Mystery Duofold. Any Suggestions?

Cob

I have just acquired a rather strange Parker Duofold. It bears no resemblance to anything on the Parker Collector.com. Perhaps someone here has an idea?

The pen in green marbled material is relatively small - 115mm long , capped. A button filler, it is fitted with a Televisor type compound pressure bar. The section is some sort of plastics, translucent at the barrel end like some Waterman's pens that I have had. The nib, not identified as gold (though I am pretty sure it is) is stamped Parker Pen Made in USA; there is a very small 4 stamped also and on the bottom LH corner, R. Here are three photographs - I apologise for the quality, but if not in daylight, my camera is useless!

It has been suggested that this may be an early Newhaven prototype. Otherwise well, ?????

Thanks in advance

Cob

fpn_1510422936__mystery_d_1.jpg

fpn_1510422974__mystery_d_2.jpg

fpn_1510423004__mystery_d_3.jpg

Edited by Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cob

• BT_Summers

• FarmBoy

• mitto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Perhaps an english duofold ns? With a replacement nib?

https://parkerpens.net/ukduofold.html

Thanks for your reply, but it is too small, and the imprint and indeed the section are not correct - plus of course the pressure bar! I have had quite a few English Duofolds.

At present I am inclined to think that there are too many points of difference for it to be a Frankenpen, so a prototype seems at present the best solution.

Thanks again

Cob.

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

Nib is a replacement. Unusual doesn’t need to mean take the jump straight to a prototype.

I may have still have the same or a very similar pen I’ll need to look.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Nib is a replacement. Unusual doesn’t need to mean take the jump straight to a prototype.

I may have still have the same or a very similar pen I’ll need to look.

Thanks

I hope you can find yours.

So where did this "Duofold" come from? It is nothing like any other English one I have seen.

Cob

Thanks

I hope you can find yours.

So where did this "Duofold" come from? It is nothing like any other English one I have seen.

Cob

But are you sure you have seen all the English ones? :)

Khan M. Ilyas

Looks like a Canadian Duofold NS. I have a Victory in the same celluloid with that wide band (which distinguishes them from English Victories).

It seems to have been largely derived from Challenger (Televisor?) parts.

The only difference between our two pens is the shape of the cap and clip, and mine is a standard 132 mm pen. The deminutive size of your pen is a real mystery as the smaller Challengers were 122 mm.

But are you sure you have seen all the English ones? :)

Thank you. Well not physically of course, but as I said I could not identify it from Parker Collector.com

Looks like a Canadian Duofold NS. I have a Victory in the same celluloid with that wide band (which distinguishes them from English Victories).

It seems to have been largely derived from Challenger (Televisor?) parts.

The only difference between our two pens is the shape of the cap and clip, and mine is a standard 132 mm pen. The deminutive size of your pen is a real mystery as the smaller Challengers were 122 mm.

Yes Peter, it really is the size that is perhaps the most baffling - plus of course the pressure bar and strange section

Cob

Sorry to rain on your parade but I dont think that the pen is so very unusual. A 1930s Duofold in a regular pattern with a replacement nib, that looks like it needs replacing again.

Like so many near 90 year old pens, it has been through an amateur restorer who has just made things word as best they can from their parts box. A switch to a later 35 Newhaven nib could make this a useful pen.

Sorry to rain on your parade but I dont think that the pen is so very unusual. A 1930s Duofold in a regular pattern with a replacement nib, that looks like it needs replacing again.

Like so many near 90 year old pens, it has been through an amateur restorer who has just made things word as best they can from their parts box. A switch to a later 35 Newhaven nib could make this a useful pen.

Thanks for your reply, but I cannot see how it can be 1930s. As far as I can understand it, there were no American Duofolds after 1933 and in any case it does not resemble one. English ones commenced in 1946 and the cap on my pen looks like an English one, but once again the pen is too small compared with an English Duofold. Given the state of the Televisor-type pressure bar, it had been inside for a very long time indeed. Regarding a 35 Newhaven nib, no way would this fit - far too big. I have a nib from a Canadian Vac that might go in /

Cob

Edited by Cob

Thanks for your reply, but I cannot see how it can be 1930s. As far as I can understand it, there were no American Duofolds after 1933 and in any case it does not resemble one. English ones commenced in 1946 and the cap on my pen looks like an English one, but once again the pen is too small compared with an English Duofold. Given the state of the Televisor-type pressure bar, it had been inside for a very long time indeed. Regarding a 35 Newhaven nib, no way would this fit - far too big. I have a nib from a Canadian Vac that might go in /

Cob

UK Duofold manufacture started in 1941, your pattern is shown bottom right. left

We have had this small size UK Duofold in for repair, and have owned, a number of times. When the nibs have become unserviceable we fit UK NS nibs of whatever size best fits the section and cap.

Is everyone cranky in this Parker section or have I just bumped into the wrong place/person?

post-138039-0-78887100-1510504713.jpg

Edited by smiffy20000

So tell me, did yours also have Televisor pressure bars?

I may be eccentric; I am certainly not cranky

C.

Edited by Cob

Valentine began making Duofolds and Victories under contract for Parker in the mid-thirties. Parker began its own production at Newhaven with the Duofold NS in 1946. 1941 isn't the start date for anything.

Regards,

Eachan

Valentine began making Duofolds and Victories under contract for Parker in the mid-thirties. Parker began its own production at Newhaven with the Duofold NS in 1946. 1941 isn't the start date for anything.

To set the record straight, Page 261 of the Duofold book shows that Parkers of the size shown by the OP and in the plastic shown, were produced 1941-1944, you are right about the NS in 1946.

I am outahere.

So we have a pen composed of Canadian parts with an American Ladies Duofold nib that was produced around 1946-8 in a size that was never issued as a Duofold NS.

If it was a re engineered streamline it is an extreme case with a new cap, new nib, new section and pressure bar and shaved end of barrel to accept the new blind cap which is marginally narrower than the Junior Duofold. Respect...

Were the streamline sections friction fit, rather than threaded?

It's loopy!

I fitted a sac to it, only to discover that the pressure bar is too short. I am not sititng on a pile of Televisor pressure bars and as the section is a push fit I am stumped

More parts for the spares box and another dead loss I fear!

C.

Edited by Cob

If it didn't actually say "Duofold" on it, and I had just seen the first photo, I would have guessed that it was maybe a Challenger, because I have one in a similar color.

@ smiffy20000 -- Thanks for posting the link with the different barrel colors. I learn something new every time I log on here! :thumbup:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 1 year later...

Hello People,

Was just sanding on a NS Parker Duofold A/F. Under light it changes from black, to blue just before the blind cap and then the blind cap. Plus that awful camphor smell. what did they mix in that plastic. I would say circa 1947 could be earlier.

" The race is not to the swift nor the battle to the strong. But time and chance happens to them all. Evil falls suddenly. Who can say when it falls? "