Do You Service Your Pens At Mb?

Memorexx

Hi everyone,

short question...do you send your pen to service them at Montblanc?

Read somewhere that they recommend servicing their pens once a year...

Just wondering how you guys maintain your pen

Cheers

Stan

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zaddick

• Memorexx

• dubhe

• Chrissy

Top Posters In This Topic

I see you're in Germany, so your experience may vary, here in the US I would avoid montblanc service at all costs.

I personally only send a pen to MB for service when there are no other options or for a nib exchange. MB is more of a replacement shop than a repair service so you tend to lose vintage parts. For some, this is an improvement, but for me I often prefer to keep the older feeds and other parts.

One time it is great to use MB service is if your pen is catastrophically damaged. If you have a good nib and clip, MB will replace the rest of most standard resin pens for the cost of a level 1 service. This ends up being cheaper than reapir anywhere else because spare parts are hard to source or expensive. You can basically send over a shattered pen and recieve a new one for about $100. (Assuming it is a current model pen like a 146 or 149.)

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I only send my pens for service if they need servicing. i.e. if the piston is really stiff or it breaks, so it needs that service, or if I want a nib exchange on a new pen.

I don't believe anyone else can do as good a job as Montblanc do for the price that Montblanc charges me for a flat rate level 1 service.

I'm one of those members who would rather have a pen that comes back looking like it is brand new, than a pen that has a mixture of new and old parts :)

Hi everyone,

short question...do you send your pen to service them at Montblanc?

Read somewhere that they recommend servicing their pens once a year...

Just wondering how you guys maintain your pen

Cheers

Stan

Not sure where you read that, but MB pens can go for decades without a service.

I tend to 'service' my own pens, but I will send them in to MB if they need replacement parts.

Of course, on the internet you will find people telling you horror stories about service and others singing their praises. It's all out there and we have to choose which way to go. The reliable truth is 'usually' somewhere inbetween.

On the whole, I find the pens to be robust and reliable and very low maintenance.

Just my experience.

Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah found it again. Its on the mb YouTube channel. So they say it themselves that they recommend servicing their pens once a year. Havent done that yet so far. My pens are 3 years old. I was just wondering what you guys are doing.

They also state that they will make the pen look new. For instances if its scratched on the surface. Not sure how they are doing that. Probably exchange it I guess ...

Ah found it again. Its on the mb YouTube channel. So they say it themselves that they recommend servicing their pens once a year. Havent done that yet so far. My pens are 3 years old. I was just wondering what you guys are doing.

They also state that they will make the pen look new. For instances if its scratched on the surface. Not sure how they are doing that. Probably exchange it I guess ...

They use brand new parts so the likelihood is that it will get at least a replacement barrel and feeder case. Then they will polish the cap to complete the new look. :wub:

I would not believe their you tube channel. I have gotten a few owns back where they did not replace a non-broken part, even though it looked a lot more worn than the rest of the pen.

For example, I put in an early 1980s 146 for service. The pen was well loved. The replaced the barrel section, piston and feed, but not the cap or clip. The problem was the threading on the older cap did not match the threading on the barrel well so it did not cap unless you almost stripped the threads and forced it on. Of course I sent it right back for a new cap.

I kow I have seen older posts saying a level 1 service replaced all resin parts. Even if they were not broken. I believe that was the practice before, but in 2017 it has not been my experience. It could just me my luck, but a replace everything policy may not be standard any more.

Im in UK so use the Hamburg service centre to restore pens I have purchased in a very used condition. They always come back like new.

As for servicing my new pens, I havent had to yet as they just keep on working fine.

Broken or damaged pens go to the Canadian or the German Service centre. All these pens usually need is lots of use and fresh ink.

Edited by meiers

I bought a MB 149 that was in pretty bad shape and decided to send it to Brad Torelli in Connecticut. I don’t remember what he charged me but it was more than reasonable and the pen came back basically restored to perfect condition and really feels amazing. I think he made the pen better than originally intended!!

I bought a MB 149 that was in pretty bad shape and decided to send it to Brad Torelli in Connecticut. I dont remember what he charged me but it was more than reasonable and the pen came back basically restored to perfect condition and really feels amazing. I think he made the pen better than originally intended!!

+100 for Brad. I use him for all my older MB repairs.

Thanks for your 2 cents.

I live in Hamburg near their hq.

Ok. So I will only send my pen to service if it is really really necessary.

If you look after your pen, eg use it, flush every few months, and dont drop it; you shouldnt need to service it more than once a decade.

Hear! Hear!

Have been using one Diplomat since 1973 without incident.

Just rinse with cool water.

Fred

Edited by Freddy