The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Waterman 52 1/2 V Discoloration Renewal

bchr discoloration waterman 52 1/2v

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 shadesdragon

shadesdragon

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:16

I have come into possession of a Waterman 52 1/2 V but it is discolored into a light brown. I was wondering if it is possible to renew the color of the pen? I was thinking of using something like an automotive rubber restorer/cleaner like forever black bumper and trim cleaner and reconditioner with black pigment.... and I was wondering if anyone has tried it? Might be wishful thinking on my part that it would be that easy.

Sponsored Content

#2 Force

Force

Fergus 1998-2015

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,580 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:44

http://vintagepens.c...lackening.shtml

#3 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2017 - 15:36

This thread moves to the topic of blackening and has my summary of the Pensbury manor product, and the Mark Hoover product.

http://www.fountainp...wan-sf2-barrel/

#4 Xof72000

Xof72000

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 972 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2017 - 16:00

You can also buy the miracle deoxidiser from Mark Hoover (http://www.lbepen.com/pen-polishes)

It really give stunning results, ... and works on woodgrain hard rubber too !

#5 shadesdragon

shadesdragon

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2017 - 03:55

Awesome! Thank you all!

#6 siamackz

siamackz

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2017 - 01:06

Ive tried:
1. Micromesh 12000 grit polishing on pens without chasing. Works well, but lot of work
2. Pensbury manor dye for reblackening. Worked on one pen, didnt look good on the other. It requires some skill which I clearly do not possess.
3. Mark Hoover deoxidizer. Works very well, but its messy.

My two cents - if its a chased rubber pen then use Mark Hoovers product, but if its a smooth barrel just use micromesh and polish.

#7 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• 976 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:30

Ive tried:
1. Micromesh 12000 grit polishing on pens without chasing. Works well, but lot of work
2. Pensbury manor dye for reblackening. Worked on one pen, didnt look good on the other. It requires some skill which I clearly do not possess.
3. Mark Hoover deoxidizer. Works very well, but its messy.

My two cents - if its a chased rubber pen then use Mark Hoovers product, but if its a smooth barrel just use micromesh and polish.

Overall, agree completely. But sometimes the Pensbury manor product is nice for a blind cap or section. There is a role for all the methods.

#8 siamackz

siamackz

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:34

Overall, agree completely. But sometimes the Pensbury manor product is nice for a blind cap or section. There is a role for all the methods.

I agree

#9 pen tom

pen tom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 20:38

I have only tried the Pensbury product on a very rough Waterman BCHR. It seemed to blacken real well, but has some thickness of its own which for me made the lettering look not as sharp and a bit rounded by the thickness of the product. I didn't like this. If a product could work while being much thinner....

But on 'better' faded pens, I've decided that the natural fading has a charm of its own.

Sponsored Content

|