Feedback And The Sensation Of Pressure

KellyMcJ

I have a question for those who have experienced many different types of nibs- do the different "types" of feedback affect how much pressure it feels like one is putting on the pen?

I make an effort not to press very hard when writing and usually succeed- however I've noticed that with my Sailor B nib (which has a distinctive yet enjoyable (to me) feedback with which many are familiar I'm sure.) It feels as though I'm pressing harder than with other pens.

Now, I don't need to press hard at all and I can't see why I would have a light touch with all of my pens and then suddenly change with this one pen. Could it be that distinctive "drag" that tricks my brain into thinking that I'm using more pressure than necessary?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KellyMcJ

• Chrissy

• Randal6393

• clazbill

It might be that it has a finer nib than you're used to because it's a Japanese pen rather than a Western pen, and they come up finer. You shouldn't really need to press down to write with any FP. :huh:

It might be that it has a finer nib than you're used to because it's a Japanese pen rather than a Western pen, and they come up finer. You shouldn't really need to press down to write with any FP. :huh:

It's not a finer nib than I'm used to- I have everything from Japanese fine/western XF to western broad.

To me "no pressure" means I inadvertently lift the pen off the page at points (the pen didn't skip, I skipped.)

It's not a finer nib than I'm used to- I have everything from Japanese fine/western XF to western broad.

To me "no pressure" means I inadvertently lift the pen off the page at points (the pen didn't skip, I skipped.)

Maybe this pen just doesn't have as good a flow as the others you use then? Otherwise I can't think of any other reason why you might think you need to apply more pressure with it.

Maybe this pen just doesn't have as good a flow as the others you use then? Otherwise I can't think of any other reason why you might think you need to apply more pressure with it.

I don't need to apply more pressure with it. That was the entire point of the question. I'm not applying more pressure (at least I don't think I am) but it feels like I am (which wigs me out because I am afraid I'll damage my nib).

It feels as though I'm pressing harder than with other pens.

Now, I don't need to press hard at all and I can't see why I would have a light touch with all of my pens and then suddenly change with this one pen. Could it be that distinctive "drag" that tricks my brain into thinking that I'm using more pressure than necessary?

It feels like you're pressing harder but you aren't? If you're not, then you can't damage your nib can you? You can only imagine that you will. :wacko:

It feels like you're pressing harder but you aren't? If you're not, then you can't damage your nib can you? You can only imagine that you will. :wacko:

Exactly. I wanted to know if others had the same experience with certain types of feedback.

Of note, too, previously my favorite nibs have been glass smooth (I have a vintage Wahl that has one of the best nibs I've ever seen and it's unbelievable. I can only imagine that it was well used and well worn in by the previous owner.)

If you feel like you are pressing hard -- or, need to press hard, -- your pen is not in the zone. It's catching somewhere, not enough flow, too much flow at times, some other recognizable problem that needs correcting.

An example: I have a nice Wing Sung pen that takes Lamy steel nibs (the 3003, I believe). It has been a bit of a hard starter and then flows a bit too freely once it starts. I had a project that required a sharp, thin line with good hairlines and would do a good italic script. So, out came the stones and I worked with the edge until it was smoother -- just shy of butter-smooth. And the flow went down but started easily. Now the feedback is perfect, the pen writes well, and I whipped through my page of italic in just a few minutes.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

If you feel like you are pressing hard -- or, need to press hard, -- your pen is not in the zone. It's catching somewhere, not enough flow, too much flow at times, some other recognizable problem that needs correcting.

An example: I have a nice Wing Sung pen that takes Lamy steel nibs (the 3003, I believe). It has been a bit of a hard starter and then flows a bit too freely once it starts. I had a project that required a sharp, thin line with good hairlines and would do a good italic script. So, out came the stones and I worked with the edge until it was smoother -- just shy of butter-smooth. And the flow went down but started easily. Now the feedback is perfect, the pen writes well, and I whipped through my page of italic in just a few minutes.

Enjoy,

Oh it doesn't have a single flow issue whatsoever.

I also wouldn't want a single thing changed. I love the way it writes. I just wanted to know if others experienced feedback in a similar way.

Edited by KellyMcJ

I have a few Platinum 3776 pens. They have a kind of feedback that is unlike any other pen I've tried. I have not tried a Sailor pen.

I don't think I press down any harder than other pens though I do check myself every now and then because the feedback makes me question how much pressure I'm using. Most of the time I can back off the pressure more than I think and the 3776 pens keep writing.

I have a few Platinum 3776 pens. They have a kind of feedback that is unlike any other pen I've tried. I have not tried a Sailor pen.

I don't think I press down any harder than other pens though I do check myself every now and then because the feedback makes me question how much pressure I'm using. Most of the time I can back off the pressure more than I think and the 3776 pens keep writing.

This is about what I am experiencing. I too find that I can back off on pressure- it writes like a dream, and I actually love love love the feedback- but coming from greased glass to this takes some getting used to!

I tried experiencing this on HP 32 lbs, Clairefontaine and Tomoe River paper, with a Sailor 21k HM, a Pelikan 18k F, a Lamy Steel F that is particularly smooth, with Tsuyu Kusa, Callifolio Équinoxe 6 and Yama Guri. I am using what seems like no pressure, all three glide as if floating on a micro drop of ink, but there is some feedback from the paper, it's not completely disconnected. Tomoe River seems the smoothest, followed by Clairefontaine and then HP. For some reason the Pelikan doesn't like Clairefontaine as much as the others so it requires a tiny bit of pressure; it also seems to improve the more I use it, which isn't that easy when you're rotating 20 pens...

I experienced something like what you describe with the Sailor, Tusyu Kusa came out pale and then dragged more than floated; I pressed a little on the nib, and somehow it got way wetter, Tsuyu Kusa looks saturated, but the nib looks and feels like before, there's no spread tines or anything like that and feels more like it's floating.

Not having to press at all and having saturated inks makes me want to write more, while I don't press down on any of my pens it's more of a conscious effort to make them write; seems like a good reason to have them tuned.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I have a couple of pens with hyper-flexible dip nibs: one is a bit scratcher than the others, and I wouldn’t call any of them “butter-smooth”; it’s a trade-off between smoothness and personality.

The closest thing I have to what youre describing is my Pilot Custom Heritage 91, which has a SF nib. I find myself inevitably using more pressure than I do with my other pens (which is still minimal). Its my only gold nib and only soft nib, and the feedback it gives is definitely unique, so I think you might be on to something.

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>