The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Lamy Lx...?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 FlippyThePen

FlippyThePen

Tensai

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2017 - 14:05

Hi, folks.

It wasn't until recently that I discovered that Lamy came out with the LX.  What an attractive pen!  An upgraded Al-star sounds cool, but as far as I could tell, the pen is basically the same with the Al-star except for the added finishes plated with their respective namesake metals.  Do you think that adding the extra more exclusive metal plating (gold, palladium, etc) justifies the price for this pen?  

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of the truth

-Albert Einstein

Cheers before jeers!

-FlippyThePen

Sponsored Content

#2 Intensity

Intensity

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2017 - 23:09

Some online stores have the LX on sale for only a bit more than regular Al-Star.  MSRP difference is $23.  That difference constitutes the following:

- The nib is not just the standard Lamy black nib but has some matching accents and a breather hole, although the pen is compatible with standard Lamy Safari/Al-Star nibs. 

- The metal clip for the cap and the ends of the pen and cap have shiny matching metal finishes compared to the black or silver of normal Al-Star. 

- There's also a high quality anodized aluminum storage case, which normal Lamy Al-Star doesn't come with.  Personally I don't really care about the case and don't plan to use it, I care about the pen. You could argue that the case alone is worth $10-15.  I don't know if I'm in the minority, but I think if Lamy skipped the aluminum storage case and priced the total kit lower, it'd be more useful for the customers.

I got mine in Rose Gold because I love that color.  If you don't care about the case, or the different nib, or the LX color range, then Lamy Al-Star will do you just as well for a bit less.  Here's a comparative review done by someone else:

http://pendorasbox.c...vs-lamy-al-star

Edited by Intensity, 11 November 2017 - 23:14.

#3 Glenn-SC

Glenn-SC

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,636 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 23:35

Hi, folks.Do you think that adding the extra more exclusive metal plating (gold, palladium, etc) justifies the price for this pen?  

Only you can answer this question for you.

Whether other people think the price difference is justified for them is irrelevant.  

#4 bogiesan

bogiesan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2017 - 00:00

The Lamy USA online store has a 50% off sale on the LX series. That’s US$35/each. Not all nibs are available in all finishes. Sale includes the ballpoints and roller balls, too. ONly good through November 14, 2017.

https://www.lamyusa.com
I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

#5 Intensity

Intensity

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:07

Thank you for pointing that out!  I thought about getting another LX pen or two, but I really like my cheaper Kaweco Perkeo's #5 Fine nib feel (and feel in hand) more vs my Lamy LX with Fine nib writing experience, and I already have 2 Lamy pens for their italic nibs.  Happy with my Rose Gold LX + adjusted 1.1mm Lamy nib, however.  Great deal for someone who wants to try out a Lamy LX!

#6 Schadenfreude

Schadenfreude

Blank Starer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:19

This is what i have been thinking to decide lately. I wanted Lx, but kept thinking that it just looks like my al-star. If al-star has a nice color LE next year i can purchase it and also purchase the nib that Lamy Lx uses to put on my AL-Star.

So i decided to buy Lamy Aion instead.
People who know my name, dont know my work. People who know my work, dont know my name.

#7 FlippyThePen

FlippyThePen

Tensai

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:26

Whether other people think the price difference is justified for them is irrelevant.  

I beg to differ.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of the truth

-Albert Einstein

Cheers before jeers!

-FlippyThePen

#8 Astron

Astron

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2017 - 14:15

Materials are a bit more expensive, some new techniques used, not as high production number than the AL-Star. I guess that makes a part of the higher price. The rest is marketing the bling.

❦ You do not need glasses if you can't read this. Seriously. Who could read this?

#9 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2017 - 15:10

I beg to differ.

I feel the additional price of the LX is justified for me, but I don't know if you feel it is justified for you.  :)

flying-letter-exc.png

#10 Intensity

Intensity

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2017 - 17:25

I think what the OP was trying to say with his multiple posts in combination is whether there's an objective justification for the price.  Subjectively, of course, collectible and hobby things cost as much as someone is willing to pay for them, especially their resale value.  Considering the sale prices at on-line vendors, I think the LX is priced fairly given the extra aluminum case and the perhaps slightly more expensive finishes and different more complex design nib.

. . .

On an unrelated note, I really want a "Coffee" brown Lamy Al-Star :(  

Edited by Intensity, 12 November 2017 - 17:26.

#11 bogiesan

bogiesan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 963 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:10

The offer on LamyUSA was too good for me to pass up. Ordered two units. At $35 each and free shipping, thats roughly the same price as my existing AlStars except for the charged green which was purchased at a nice discount from Goulet. Note that Goulet has the LX models for $58.00, not the $70 list price.

Edited by bogiesan, 13 November 2017 - 03:13.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

#12 bogiesan

bogiesan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 963 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:17

Two LX models arrived today from the USA Lamy store. Theyre lovely colors, gold and gray, and the two-tone nib is sweet. The case is silly and superfluous. If theyd just made it big enough for two pens it would be practical. And cool. But, once youve removed the pen, the tubular case is useless; nicely made and fun to open and close, but useless. Totally.

The gold pen has a flashy gold nut on the top of the cap that is, umm, garish, chintzy, cheap looking. Like the gold colored C3PO action figure you got in 1982. But the rest of this gold AlStars body is quite fetching. Typical Lamy quality nib, writes great. If you have other AlStars or Safaris, the LX will feel right at home in your hand.

I would have liked to obtain the rose gold, too, but it was not available with the EF nib I prefer.

I encourage you folks to visit the USA Lamy store every once in a while. The selection is limited but they have a different bargain or promotion every week.

#13 Intensity

Intensity

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:55

Actually when I called customer service a couple of weeks ago, I was told the online store is closing, and whatever stock they have is the last, until it sells out, probably hence the big sales.  Rediform, Inc. runs the site, and they are the ones that stock and sell the Lamy goods in the USA for Lamy Germany.  They won't be doing it anymore once everything sells out.

#14 bogiesan

bogiesan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 963 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:56

Actually when I called customer service a couple of weeks ago, I was told the online store is closing, and whatever stock they have is the last, until it sells out, probably hence the big sales.  Rediform, Inc. runs the site, and they are the ones that stock and sell the Lamy goods in the USA for Lamy Germany.  They won't be doing it anymore once everything sells out.

Actually, good to know. So stop by often and check the likely-to-be-incredible deals.

#15 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,273 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 16:13

I keep looking at the LX models, but I'm like Flippy -- I'm not sure that the differences justify the higher MSRP.  On the other hand, the Ruthenium is a very nice color (nicer than the current colors of regular Safaris); it remains to be seen what next year's LE color(s) will be, and in my experience the edges of the triangular grip on the metal bodied pens are a little on the sharp side (that pesky German engineering  ;)).  So, if I see one in a B&M store I might try one out.  But I'm not going out of my way to buy one *just* yet....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Sponsored Content

|