Masters For Meisterstuck Ink Filling Issues

Saberstrong

Hello,

I purchased a Masters for Meisterstuck a few months ago. I used it a few times and then it sat for several months without use. I unscrewed the end counterclockwise, submerged the nip, twisted clockwise, then removed the nip from the ink and turned counterclockwise again, and no ink was released. I repeated this process several times and it appears that the pen isnt pulling in any ink. Any advice?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saberstrong

• hari317

• Chrissy

• admmarcos

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I assume you flushed and cleaned out the pen before leaving it for several months, otherwise it might need to go back to Montblanc for a service. So first I would try soaking the end of the section (covering to just above the nib and feed) in warm water overnight.

Then try the pen again in clean warm water and see if it draws up water. If it doesn't, it will probably need to go back to Montblanc. It should be covered as it's hopefully still in it's 1 year warranty.

I tried that after reading several google search results. Unfortunately no luck. I’m embarrassed to say that I have this pen as my first fountain pen. It was received as a gift after graduating with my masters, and I had/have no idea how to use or care for it. My daily carry is a 39 cent bic.

I use the mystery black Mont Blanc ink. Soaked it already. No luck. Gotta get it serviced. These things are high maintenance.

When you dipped the nib in the ink to fill the pen, how deep did you put it in?

If you haven't yet, try this: Unscrew the back end of the pen gently until it stops, this will extend the piston all the way towards the nib. Then dip the whole nib into the ink, all the way up to the gripping section where you hold it. Then turn the knob to screw it all the way in, which will retract the piston away from the nib, and should draw ink into the pen. Wipe away excess ink, and see if it will write.

If it completely won't fill at all, then Montblanc should fix it under warranty, as long as it was purchased from an authorized dealer.

For comparison, I've had a Montblanc model 149 piston filler for 37 years, that has needed to be serviced only twice in all that time; your pen has the same basic design as mine.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

Hi Kalessin,

Thank you for the reply and the video. I attempted the steps mentioned several times with the same result. One thing to note, when I turn the end counterclockwise it does not “stop” as you mentioned. It just releases from the threads and then there’s a certain position where the piston can then be fully removed. The pen was purchased from an authorized MB dealer in Orlando.

All I know is that you should never use saturated inks in a MB. I use either MB or waterman or private rserve inks which are not saturated. Cleaning your pens with cold water regularly avoids them to have clogs and work bad.

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

... One thing to note, when I turn the end counterclockwise it does not “stop” as you mentioned. It just releases from the threads and then there’s a certain position where the piston can then be fully removed. ...

perhaps the filler has simply backed out, if that is indeed so, the fix is very simple. To help confirm, Can you post a picture of the pen at the stage when you say the piston can be fully removed?

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I wouldn't have thought that the piston should be that easy to remove?

Perhaps it's not taking in ink, because it's just unscrewing from the barrel, rather than activating the piston?

Have you tried turning the knob while the piston is out of the barrel, to check that the piston is moving up and down?

If you don't live far from your boutique, I'd definitely take it in and ask them to look at it.

Good luck.

I think CS388 may be right.

If it's easy, I would go back to the boutique with it, because even if if you can now succeed in getting the rod to move up and down, you might not be able to get the piston back in properly. It's usually quite difficult to get the cone back on so that it goes back to the right position, with the correct piston travel inside the barrel.

Here are some more pictures, including a picture with the piston removed.

The piston filler unit has backed out.

It is a simple DIY fix. or you can ask MB to fix it for you.

If you would like to do it on your own, write here and I will be happy to walk you through it.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Hari,

That would be very kind. Thank you.

there is a pdf file at the post linked below:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/125061-lubing-the-piston-of-my-149/page-2?do=findComment&comment=1247075

I would suggest you read the second part of that pdf fully.

Your fix is much simpler, since you need not undertake any disassembly of the filler per se.

• With the filler out of the pen like you have shown in the photo, just grip the metallic shaft of the filler with your left hand and unscrew the cone counter-clockwise using your right hand by just two-three turns. Go no further. You will have exposed two slots. stop at this stage.
  • now using a paper clip or a fruit fork, fashion a small tool to engage the slots. There are plenty of threads on this topic. like this one here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/200655-the-cheapest-tool-to-untwist-a-montblanc/

Pro version of this tool can now be purchased from a vendor in usa also. he is called pentooling. my tool was made by Francis-fountainbel. It has served me well and was a good investment.

• Engage the tool to the slots and then tighten the cone over it by screwing the cone clockwise.
  • apply a minute coat of pure silicone grease to the lip of the piston seal (the seal is that milky white translucent part)
  • Now simply thread-in the assembly into the barrel.
  • using the tool for leverage, just tighten the assembly so that it is snug into the barrel. Don't over-tighten.
  • unscrew the cone.
  • release the tool
  • test filler using water.

HTH, let us know how it goes.

Edited by hari317