The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Townsend Nib Issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Shannon

Shannon

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 16:39

I just rec'd a beautiful Lapis Lazuli Townsend.  The nib unit comes apart if you look at it wrong.  And it doesn't seem to seat fully when it's installed.  I'm not sure if it's completely broken or if it just needs a little TLC.  Would love some advice.

Thanks.

fpn_1510677415__20171114_092017_resized.

fpn_1510677539__20171114_092044_resized.

Ink samples to trade:  Levenger (Smokey, Blue Bahama, Always Greener, Skies of Blue, Fireball, Pinkly, Gemstone Green, Cobalt Blue, Raven Black, Cardinal Red, Cocoa, Amethyst); J. Herbin (Lie de The, Emerald de Chivor, Storm Grey, Rouge Hematite); Diamine (Purple Pazzazz, Bilberry, Ancient Copper, Blue Black, Indigo, and Damson); Sailor (Tokiwa-matsu, Souten); and Chesterfield (Antique Yankee, Night Sapphire, Antique Raven, Antique Walnut, Archival Black, Antique Jade)

Looking for: surprise me!

Sponsored Content

#2 max dog

max dog

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2017 - 20:53

That's not normal as Townsend nib units are pretty solid and reliable.  It shouldn't be loose or come apart like that.

I would send it to Cross repair to have it fixed/replaced ($10 handling fee) under it's lifetime warranty.  Lapis Lazuli is quite a sought after and collectible Cross, it would be a shame not to have it corrected to perfection.  

Edited by max dog, 14 November 2017 - 20:55.

#3 Donald2

Donald2

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2017 - 20:58

Not good. Made in China?

#4 max dog

max dog

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,915 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2017 - 21:45

Not good. Made in China?

Lapiz Lazuli Townsends were all made in the USA.  So this is a "made in USA" QC issue, nothing to do with China.

Not that China does not have their share of QC issues, but just to be accurate here, and not bash the current Cross production which are relatively well made and on par to what comes out of Europe today.  

Edited by max dog, 14 November 2017 - 21:48.

#5 Shannon

Shannon

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 17:20

I have to say -- I'm so impressed that Cross still offers a lifetime warranty on their pens.  Compare that to Montblanc -- pens that are exponentially more expensive and their warranty is only two years!

Ink samples to trade:  Levenger (Smokey, Blue Bahama, Always Greener, Skies of Blue, Fireball, Pinkly, Gemstone Green, Cobalt Blue, Raven Black, Cardinal Red, Cocoa, Amethyst); J. Herbin (Lie de The, Emerald de Chivor, Storm Grey, Rouge Hematite); Diamine (Purple Pazzazz, Bilberry, Ancient Copper, Blue Black, Indigo, and Damson); Sailor (Tokiwa-matsu, Souten); and Chesterfield (Antique Yankee, Night Sapphire, Antique Raven, Antique Walnut, Archival Black, Antique Jade)

#6 Shannon

Shannon

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 19:37

Cross rec'd my pen on 11/20.  They're three to four weeks out on repairs, so I've still got a bit of a wait.  I got concerned after reading that Cross will replace a pen if the original isn't repairable.  I call Cross today and asked about this.  Great customer service!  I spoke to a very helpful person who grabbed my service order and made a note that the pen has sentimental value and it's not to be destroyed.  She also told me that if they can't repair the pen, that they'll send me a comparable replacement AND return my Lapis Lazuli.

To be continued....

#7 max dog

max dog

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,915 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 19:20

Cross rec'd my pen on 11/20.  They're three to four weeks out on repairs, so I've still got a bit of a wait.  I got concerned after reading that Cross will replace a pen if the original isn't repairable.  I call Cross today and asked about this.  Great customer service!  I spoke to a very helpful person who grabbed my service order and made a note that the pen has sentimental value and it's not to be destroyed.  She also told me that if they can't repair the pen, that they'll send me a comparable replacement AND return my Lapis Lazuli.

To be continued....

Good to hear. Let us know how things turn out. My experience with Cross repair in Rhode Island has always been stellar.

Sponsored Content

|