Diamine Earl Grey

lgsoltek

Rather than a purple grey, I would describe this ink as a pinkish grey. Saturation, flow and lubrication are medium. I think it looks better in a broader nib.

Splash

fpn_1510911843__img_5878.jpg

Sample

(Basically no water resistance.)

fpn_1510911856__jpeg_image-7f3511cf12fa-

Compare

(It sort of looks like a watered-down version of Slate Grey.)

fpn_1510911851__jpeg_image-7f3511cf12fa-

Chroma

(In contact with water this ink shows its complexity: components of cyan and pink.)

fpn_1510911846__img_5895.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lgsoltek

• AidenMark

• Tas

• displacermoose

Last picture looks cool :) Gris de Payne looks best to my eyes.

Me too I prefer the colour of GdP, but that watery toothy feeling is just so disappointing. I can even feel how dry and not lubricating when doing the swab. I think its easy for anyone just to mix dyes, but making inks is much more than just putting dyes together.

Edited by Lgsoltek

Thanks for the review.

I really like this ink, so does my TWSBI 540.

This is an accurate (at least on my monitor) depiction of how Earl Grey really looks.

You've also planted the seed of mixing GDP with it . . . B)

Thanks for the review.

I really like this ink, so does my TWSBI 540.

This is an accurate (at least on my monitor) depiction of how Earl Grey really looks.

You've also planted the seed of mixing GDP with it . . . B)

I'm glad you find it accurate enough. I'm not too happy with the images myself. The day is gloomy and I don't have my scanner with me so I have to reply on my iPhone camera and my desk lighting, and some subjective editing of brightness, contrast, etc.

I'm glad you find it accurate enough. I'm not too happy with the images myself. The day is gloomy and I don't have my scanner with me so I have to reply on my iPhone camera and my desk lighting, and some subjective editing of brightness, contrast, etc.

I feel your pain. Same here. Trying to upload an image to week 43 and tweaking colours too.

I bought Earl Grey on the gamble it was more blue than purple. I got that wrong but it doesn't matter :)

Earl Grey is an interesting color, but I would be also interested to hear which ink did you write the second colour (the ink names) with? It looks some sort of golden brown maybe, and I have no idea what it is. Can you tell me please?

Earl Grey is an interesting color, but I would be also interested to hear which ink did you write the second colour (the ink names) with? It looks some sort of golden brown maybe, and I have no idea what it is. Can you tell me please?

KWZI Honey. Isn’t it gorgeous?

KWZI Honey. Isnt it gorgeous?

YES!

That one has been on my radar for a while (I have a decided weakness for shady non-red brown) and I think that just put me over the edge.

Yet another Sarah.

I think it's a great ink but as I've said before, I just can't decide which pen to use it in - yet!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

YES!

That one has been on my radar for a while (I have a decided weakness for shady non-red brown) and I think that just put me over the edge.

If you like such colours check out my "gold" inks comparison:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/301959-a-study-in-gold-comparison-of-several-gold-inks/

KWZI Honey. Isn’t it gorgeous?

Yes, but I've had a bad experience with KWZ inks. I tried a handful of their IG inks (in those little samle vials) and all of them have a very high drying time... I mean more than a minute. So I ended up smudging all of them with my left hand.

• 2 weeks later...

This is absolutely stunning! It looks to me, for lack of a better term "soft". So many of these types of colors are rather harsh.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• 2 months later...

How does this ink compare to Seitz Kreuznach Slate Grey on a written page?

I've been squinting at the swab test and can't see much difference except (as you say) dilution.

I have a bottle of SZSG that I like but ended up wishing was a tad more purple.

Would this fit the bill or should I just add drop of water to what I have?

Less is More - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

Less is a Bore - Robert Venturi

How does this ink compare to Seitz Kreuznach Slate Grey on a written page?

I've been squinting at the swab test and can't see much difference except (as you say) dilution.

I have a bottle of SZSG that I like but ended up wishing was a tad more purple.

Would this fit the bill or should I just add drop of water to what I have?

The purple in Earl Grey is not any more noticeable than Slate Grey. Maybe check out Chu-shu from Sailor?

The purple in Earl Grey is not any more noticeable than Slate Grey. Maybe check out Chu-shu from Sailor?

Thank you. Chu-shu it is indeed very close to what I was imagining.

Sadly I just can't find anyone in Germany stocking it.

In the meantime, I'll try a homebrew of SZ-SG with a drop of Diamine Damson.

Less is More - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

Less is a Bore - Robert Venturi

Thank you. Chu-shu it is indeed very close to what I was imagining.

Sadly I just can't find anyone in Germany stocking it.

In the meantime, I'll try a homebrew of SZ-SG with a drop of Diamine Damson.

La Couronne du Comte from the Netherlands seems to have it, if it's not too far.