Graf Von Faber-Castell Cognac Brown

visvamitra

Graf von Faber-Castell was founded in 1761 and developed into the major manufacturer of wood-cased pencils. With time they started to offer much broader range of products. Few years ago company's introduced six inks. Last year they've added three new colors to the line. This year they've done the same. Two new GvFC colors hit the shelfs.

1. Burned Orange
  2. Carbon Black
  3. Cobalt Blue
  4. Cognac Brown
  5. Deep Sea Green
  6. Electric Pink
  7. Garnet Red
  8. Hazelnut Brown
  9. Midnight Blue
  10. Moss Green
  11. Olive Green
  12. Royal Blue
  13. Stone Grey
  14. Turquoise
  15. Violet Blue

fpn_1510469642__cognacbrown_gvc_is.jpg

Cognac Brown looks a bit subdued. While the ink behaves fairly well, I find it rather boring.

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1510469682__cognacbrown_gvc_rk.jpg

Software ID

fpn_1510469699__cognacbrown_gvc_rhodia_3

Color range

fpn_1510469711__cognacbrown_gvc_rhodia_4

Rhodia, Caran d'Ache Varius, B

fpn_1510471431__cognacbrown_gvc_rhodia_1

fpn_1510471451__cognacbrown_gvc_rhodia_2

Fabriano, Jinhao 599, F

fpn_1510469739__cognacbrown_gvc_fabriano

fpn_1510469763__cognacbrown_gvc_fabriano

Midori, Hero 5028, stub 1.9

fpn_1510469808__cognacbrown_gvc_midori_1

fpn_1510471412__cognacbrown_gvc_midori_2

Water resistance

fpn_1510469791__cognacbrown_gvc_h2o.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• migo984

• visvamitra

• lapis

• inkstainedruth

slowly comming to the end of my Akkerman Bekakt Haags, I thought this might be my next brown. Thanks for the review. I now know I'd better look further!

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

Another very pretty GvFC ink; I enjoy variety in my inks so I'm happy with this one. Like the other inks in this range, it's not for those who don't like subtlety & a bit unfair to compare it to saturated inks; it's a different animal altogether.

I really love the look of this ink on hand-made, rag/cotton-rich, uncoated papers. It's not an ink for papers like Rhodia or Clairefontaine

Verba volant, scripta manent

Thanks for the review, Vis. It does look like it belongs in the LArtisan Pastellier line, and also resembles Papier Plume Caramel. Seitz Kreuznachs Cognac appears more saturated and more orange to my view. This is from an earlier review of SK Cognac by Lgsoltek in our Index.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1467003396__sk-cognac.jpg

Edited by Herrjaeger

Thanks and I agree with you, too. The cognac(s) I'm used to have more of a golden glow in them. This hue is, as you say, too much of a pastell. Fits more with a glass of chocolate milk than the real thing. (How embarassing.)

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thinking that this looks somewhat similar to Diamine Ochre (which I've tried and found nice for drawing, but possibly not enough to merit getting a full bottle) or their Anniversary ink Terra Cotta (which I like a whole lot).

Thanks for the review. I don't use this color much, but it's a maybe. I'd have to see some comparison scans.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

It shades....a saving grace. Didn't like the Hazelnut in it's review either. It's not something I'd pay more than Kaweco Karamel Brown cartridge money for.

""""I really love the look of this ink on hand-made, rag/cotton-rich, uncoated papers. It's not an ink for papers like Rhodia or Clairefontaine"""" On cotton 100-50% I'd not expect any shading, which I would on Rhodia or Clairefontaine.

I don't know if it would look better on an ivory paper.

I do like the GvFC Moss Green that matched it's review.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 2 months later...

I personally rather like this ink. It reminds me of Pelikan Edelstein Amber. I think it is "worth a bottle" and so am glad I found one while travelling in Geneva yesterday. But I agree there are more interesting and deeply shaded amber/brown inks out there.

I’ve recently put this ink into my Pilot 823 FA, and it is such a great combination. I’m liking this ink more and more.

• 2 months later...

I tried the Cognac Brown ink a few days ago.

The ink is too transparent, barely visible when used on a medium width nib.

But then I tried it on a calligraphic pen and the thickness makes the ink visible enough for writing.

I wanted a warmer tone on my text notes and Cognac Brown does not serve that purpose. I won't buy it again, at least for writing notes on paper.

I wanted a warmer tone on my text notes and Cognac Brown does not serve that purpose. I won't buy it again, at least for writing notes on paper.

What about Waterman Absolute Brown (easy on the eye, easily available, economical) KWZ Honey (a warm rich yellow-tone brown with great shading), or Diamine Saddle Brown (middle-of-the-road neutral tone, reasonable price)?

• 2 months later...

I recently purchased a bottle of Cognac Brown, and the ink I have is slightly darker and richer than the images from 2017. Maybe it's an old bottle that's been sitting, or a new formulation? It definitely goes on wet as a beautiful color, and once it dries, it loses some of the richness.

In this color range of warm light browns, my favorite is L'Artisan Pastellier Callifolio INTI. Yummy color with a stub nib.

This looks like it was written with a faulty pen. (I know this could be called 'shading'). Thank you for showing it to us.