Sailor Jentle Sky High Ink (Old) Review

sannidh

Sailor, as most of you are aware is one of the Big 3 companies in Japanese fountain pen industry. Apart from some great nibs, Sailor does manufacture some amazing inks. Probably, Sailor is the only Japanese company that has released many more variants of ink along the lines of store-speciality inks than under its own umbrella. The ink I am reviewing is the old Sailor Jentle Sky High Ink with product code (13-1000-241). It been one of my favourite blue inks, although I do have a bottle of similarly hued and a gentler newer Souten (13-1005-205).
Here goes the review. Below is a link to the review on my blog.
DSC00028.JPG

Bottle/Packaging

Sailor Sky High came in a 50 ml bottle and looked like the below one. It was packaged in white cardboard box with everything except brand and volume of ink, in Japanese :)
There is a plastic funnel insert to help fill your pen with ink, which in my humble opinion is equally useless, given the pan-like structure of the bottle.
SkyhighBottle.jpg

Writing with Sky High

The ink is a well behaved with absence of any noticeable feathering on most papers. Depending on the paper thickness there could be some ghosting in case you have used multiple layers of ink, else it a pretty much 'no worries' vibrant blue ink.
  • Feathering: None
  • Ghosting: A bit on Muji notebook
  • Color Variation: Great, Vibrant from light to dark azure shades
  • Sheen: Towards Violet & Red
  • Wetness: High-Medium-Low
DSC00030.jpg

DSC00029.JPG
  • Saturation : High-Medium-Low
  • Water Resistance: High-Medium-Low
  • Ease of Cleaning: Easy-Moderate-Difficult
  • Shading: High-Medium-Low
  • Flow: Good-Bad
  • Lubrication: Good-Bad
  • Drying Time: 30 seconds+
  • Water Resistance: High-Medium-Low
  • Price: High-Moderate-Low (Around $ 12 as landed price in 2014)
DSC00031.JPG
Digital Colour Meter
Dcolmeter1.jpg

Dcolmeter2.jpg
Nibs
DSC00032.JPG
Main Supplies
  • Pelikan M200 Cognac - Italic Nib
  • Muji B6 PP Cover Notebook, Dotted Paper
Thank you for going through my very first fountain pen ink review.
Edited by sannidh

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sannidh

• The Good Captain

• inkstainedruth

• catalyst

A great review of a great ink!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Thanks for the review.

I do like the old version of Sky High -- even if it *did* stain the brand new Pliglass sac on a Parker 51... :(. And say what you like, Souten is NOT the same. Close, but not close enough, IMO.

Anyone know how the reissued Sky High compares to the old version?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Nice Review! I got Sky High recently from Anderson and also Souten. They do seem like they could be slightly different, but I think the difference is negligible. One thing I like about both of these inks is how different they look with different pens/nibs. That makes a far greater difference between the two inks for me.

That's such a beautiful color! It's a shame it has almost no water resistance. :( Still, the shading is incredible! I do love Sailor inks.

A great review of a great ink!

Thank you Good Captain :)

Thanks for the review.

I do like the old version of Sky High -- even if it *did* stain the brand new Pliglass sac on a Parker 51... :(. And say what you like, Souten is NOT the same. Close, but not close enough, IMO.

Anyone know how the reissued Sky High compares to the old version?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I am curious to learn that too :)

Nice Review! I got Sky High recently from Anderson and also Souten. They do seem like they could be slightly different, but I think the difference is negligible. One thing I like about both of these inks is how different they look with different pens/nibs. That makes a far greater difference between the two inks for me.

Couldnt agree more. Mostly would take a broad nib + good paper to appreciate the differences. Thank you :)

That's such a beautiful color! It's a shame it has almost no water resistance. :( Still, the shading is incredible! I do love Sailor inks.

Thank you :)

Yet to test Souten's water resistance.

As far as I'm concerned, old Sky High, new Sky High and Souten are similar enough for me to not worry about which one I have. :)

Thanks Chrissy for all practical assurances, but you know :D

Adding a few more photos to the post taken indoor lighting & with outdoor sunshine

Hope it's useful to compare the hues at different angles for Sky High

Indoor Lighting

DSC00034.JPG

DSC00046.jpg

Outdoor Sunshine

DSC00047.jpg

Edited by sannidh