The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Id Help, Please

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Shannon

Shannon

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 18:09

Hi there.

I found this pen knocking around in a closet.  I'd love to know a little about it.  It's definitely not a high-end pen -- I would imagine a school pen from the 60s?

Thanks.

fpn_1510510041__20171112_110142_resized.

fpn_1510510134__20171112_110221_resized.

Ink samples to trade:  Levenger (Smokey, Blue Bahama, Always Greener, Skies of Blue, Fireball, Pinkly, Gemstone Green, Cobalt Blue, Raven Black, Cardinal Red, Cocoa, Amethyst); J. Herbin (Lie de The, Emerald de Chivor, Storm Grey, Rouge Hematite); Diamine (Purple Pazzazz, Bilberry, Ancient Copper, Blue Black, Indigo, and Damson); Sailor (Tokiwa-matsu, Souten); and Chesterfield (Antique Yankee, Night Sapphire, Antique Raven, Antique Walnut, Archival Black, Antique Jade)

Looking for: surprise me!

Sponsored Content

#2 joss

joss

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2017 - 18:40

I have no idea what kind of activity "knocking around in a closet" is but your pen is an early 1960s Parker-Eversharp "Big E".

Check this webpage (at bottom):

http://parkercollect...sharp.html#bige

#3 Shannon

Shannon

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 18:55

Thank you!

Ink samples to trade:  Levenger (Smokey, Blue Bahama, Always Greener, Skies of Blue, Fireball, Pinkly, Gemstone Green, Cobalt Blue, Raven Black, Cardinal Red, Cocoa, Amethyst); J. Herbin (Lie de The, Emerald de Chivor, Storm Grey, Rouge Hematite); Diamine (Purple Pazzazz, Bilberry, Ancient Copper, Blue Black, Indigo, and Damson); Sailor (Tokiwa-matsu, Souten); and Chesterfield (Antique Yankee, Night Sapphire, Antique Raven, Antique Walnut, Archival Black, Antique Jade)

#4 joss

joss

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2017 - 19:06

You are welcome!

And I appologize for my comment on your knocking around in the closet: in my part of the world the word "closet" is connected to "toilet" so I was a bit confused, sorry.  

Edited by joss, 12 November 2017 - 19:06.

#5 Shannon

Shannon

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:32

Absolutely no need to apologize....  It's actually pretty funny now that you've explained it!

#6 RoyalBear

RoyalBear

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2017 - 00:26

I believe your pen is the Parker/Eversharp Challenger and it is the forerunner of the Parker 45. I have one that's doesn't have a cap band. I plan to bring it to our December pen club meeting and enter it into the "Ugliest Pen" contest. 

Challenger.jpg

#7 parkergeo

parkergeo

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2017 - 14:55

joss was correct - It's a Big E, second version. 

Here's the evolution of that family from top to bottom, old to new(er):

10,000 Word pen - undercut hood; short grooved gripping section

Challenger - hood was reversed to a more normal hooded appearance; short grooved section

Big E first version - long, non-grooved section; press-fit nib and feed (cousin to the Parker 19)

Big E second version - long, non-grooved section; screw-in collar, nib and feed (cousin to the Parker 45

Big E second version with the nib assembly removed. 

When a metal cap was added to the Big E, it was marketed as the Point *7

fpn_1511534690__ever-park.jpg

Sponsored Content

|