The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

It's A Bit Late, But... Levers Made Of Bhr?

bhr lever

7 replies to this topic

#1 MercianScribe

MercianScribe

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:11

It's a bit late because I've just splashed on the pen already (!), but it has a BHR lever. I'm assuming, if only because it's already lasted 80-plus years, that there's no disadvantage or particular weakness to BHR for levers as opposed to metal...

Does anyone have any experience or information about BHR levers in manufacturing, design, or just usage?

Edited by MercianScribe, 16 November 2017 - 03:12.

Hi, I'm Mat

This week's EDC: Pilot Penmanship (demo, B italic, Iroshizuku Old Man Winter/Pilot Blue mix), Preppy (red, 0.3), Preppy (green, 0.3), 

This week's home rotation: Watermans 12 PSF (XF-3B wet noodle, Diamine Red Dragon), Watermans 3J (B-4B broad flex stub, Pilot Blue)

Sponsored Content

#2 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:10

All I know is that the black hard rubber levers were common on Mabie Todd pens earlier in the Swan Minor SM imprinted era, and they also appear on Big Blackbirds with RHR levers on BHR pens.  I am not the best historian of the group.  Attached is an internet pic of a Big Blackbird, and then some earlier and later Snakeskin patterned pens.

fpn_1510805426__bb_rhr_lever.jpg  fpn_1493574789__snake_lizard_04.jpg

#3 PaulS

PaulS

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 914 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2017 - 08:57

the obvious advantage that comes to mind  -  assuming you don't mind living without a g.p. lever - is that they'll never brass.    They look really good on those snakeskins, and polished up they're good on BHR too.

#4 Cob

Cob

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,476 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:01

Yes not much to add.  As far as I know they first appeared on the Swan Minor models - later of course abbreviated to SM as Greenie has pointed out.  They were also used on the Blackbird No 3 pens.

Remember never to put your pen barrel into water - e.g. in the ultra-sonic cleaner (I have made this mistake) as your lever will become brown hard rubber!

I have had pens with broken BHR levers.  This is probably caused by persons with no mechanical sympathy attacking a pen whose sac has gone hard.  But then I have had pens with badly bent and broken metal ones too, no doubt for the same reason.

All the best

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

#5 MercianScribe

MercianScribe

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:26

Mines an SM 205/59 in Italian Marble, fully restored and minty looking, so your nonetheless welcome maintenance/restoration tips shouldnt be necessary. Pretty much a twin of that 205/63 you put up the other day.

Which brings me to: http://www.fountainp...inor-numbering/

Edited by MercianScribe, 17 November 2017 - 05:07.

Hi, I'm Mat

This week's EDC: Pilot Penmanship (demo, B italic, Iroshizuku Old Man Winter/Pilot Blue mix), Preppy (red, 0.3), Preppy (green, 0.3), 

This week's home rotation: Watermans 12 PSF (XF-3B wet noodle, Diamine Red Dragon), Watermans 3J (B-4B broad flex stub, Pilot Blue)

#6 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• 976 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2017 - 14:57

For the sake of keeping threads coherent, please start a new thread about numbering....  I am as guilty as everyone about meandering from topic to topic, but I will to try to prevent this when I can.

#7 MarcShiman

MarcShiman

Inspiring Discovery

• 882 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 03:21

The marketing angle was that they were "invisible" levers, not meant to stand out from really beautiful plastics.

HEISERMAN PEN SWAP

Dec 9, 2017 - 10-3pm

Brookville Academy, Brookeville, MD

Free admission, no dealer tables. Bring your pens and trade

#8 MercianScribe

MercianScribe

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:19

For the sake of keeping threads coherent, please start a new thread about numbering....  I am as guilty as everyone about meandering from topic to topic, but I will to try to prevent this when I can.

Fair point, sorry. Done.

The marketing angle was that they were "invisible" levers, not meant to stand out from really beautiful plastics.

Ah, that makes sense, rather handsome though they are themselves.

Hi, I'm Mat

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|