The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Pelikan Mix Issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Idipbananasintocoffee

Idipbananasintocoffee

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 22:42

So I ventured into ink mixing, I mixed Pelikan Brilliant Red with Brilliant Black in 5:1 ratio, and now I have some weird particles on the surface, and since I'm paranoid, I worry it's mould... Anyone knows what it could be? For some reason, the Red has had a weird (bad) smell ever since I bought it, but I've had no issues whatsoever with it in months it's been with me.

Sponsored Content

#2 DasKaltblut

DasKaltblut

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2017 - 23:29

How long did the mix sit until it developed particles? Mold doesn't just appear instantly. You could be witnessing a chemical reaction.

#3 Idipbananasintocoffee

Idipbananasintocoffee

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 18:31

I let it sit for a day, and noticed when I got home from work, so about 24 hours. I also don't think it's mold, since there's none of it in any of the two inks I used for the mix. Is it possible that the colours just didn't mix thoroughly? I put some ink in a cheap Jinhao a few hours after mixing and I saw some sort of sedimentation yesterday (again within 24h). I disposed of the ink from the pen, but the mixture is still with me, since I want to see what happens next. At the moment, some particles are still there. I shook the bottle and am waiting to see if that helps mixing the colours...

#4 DasKaltblut

DasKaltblut

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:00

I hate to say it, and maybe someone with more in mixing experience can chime in, but that sounds like a chemical reaction to me. That particular mixture just might not be a good idea.

#5 ErrantSmudge

ErrantSmudge

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2017 - 20:35

Go check out the “ink mixes that didn’t work” thread. I just read in there (near end of thread) about someone having the same problem mixing Pelikan Blue with Pelikan Black. Pelikan Black is the common culprit; maybe it doesn’t mix nicely with other Pelikan inks.

#6 LanceSaintPaul

LanceSaintPaul

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2017 - 20:55

I had success mixing 4001 Dark Green with 4001 Brilliant Black in 2.5 - 3:1 Green: Black ratios in the last 3 months or so...haven't used it for a few weeks so I just looked at the remainder I have saved in a nalgene bottle & it looks just fine. That's my limited data point.

Sponsored Content

|