Pilot Custom 74: Japanese Nib + Us Body?

eharriett

I have a question: I am interested in a Pilot Custom 74 with a music nib. I'm pretty happy with what I'm seeing in reviews for the music nib on it and I think that may be the music nib I want (been comparing with Platinum's and Sailor's). But only problem is it looks like the only way to get one is to import from Japan. That doesn't bother me, but what does is the only option I see if for a boring old black pen. In the US, they come with all sorts of cool colors. Not sure if there's any way I can do it without buying two pens, but before I try anything, I wanted to ask the guru's here: can I get a US Custom 74 and take its really cool looking body and add a section with a Music Nib made for the Japanese model of the same name? Will it work?

Thanks

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eharriett

• Olya

• Bounce792

• prashant.tikekar

Top Posters In This Topic

It should be doable imo. The 74 & 91 use the same nib & feed, so you can switch between them. Once I pulled out the nib & feed out of my 91 and it was easy - and is generally said to be easy, so I'd assume you won't have any trouble at all switching nibs between various 74s.

Though Pilot's feed isn't designed well for a music nib, Platinum did a better job. Both have two slits/ three tines, but Pilot uses its bog-standard feed with only one channel, whereas Platinum makes an extra feed for their music nibs with two channels, each following one of the slits.

Sailor's nib looks like a normal stub, but their feed is well designed overall, if I'm not mistaken all feeds for all nibs have three channels! No ink starvation there...

You say you have decided, but I thought I'd throw this in for consideration regardless..

Have fun with your new pen! :)

Thanks. I can't seem to get exactly what I want no matter what. I wanted either a Platinum or a Pilot with a 3 tined music nib (I'd considered Sailor, but I can't seem to get as interested in a standard looking nib).

For Platinum, I really want one of their ribbed (Gathered) pens, but I can't get that with a Music, although I could buy the part and fit it. Or a Custom 74 but the only body style that comes with it kind of bores me. No matter what I am going to have to make the pen myself :(

I just realized there's a follow up question I need to ask:

If I am able to make this change, I just realized that the section color matches the pen and it wouldn't if I swap them out. Am I able to safely separate the feed and nib from the section and put them into the correct matching color?

Thanks.

I just realized there's a follow up question I need to ask:

If I am able to make this change, I just realized that the section color matches the pen and it wouldn't if I swap them out. Am I able to safely separate the feed and nib from the section and put them into the correct matching color?

Thanks.

Nib and feeds of custom 74 can be easily removed and swapped. It's simple yet effective fit. They re- fit very securely.

As it says above!

My first impression was that you wanted to pull out the nib & feed. Their CH 91 uses the same as the 74, if you like that body better or it is cheaper, you could even get a 91 and swap nib and section with the 74 (this might be moot to you, as I don't even know whether the music is offered in the 91..).

I only once pulled out the nib & feed out of my 91 (to see whether I got one of those nice ones, where Pilot sneakily cut a hole in the nib to save gold :glare: ), and it was super easy - should be the very same for the 74.

At the same time, people keep saying how easy it is to pull the 3776 Century nibs out and I never managed that, they won't budge (I wanted to switch nib sizes in bodies, like you want to with the 74). I left it at that and decided to keep them as they are.

Edited by Olya

Have you asked one of the Japanese sellers? You haven't stated your color preference so it is difficult to say what's possible from Japan. If you're looking for the colors from the US retailers, some of those can be had from Japan.

Back in the old days of 2012, I asked Engeika for a Pilot CH 91 in Tsukiyo with EF (not standard) and he said it could be done with a slight delay. Pisuke2005 always says to contact him if there's something you're looking for which isn't on his eBay store. So, before committing to buying two pens - contact the sellers. The worst they can say is "No" and nothing is lost by that save time.

round-letter-exc.png