The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Equi-Poised Type 3 (Lapis Blue)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Estragon

Estragon

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:36

I just finished restoring this lovely Wahl-Eversharp in my favorite color/nib combination: Lapis Blue & Flexible Gold Seal. I was wondering if anyone could offer more info about it. Based on Syd's website, it appears to be an uncatalogued Equi-poised Type 3 (from 1930-1 perhaps?). But further research has led me to believe that this is a somewhat divisive designation (e.g. David Nishimura thinks it more likely part of the Signature series). In photos I always assumed pens like this one were smaller. But this one measures a lengthy 5 3/8" capped. Anybody happen to know if this model was made in various sizes? If so, was there an oversized pen? Do we know what colors were offered and what the scarcer colors are? And where would the Type 3 fall on the spectrum of scarcity from Type 1-4?

PHy2hq0.jpg

i1SeT00.jpg

A more accurate representation of the color:

L8sXWJg.jpg

Edited by Estragon, 17 November 2017 - 02:47.

aka popcod (FPGeeks)

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Trim! —> Conklin Nozac Penline (grey checked) | Sheaffer: Jr. Truncated (blue & black); OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein) | Balance 3-25 (grey/red fleck); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow + green); First-Yr Crest (silver cap) | Waterman: Thorobred (brown/red stripe); Lady Patricia (black, nacre, persian) | Pelikan 100/N (grey, wartime trim) | Wahl-Eversharp: "half" Coronet (rhodium cap); early BCHR (nickel roller clip) | Rebadged Parkers: Diamond Medal, Webster, etc. (silver web, grey marble, etc.)

Sponsored Content

#2 PenThing

PenThing

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2017 - 04:29

That is a very beautiful pen. Nice work of restoration!

Sometimes we forget that the vintage of now is the new of the yore days...

2003.jpg

minoxit1.png

#3 Estragon

Estragon

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 19:24

Thanks! But for a bit of brassing it's in pretty good shape. To give a better idea of the size of this pen, here's comparison shot with an early Lapis Duofold Sr., which shares the same Blue-on-Blue celluloid:

mwWdRiZ.jpg

Edited by Estragon, 17 November 2017 - 19:24.

aka popcod (FPGeeks)

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Trim! —> Conklin Nozac Penline (grey checked) | Sheaffer: Jr. Truncated (blue & black); OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein) | Balance 3-25 (grey/red fleck); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow + green); First-Yr Crest (silver cap) | Waterman: Thorobred (brown/red stripe); Lady Patricia (black, nacre, persian) | Pelikan 100/N (grey, wartime trim) | Wahl-Eversharp: "half" Coronet (rhodium cap); early BCHR (nickel roller clip) | Rebadged Parkers: Diamond Medal, Webster, etc. (silver web, grey marble, etc.)

Sponsored Content

|