The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Cheapest Place To Buy A Lamy Nib?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Schadenfreude

Schadenfreude

Blank Starer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2017 - 00:08

Hi Jemerelbe

Yes i knew about the taxes and such, i just didnt expect it to be 14usd. I expected at least 8 - 10 usd.

Oh.....fedex.....i remember buying violin equipments from the usa: expensive and shipping fees....and long time waiting.....it's killing! Haha.
People who know my name, dont know my work. People who know my work, dont know my name.

Sponsored Content

#22 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2017 - 00:34

Hi Jemerelbe

Yes i knew about the taxes and such, i just didnt expect it to be 14usd. I expected at least 8 - 10 usd.

Oh.....fedex.....i remember buying violin equipments from the usa: expensive and shipping fees....and long time waiting.....it's killing! Haha.

I won't pretend to understand all the "on costs" associated with a German company selling its products in the USA (or Australia), or vice versa - but the local distributors tend to set the prices, and the mark-ups they put on some parts or products can be pretty steep!

#23 Intensity

Intensity

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:00

So I bought a few nibs from the UK (authorized vendor, of course), which--including international delivery to the USA--are still cheaper than it would have been to buy them here...  I just don't get the price disparity on nibs between Europe and USA.  Full pen prices seem more on par.

#24 Needhelp

Needhelp

Im a cute cactus!!!!!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2017 - 04:26

The reason why i am ok in buying from uk retailers is that in Kuwait youndont have to pay any and i mean any tax for anything. But the US retailers shipping itself is like 30 to 40 dollars and thats just toooo high.

#25 Needhelp

Needhelp

Im a cute cactus!!!!!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2017 - 04:37

............and isnt it better to support the smaller privately businesses who support the hobby, even if that means paying a little more

Unfortunately I am not like you with a lot money to spend on anything Iwant because I am only 15 years old and I am dependant on my parents so if they agree then only I can buy what I want and they dont understand these 'fountain pen stuff' so its difficult for me to buy a fountain pen . Even a bottle of ink or good quality paper. I wasrejected my first Rhodia book because my father said why a notebook this expensive just use the notebooks you have. And i cant argue with my father on that.When some people say oh I bought this fountain pen and it is so good that i bought four more. That line alway just makes me sad.
But the worst thing about living here is that there are no authorised fountain pen sellers near me. Only some stationary shops hat stock parker vectors and thats all.
From the above is the MAIN reason I cant buy vintage fountain pens otherwise there would have been a Parker 51 on my desk.
Andothers when i stritle say no vintage fountain pens when I asked for some recommendations on a next fountain pen the STILL sad go vintage go vintage is good.

#26 Needhelp

Needhelp

Im a cute cactus!!!!!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2017 - 04:41

So I bought a few nibs from the UK (authorized vendor, of course), which--including international delivery to the USA--are still cheaper than it would have been to buy them here...  I just don't get the price disparity on nibs between Europe and USA.  Full pen prices seem more on par.

I think he main reason for the price difference in lamy nibs is that lamy is based in germany so it is much closer to uk or it is in europe so they dont have to pay too much for the import cost hence the low price while lamy usa gets their nibs from germany and shipping from germany to us adds to the cost hence the higher price.

#27 Schadenfreude

Schadenfreude

Blank Starer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2017 - 00:04

Unfortunately I am not like you with a lot money to spend on anything Iwant because I am only 15 years old and I am dependant on my parents so if they agree then only I can buy what I want and they dont understand these 'fountain pen stuff' so its difficult for me to buy a fountain pen . Even a bottle of ink or good quality paper. I wasrejected my first Rhodia book because my father said why a notebook this expensive just use the notebooks you have. And i cant argue with my father on that.When some people say oh I bought this fountain pen and it is so good that i bought four more. That line alway just makes me sad.
But the worst thing about living here is that there are no authorised fountain pen sellers near me. Only some stationary shops hat stock parker vectors and thats all.
From the above is the MAIN reason I cant buy vintage fountain pens otherwise there would have been a Parker 51 on my desk.
Andothers when i stritle say no vintage fountain pens when I asked for some recommendations on a next fountain pen the STILL sad go vintage go vintage is good.

And also keep in mind that not everyone here knows your age.

I add:

Maybe here is one good trick: from your post i am thinking that your dad is not a fountain pen user. If he is not, then try to persuade him into using a fountain pen. Once he likes it i think he will understand why you want a Rhodia. And.....you may get a fountain pen or its equipments for your birthday ;)

Edited by Schadenfreude, 18 November 2017 - 00:16.

People who know my name, dont know my work. People who know my work, dont know my name.

#28 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2017 - 00:22

I think he main reason for the price difference in lamy nibs is that lamy is based in germany so it is much closer to uk or it is in europe so they dont have to pay too much for the import cost hence the low price while lamy usa gets their nibs from germany and shipping from germany to us adds to the cost hence the higher price.

I'm sure that's a big part of the difference.  Also, Lamy will rely on a distribution chain to ship its pens worldwide, and the local distributors (in the destination country) plus the retailers all need / want to take their cut.  I don't understand all the ins and outs of this, but some brands will mark up their prices before on-selling to overseas distributors, and some distributors will "price gouge" if they think they can get away with it.  All of that is ON TOP of adjusting costs to 'buffer' against currency fluctuations, the imposition of international customs charges, sales taxes, and shipping costs - and it all adds up.  When you or I, on the other hand, place an order with a local German (or UK or other international) retailer, we're often able to avoid all of those mark-ups.  

#29 Safari_Camo

Safari_Camo

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:50

@Jamerelbe  It's totally true, purchasing stuff from USA is so expensive, I can't purchase nothing from Amazon because the shipping is exorbitant, in the other hand, purchasing from Europe (includes classic shaving items) are very reasonable to buy from other places than USA, I'm farther from Europe but it costs less to get from them.

Sponsored Content

|