Leather Levenger Durability?

JournalPanda

Hi all! New member here!

I'm looking at buying Levenger's rose gold junior disc bound book. Currently I am using the Arc system, however I've noticed that the quilted leather-like material on the book I have is very easily damaged by fingernails etc. I have to do so much babying with it that I wouldn't mind paying up to go with Levenger, but I want to avoid paying a premium price for a product that will need to be babied just as much.

Anyone have one of Levengers leather products who can attest to durability?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Otter1

• JournalPanda

• dapv

• inkypete

I've carried a letter-sized Levenger bomber jacket Circa around for several years now at work and it has worn well. For a good bit cheaper, though, you could get the ARC smooth leather covers which also wear really well--never used their quilted covers.

-Otter1

I've carried a letter-sized Levenger bomber jacket Circa around for several years now at work and it has worn well. For a good bit cheaper, though, you could get the ARC smooth leather covers which also wear really well--never used their quilted covers.

-Otter1

Those do wear well, but I don't like the color selection much I have to say. Glad to hear it wears well! Any signs of damage?

Nope, no wear marks yet on the levenger one.

I use it primarily in the home and office, so it pretty much goes in and out of my briefcase, and from my desk to various conference rooms--not exactly rugged use.

Btw--if you can live with someone else's initials or slight defects, levenger has an outlet as well as an ebay presence with good deals....

I have a black leather zip folio, their so-called junior size that holds an A5 notebook/journal with lots of room to spare. It has a pen loop on the side next to the zipper, and I can carry another pen on the bound side of my journal; just have to remember it's there so as not to drop it when opening the zipper.

It came to me from Levenger (at full price) with a surface fault in the leather, but I did not deem it sufficiently evil to return it for a replacement. It has been tossed around three cars (it carries my mileage log among other things) for at least the past six years, and it is holding up very well.

Levenger is pricey unless you catch what you want on a good sale, but I've never found fault with their durability. Don't like their papers; most feather and bleed with anything but a dry ink in a fine nib.

I only have two levenger pieces - a shirt pocket notebook and a large document satchel, both in leather. The satchel has not seen too much action and is perfect but the pocket noter is never out of my sight. It goes everywhere crowded with business cards and a notepad. It has worn remarkably well. I am in awe of the hard life it has had and how well it has kept its shape and leather condition.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

-Otter1

Maybe tangential to the subject, I've been going back and forth between which of the two get, the letter or junior size. Can you please share more about how you use the letter-size circa, thoughts on the junior size, and which paper punch is useful, if you use one. Thank you.

CFTPM

Tangents are what discussions are all about.

My wife, myself, and my daughter all use Circa/ARC notesbooks for various purposes.

I carry the letter sized as a daily planner for work--I tend to have zillions of things to track. I also have a junior sized one for jotting notes when out and about. My wife and daughter use the Junior size for the same thing (one for work, one for school).

I like the letter sized for the amount of text I can get on a page, but find the junior size much more portable--and since you can move pages around, I often stick a junior page in my letter size notebook.

As to the punch--I have their little one, and what they call the universal punch--and the universal works the best. Their huge one seems like overkill to me, but have never used it.

Hope that helps,

Otter1

• 3 weeks later...

You could also check out Tul notebooks at Office Depot. They're essentially the same and may have a color you like better.

Edited by Conan the Grammarian

Conan the Grammarian

“No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film.” ~ Robert Adams

“Aerodynamics are for people who can’t build engines” ~ Enzo Ferrari

Cogito ergo spud. [i think therefore I yam.]

I'll just add that the Levenger rose gold leather is a new product, introduced within the last few months I think, so it's hard to predict whether or not it will be durable.

Hope you can find what you need (or just want)!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm just getting into the discbound world with Levenger's starter kit. I'm finding the paper quality pretty good, but would love to know what everyone else is using as alternatives. It would be awesome if I could use Clairefontaine, but I don't know if that's possible.

Welcome to the obsession [i say with a smile]. I sometimes think it's a tacit acceptance, sort of like "resistance is futile, you will be assimilated". But, it's an enjoyable journey. If you have a Levenger paper punch, then any paper you chose is an alternative. The Levenger all metal Universal punch (the middle one in size and price) will also handle heavier stock than the smallest plastic punch. Go forth bravely.

CFTPM