Please Help Me Identify A Vintage Pen!

Tom_Moritz

Who made the 'Running Buffalo' nib? I keep forgetting....

Two of the silver overlay pens have Palliag 1st Qual nibs...Palladium???

You just named it in another thread: made by G. Rau Pforzheim. Thank you for that! I always thought those were US imports. Where did you find this precious piece of information, if I may ask?

Palliag was a name used for a palladium silver alloy used for pen nibs during the time when the use of gold was restricted or it was difficult to get. Sheaffer also made Palliag nibs.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom_Moritz

• Bo Bo Olson

• OMASsimo

• ehemem

Hi again,

I think that $40 was a very good price for such a piece. I also think that "Nichroma" designates the material rather than the company, it's most likely a stainless chrome nickel steel (like V2A or others). I have a silver overlay pen from the 30s with a "warranted 1st quality 14k 585" gold nib with the same buffalo imprint. Those nibs were pretty small, like a #1 nib, but are lovely writers.

Shoot, thanks for the information my friend. I have a buffalo on my nib, which means i may now know in some sense what size a nib I need.

Would you know what this pen might be worth if I were to sell it? I quite like it, but I feel someone out there may appreciate it and the pencil more than I would in my humble collection.

"If brute force has failed to yield the desired result, it simply means you've failed to yield enough force."

Thomas/Kaweco on the com is a fountain pen scholar of the many Heidelberg and area pen manufactures. Having found nothing, I asked him. When we sell at the flea market he often comes by and I learn by the hour from him.

It took him a while to twist Heidelberg's arm enough to put his collection in as a museum. Unfortunately they refused to let him put an industrial gitter second floor in so it's well less than 50% of what he has.

I had back when I was in randsombucket put in his museum on the com, to little to no appreciation at all. :doh: .

He's even got a nib making machine at home. Seen pictures of it being taken off in a fork lift and he on it, and smaller than the machine. No real space for it in his museum. (A very old fire station, just across from a ruined 13-14th century castle.)

Heidelberg was once the Pen Capital of the World.....8-10 well known German makers and three nib making factories. Degussa, Rupp and Bock.

Pen making machine....one of his display cases.....and his back room, with some great pens, he didn't have space to display. Had some pen making machinery back there too, from the day.

DnwjmDp.jpg

QTYtWWy.jpg

Dofh3hd.jpg

xk9tMSJ.jpg

JZhWtLT.jpg

1kzVYPH.jpg

vu13am3.jpg

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Wow, this is an amazing story and an amazing collection! Is this a public museum by now? If I should have a chance to visit Heidelberg, this certainly would be on my list.

It's public, with him running it, open a couple of Sundays the month.

There is also a big picture of Rupp on the wall, dressed just as dirty as his workers (20's-30's), so he was a hands on manufacturer of nibs. Rupp has a lion on it. I've only one, my most flexi of my maxi-semi-flex nibs..............the one that had me running around for three days muttering that certainly is a maxi-semi-flex(also limited to 3 X tine spread & not even first stage of superflex what I call Easy Full Flex.) :eureka: :eureka: :eureka: Finally I more the noobie then and more OCD than now, went through my @ 20 semi-flex pens and found 5 were maxi. (since then I now have 16 of various makes, more in Osmia in they were the only company to distinguish them with their Supra nib....the one with the diamond is semi-flex.

Being rather OCD....had started with a system, thankfully quickly abandoned. F-1 (2), F-1 1/4th (2) and that Rupp at F-1 1/2. (I have never lucked into another Rupp nib, in Idiots with More Money than Me won the three or four pens....... :angry: :gaah:)

Someone was nice enough to tell me where I could get some Rupp nibs, but am too busy throwing money away to do so.

When you throw money away buying pens, you just don't have any money to buy pens. :wacko: ... :rolleyes:

You come to Heidelberg, let me know, and I can tell you where it is. Perhaps I can dust off a pewter topped beer mug while I do.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/225950-hermann-bohler-sterling-silver-fountain-pen/

Is a barley corn silver overlay exactly like one of my three, but my pen's ink window is different and I have a Luxor/Herlitz nib, semi-flex. Herlitz was a big maker, more second tier I believe....and Luxor was their top of the line, a first class pen.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.