many had done it already ).

And before checking out the Model 308, you might want to check the Chinese pen and show thread again, I had shown the news about them going to release their next one, model 309, and already they have also model 323, and 267 .. 

#3 Trom

Trom

nothing to say

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:47

You can buy directly from PenBBS themselves on TaoBao , and the official TaoBao also support fright to Australia ( both direct or forwarding; consign & consolidated shipping ); if you use TaoBao, and type in the typical .com address, you will be redirected to the World.TaoBao domain where there is English version of the site and mean for oversea customers.

How do I get to the English site? I only see Chinese characters.

#4 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:23

Oh I get to take a look, so obviously they took off the translation / language menu bar selection button already in the recent edition of the web site. it used to be there , but its just using customized Google translation engine; so instead just use Chrome and had the browser do the translation for you ( under language setting ) ... 

:bawl: Sorry for causing all the trouble, my fault, should have check it first before  :notworthy1:

Edited by Mech-for-i, 18 November 2017 - 10:37.

#5 Trom

Trom

nothing to say

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:41

Oh I get to take a look, so obviously they took off the translation / language menu bar selection button already in the recent edition of the web site. it used to be there , but its just using customized Google translation engine; so instead just use Chrome and had the browser do the translation for you ( under language setting ) ... 

:bawl: Sorry for causing all the trouble, my fault, should have check it first before  :notworthy1:

You're absolved :)

#6 inkeverywhere

inkeverywhere

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2017 - 19:51

Thank you for your response Mech-for-i, I had seen your piece in Chinese pen show and tell on newer models, I find that topic to be arguably the best on the FPN. Although the new models do look interesting I find the 308 "looks" a far more desirable pen to me. I am of the humble opinion an Edison Collier in Persimmon Swirl is one of the most stunning looking pens I have ever seen, the 308 reminds me of that style.

I am also to assume you recommend Taobao as a reputable site to buy from. I also see Ian mentions purchases from Taobao in some of his posts.

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

#7 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2017 - 22:01

I would say take the same caution as you would using TaoBao as you would with say eBay, or Etsy, or many of the other major retail site ... the site is reputable but the sellers varies. of course there are many good seller there but equally there are people out there just trying to get a kill ; shop around and be informed. I can buy TaoBao easily cause I do read and write ( and speak ) the language, and of course for buying Chinese fountain pens that is certainly one of the more varied source.

#8 Xiachem

Xiachem

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2017 - 14:05

PENBBS is a brand founded by "Chinese fountain pen network"(It just like "FPN".But It is a website created by Chinese).It sells for 68 Chinese Yuan(About 10 US Dollar) in China.It is more cheep than Hero 100.I have a PENBBS 308.But I don't know how to post image here. :mellow: 

#9 fountainpagan

fountainpagan

Poetry soothes and emboldens the soul to accept mystery

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2017 - 14:22

Xianchem,

if you look at the upper part of the forum, you have a button UPLOAD.  You click there and upload your photo. When it is done, you copy the BBcode line, and past it here.

I hope I could help you.

A silent response: it shows you didn't lose anything

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

SUPORTER OF uh2SgO.jpg AND OHg34j.jpg

#10 Xiachem

Xiachem

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2017 - 14:34

Xianchem,

if you look at the upper part of the forum, you have a button UPLOAD.  You click there and upload your photo. When it is done, you copy the BBcode line, and past it here.

I hope I could help you.

Thank you.I'll try it. :D

#11 Xiachem

Xiachem

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2017 - 14:38

Here is my PENBBS 308.

fpn_1511706492__photo3.jpg

fpn_1511706470__photo2.jpg

fpn_1511706394__photo1.jpg

#12 TruthPil

TruthPil

More flex, please!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2017 - 04:45

Has anyone found this pen too write too dryly? With the stock nib, I've found that I can barely even get it to write unless I apply slight pressure. 

I've tried a couple inks and the problem was the same. As is, my stock nib is basically unusable on cheap paper because of insane skipping.

Has anyone with the 308 needed to open the tines a little to get some flow going?

I tried the 308 with a Jinhao #6 M nib and flow was much better. It's a beautiful and lovely pen to use, if I could just solve the dryness issue with the stock nib.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

#13 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2017 - 14:23

Mine write with no fuss, no issue with stock nib ( F ) so far , other than that I am still waiting for the Medium size to be re-released, do you write in a shallow angle .. I do know some report they have trouble getting ink flow properly when writing at a shallow angle.

#14 TruthPil

TruthPil

More flex, please!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2017 - 22:36

Mine write with no fuss, no issue with stock nib ( F ) so far , other than that I am still waiting for the Medium size to be re-released, do you write in a shallow angle .. I do know some report they have trouble getting ink flow properly when writing at a shallow angle.

I try to maintain about a 50 degree angle, but I tried many different angles to no avail.

I also noticed something annoying about using other nibs in this pen. There is an edge inside the top of the cap that will push to the side any nib that isn't the exact same shape as the stock nib. The pen has been writing wonderfully with a Jinhao #6 M nib, but every time I unscrew the cap I must push the nib back into proper alignment on the feed thanks to that edge in the cap.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

#15 ubuntolaio

ubuntolaio

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted Today, 16:11

Is it possible to swap the #6 penbbs 308 with a vintage 14k #6 nib?

I try to maintain about a 50 degree angle, but I tried many different angles to no avail.

I also noticed something annoying about using other nibs in this pen. There is an edge inside the top of the cap that will push to the side any nib that isn't the exact same shape as the stock nib. The pen has been writing wonderfully with a Jinhao #6 M nib, but every time I unscrew the cap I must push the nib back into proper alignment on the feed thanks to that edge in the cap.

Sponsored Content

|