Kung Te Cheng...or Equivalents

elippman

I like diamine Imperial blue a lot as a blue-purple ink. Never used ktc but from the pictures it looks similar. Somewhere between Imperial blue and Imperial purple at least :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• elippman

• IndigoBOB

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Odd how that works. I can see it if I click your link, but if I go to ebay and search for it, it doesn't show up. Perhaps ebay is national? The one you link to is British, so maybe that's why it wasn't coming up. Too bad though. I paid almost the same amount for a used pen. If it ends up being a lemon, perhaps I'll fall back on this one. I just got a notification for mine. Estimated arrival--18 May.

My No-Nonsense arrived this afternoon. Unfortunately, I got a bad one. Mine is unbearably scratchy due to what appears to be a factory defect (be warned, if you want to get one from the same eBay seller). Under a loupe I could see that the nib wasn't cut straight, so you have to hold the pen at a very specific angle in order to get it to write properly. If you can keep it in the tiny sweet spot, it is buttery/glassy smooth, but if you stray just the slightest...scratchy hell on earth!

After examining the pen, I half-filled a cartridge with KTC and put it in the pen. My suspicions about using a No-Nonsense medium nib for KTC were correct...it's excellent. Flow is flawless and on non-absorbent paper you get KTC in all its full indigo glory. I personally believe this is THE PEN for dedicated KTC use, just make sure to get one without a messed up nib. I think I'm going to have to buy another from a different seller just for the nib. If you are a KTC fan, get one of these pens, preferably one still in the original sealed card.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

If you get another, you'll probably have better luck. They normally have a wide sweet spot, or "writing pad" as Richard Binder calls it.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

My No-Nonsense arrived this afternoon. Unfortunately, I got a bad one. Mine is unbearably scratchy due to what appears to be a factory defect (be warned, if you want to get one from the same eBay seller). Under a loupe I could see that the nib wasn't cut straight, so you have to hold the pen at a very specific angle in order to get it to write properly. If you can keep it in the tiny sweet spot, it is buttery/glassy smooth, but if you stray just the slightest...scratchy hell on earth!

After examining the pen, I half-filled a cartridge with KTC and put it in the pen. My suspicions about using a No-Nonsense medium nib for KTC were correct...it's excellent. Flow is flawless and on non-absorbent paper you get KTC in all its full indigo glory. I personally believe this is THE PEN for dedicated KTC use, just make sure to get one without a messed up nib. I think I'm going to have to buy another from a different seller just for the nib. If you are a KTC fan, get one of these pens, preferably one still in the original sealed card.

Well you just sent this one to the top of my list.

They have the DC pen show coming up, biggest here in the US, early august. You might be able to find something there if you're able to.

Buying vintage pens online is quite a gamble from my experience and what others tell me. Even at pen shows you have to make sure you have them inked.

I had one seller at the Long Island Pen show ink up a Parker 51 with a wet ink for me and the thing could barely write...

... and then he continued to bull$h!# me about how that's normal and these pens require pressure to write :roller1: . It turned me off from Vintage pens even more...

...that's like it's own market IMO, requiring a very different approach... more of a pain in the @$$ lol : (

How odd! I just got mine today too, but from Romania. I won't be able to ink it until tomorrow, but when I do, I'm hoping to do an over-and-under writing sample showing the fine nib of the No Nonsense v. the Medium nib of my 90s-era school pen, which is already dedicated to this ink. You'd pay as much if not more than if you just bought another pen, but I have seen No Nonsense nib units for sale on ebay (e.g., https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sheaffer-No-nonsense-MEDIUM-NIb-NEW-OLD-STOCK/350373310678?epid=1931824861&hash=item5193e070d6:g:Gv8AAOSwcu5UMVjX).

How odd! I just got mine today too, but from Romania. I won't be able to ink it until tomorrow, but when I do, I'm hoping to do an over-and-under writing sample showing the fine nib of the No Nonsense v. the Medium nib of my 90s-era school pen, which is already dedicated to this ink. You'd pay as much if not more than if you just bought another pen, but I have seen No Nonsense nib units for sale on ebay (e.g., https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sheaffer-No-nonsense-MEDIUM-NIb-NEW-OLD-STOCK/350373310678?epid=1931824861&hash=item5193e070d6:g:Gv8AAOSwcu5UMVjX).

It's my own fault because I went against my policy for buying old Sheaffer pens. Usually I only go for those still in the unopened blister pack, but I just couldn't resist the color on this one. Unfortunately it's getting harder and harder to find these without calligraphy nibs.

I'm really looking forward to reading your impressions of your No Nonsense!

Well you just sent this one to the top of my list.

They have the DC pen show coming up, biggest here in the US, early august. You might be able to find something there if you're able to.

Buying vintage pens online is quite a gamble from my experience and what others tell me. Even at pen shows you have to make sure you have them inked.

I had one seller at the Long Island Pen show ink up a Parker 51 with a wet ink for me and the thing could barely write...

... and then he continued to bull$h!# me about how that's normal and these pens require pressure to write :roller1: . It turned me off from Vintage pens even more...

...that's like it's own market IMO, requiring a very different approach... more of a pain in the @$$ lol : (

Yeah, vintage pen shopping online is a real gamble, one that I have lost many times. Note that all those pens I sent to Linda for repairs were online vintage pen purchases. I've got another batch now awaiting repairs as well. Unfortunately, I crave nibs that haven't been made in ages so I've got no choice but to go vintage. For me vintage oblique flex is out of this world, when the pen works, that is. Edited by TruthPil

Here are some comparison shots of KTC in some vintage Sheaffers. The top line was written with a 1950s Sheaffer Cartridge (aka "School") Pen with 305 medium nib. The bottom line was written with a 1990s Sheaffer No Nonsense with a medium nib. The paper is a Black 'n Red Journal (wonderfully smooth 24lbs Optik Paper).

fpn_1526043738__ktc_and_m_sheaffers_01.j

fpn_1526043921__ktc_and_m_sheaffers_02.j

The line width is pretty much identical. The only reason why the bottom line is wider at times is because I accidently applied extra pressure to compensate for the wonky feeling of the nib. The No Nonsense nib was a little wetter and put at a more consistently saturated line, so less shading that the School Pen but deeper color overall. I definitely prefer the No Nonsense (apart from the defective nib) due to its greater girth and solid feeling in the hand. If I can just get a new nib for this pen, it will be a permanent match made in heaven!

OK, so here's my comparison of Sheaffers. I also threw in an FPR Jaipur for an outside comparison (and an ebonite feed). Although the No Nonsense with the fine point writes well, it seems quite a bit drier than the medium point, which results in a slight lightening up of the ink line. I can only hope that this will change over time. I just put the ink in it, so the feed is hardly saturated at this point, but I do hope that it gets darker. Notice also that the line width between the Medium and the Fines is not all that different. The Jaipur definitely puts out more ink but in a less controlled manner, so I wouldn't be carrying it to meetings or anything along those lines. A KTC mess in the middle of a meeting is something I'd rather not imagine.

post-110139-0-54841000-1526047005_thumb.jpg

Edited by elippman

Thanks for posting that, very helpful!

Could the greater saturation with the school pen also be due to using it as an eyedropper, or is it a refilled cartridge?

For me the medium nib is definitely the way to go. One factor with the No Nonsense pens is that different versions have different feeds. My 80s No Nonsense has a feed made from much harder material (it kind of looks even like ebonite to me, but I know that's impossible) that is cut in the same manner as the older model school pens, whereas this 90s one I just got has a really cheapo-looking plastic feed. I'm going to hunt down one of the older medium nibs for this pen, but the flow is still fine with the current feed.

I hear you about ink disasters in meetings. This is one ink you do not want to get on anything!

• 3 weeks later...

The Sheaffer No Nonsense with medium nib has now had KTC in it for a couple weeks and it writes great. I have left it unused for as long as a week and didn't have a hard start! Flow is nice and wet without being too much so. Pen and ink are a perfect match.

The Sheaffer No Nonsense with medium nib has now had KTC in it for a couple weeks and it writes great. I have left it unused for as long as a week and didn't have a hard start! Flow is nice and wet without being too much so. Pen and ink are a perfect match.

Good news. That keeps it at the top of my list.

Unfortunately Karas Kustoms has decided to launch some interesting pens I have my eye on now and I can't unstick my sights yet... Not much info on them besides this:

Good news. That keeps it at the top of my list.

Unfortunately Karas Kustoms has decided to launch some interesting pens I have my eye on now and I can't unstick my sights yet... Not much info on them besides this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elp90hkkn20&t=10s

No rush, Speerbob seems to have an endless supply of No Nonsenses for around $20.

No rush, Speerbob seems to have an endless supply of No Nonsenses for around $20.

You weren't kiddin'. Especially if you like Italics.

You weren't kiddin'. Especially if you like Italics.

The fine italic is one of my favorites for snazzy journaling, but it spreads KTC just a tad too thin so you lose a little of the deep indigo glory.

The fine italic is one of my favorites for snazzy journaling, but it spreads KTC just a tad too thin so you lose a little of the deep indigo glory.

Duly noted : ) Sounds wonderful :cloud9:

• 4 weeks later...

This doesn't have the permanence, but the color is a very lovely one that reminds me of KTC and moves to the top of my list because I love sailor inks as well:

Ugh, and just when I had decided to be satisfied with the inks that I have for a while. This one does look quite interesting, although probably really dark. I will say that I've been thinking a lot about Monteverde Sapphire along these lines. I have a small bottle of it, and think that it does really well when it comes to being a vibrant blue-purple. I saw it was in this review as well. As far as Sailor inks go, Kobe Maya Lapis is still a go-to for me as well. Sailor inks are often very complex, and Maya Lapis is a phenomenon to behold when looked at up close. So lately, in addition to my KTC pens, I've kept a couple others inked with each of those as well.

Edited by elippman

This doesn't have the permanence, but the color is a very lovely one that reminds me of KTC and moves to the top of my list because I love sailor inks as well:

Stunningly gorgeous deep indigo! Wow!! Thanks for introducing this ink. Looking at the copy paper sample though, the feathering and bleed through were far more than just "a little bit" or "mild." Nevertheless, KTC would probably fair just as poorly haha.

Just when I thought KTC and Diamine Sargasso Sea were enough to satisfy my deep dark blue needs....

Ugh, and just when I had decided to be satisfied with the inks that I have for a while. This one does look quite interesting, although probably really dark. I will say that I've been thinking a lot about Monteverde Sapphire along these lines. I have a small bottle of it, and think that it does really well when it comes to being a vibrant blue-purple. I saw it was in this review as well. As far as Sailor inks go, Kobe Maya Lapis is still a go-to for me as well. Sailor inks are often very complex, and Maya Lapis is a phenomenon to behold when looked at up close. So lately, in addition to my KTC pens, I've kept a couple others inked with each of those as well.

I know, I know, it is pretty dark. I should mention that I favor darker inks for the increased legibility because I do a lot of writing in dim or low lit light, so I have that bias, along with liking indigo inks if it was too apparent : P

You make a good point especially if you're sensitive too see through it may be bothersome. I use the most see-through-inks on the market : P

I took a look at the Monteverde Sapphire on Gouletpens and it's just a beautiful vibrant blue :happy: . I don't do blues that often, but I find that sapphire inks still draw my attention. 90 mL for $15 is a great value!

I can see why you like Kobe Maya Lapis. I can't differentiate it very easily from the Monteverde Sapphire in side by side images on the internet.

Stunningly gorgeous deep indigo! Wow!! Thanks for introducing this ink. Looking at the copy paper sample though, the feathering and bleed through were far more than just "a little bit" or "mild." Nevertheless, KTC would probably fair just as poorly haha.

Just when I thought KTC and Diamine Sargasso Sea were enough to satisfy my deep dark blue needs....

lol I know. I wouldn't call it a replacement : ( , but I think it qualifies as an alternative since the colors are similar, though, I agree; it really is meant to be used on the very fountain pen friendly brands of paper (Rhodia, Clairefontaine, Tomoe).

Yah, me, too... I wasn't expecting this ink to come out of the woodwork, and I'm so glad it's Sailor. For how much I enjoy those inks, I think they're worth it (though I'd very much prefer a better price :glare: ), especially for personal Tomoe River moments :happycloud9: .

From my experience Mike Matteson's youtube ink reviews have been reliable and congruent with inks I've had the opportunity to try. I'll admit, his liking of certain inks factors into my decision making, and his enthusiasm put this ink quickly to the top of my list which is 1 ink long :P.

You know, I've been impressed with the PenBBS 309's performance with Kiwa Guro so far. I might have to try KTC in it. I left the 309 unused for a few weeks when I was nearly out of ink (decided to test how it dries out unused).

I've been using a lot of ballpoints (Schmidt Easyflow 9000 and Pentel Energels) lately while simultaneously being happy with my Jinhao x750_Franklin-Chrstoph_Med(with Noodler's Walnut) so I've stuck with this setup lately. Plus I've been so busy that it's simply more convenient to have 1 fountain pen to carry around and worry about... right now (may not last long lol).