Vanishing Point

Charles Skinner

I have had my new Pilot Vanishing Point for awhile now, and I like it, and am glad I bought it. However, I believe that my "penmanship" is not as good when using it as when using my MB 146, for example. Could be a number of reasons, I guess. I have to hold it is just a little differently. There could be something different about the nib that I can not see. It could just be the ink I am using in it, Sailor Yama Dori. Have you noticed a difference in your handwriting? C. S.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• MSA

• mitto

Have you maybe changed your grip to accommodate the clip?

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

When I write with a Pilot Penmanship, I find it very difficult to write in print, and almost compelled to write in my best cursive - no idea why. Most of my other pens, I can go either way. I like printing with my Sailor Pro Gear Slim, with Sei Boku, because it shows off the shading so nicely. So I think it's not unusual for a pen to influence your handwriting, and even an ink. For example, I sort of like Akkerman Oranje Boven, even though I don't particularly like orange, but it's too saturated for shading, so I usually just scrawl in a mix of cursive and print.

I usually use my VP only for quick notes in my bullet journal, so I'm not sure how it does / doesn't change my handwriting - I'll try to use it today for some other purpose and see what happens. :)

Nope. Mine stinks no matter what fountain pen I use. Better than with a ballpoint, but still not good.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I write often with extra fine nibs and the Pilot VP is really really fine so it does seem to make my handwriting look skritchier.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I have noticed no significant differences in handwriting between that done with my VP F and that done with my other FPs. Other folk's mileage may / will vary.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

My VPs are actually among the pens I enjoy writing with. They sit comfortably in my hand and most nibs, although on the dry side, have a satisfactory flow. Either for short, intermittent notes or whole pages, the VPs are among my favourite pens.

I usually use my VP only for quick notes in my bullet journal, so I'm not sure how it does / doesn't change my handwriting - I'll try to use it today for some other purpose and see what happens. :)

OK, finally used by VP for some regular writing, and no, it doesn't alter my handwriting in any way - print or cursive, I'm comfortable using it either way. But then I use a regular tripod grip. If you don't, it seems like a given that it would change your handwriting.

The only pens I notice a difference, for some reason, is with my Sailors - I seem to be able to write more precisely - and most of my Sheaffers, where the balance is just so perfect.

With my VPs and my Fermo and my Decimo, I am like Ron - just lousy writing...

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

Various pens have various effects on my handwriting... Some great some not so great. I have enough pens that I could do an entire study on it...

I also write better with my thicker grip pens such as MB LeGrand and GvFC Intuition Platino. I find when I use skinny pen grips as well as my Pilot VP, my penmanship isn't the best. With the VP, it's due to the way I have to hold the pen because of the clip design. I do love the simple click of the VP though.

I use my VP's with fine nibs for taking notes at work. I write really small and in capital letters. I really enjoy its convenience and heft. I don't have any problems with the clip, the way I grip.

My father had the older versions of capless in the 60's and 70's - so I was familiar with them as growing up and now have half a dozen of my own. Mostly the recent brass ones and older faceted ones. I still need to find the late 1960's version.

My reliance on VP's has come to such an extent, that sometimes I wonder ...do I really need the other 150 odd pens in my collection. Except for some heirlooms...that is.

Other than the VP's I find the Parker 51's, 45's and Sheaffer Diamond shaped inlaid points as most comfortable writers. This is probably because I used these pens in school during school and college.

Mohammad Salahuddin Ayubi

My reliance on VP's has come to such an extent, that sometimes I wonder ...do I really need the other 150 odd pens in my collection. Except for some heirlooms...that is.

Other than the VP's I find the Parker 51's, 45's and Sheaffer Diamond shaped inlaid points as most comfortable writers. This is probably because I used these pens in school during school and college.

Salahuddin bhai, I love the VPs but from a different brand. :) You know what? The Very Personal pens - the Parker VPs.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

I have found the same to be true with my VP. Not sure why but my handwriting come out more sloppy than if I use a different pen. I think it might have to do with the clip altering the grip just a little.

Comfort in holding a pen as well as getting proper grip/leverage on it for better control determines how well you can write with it to make clear and consistent fine detail. A nib makes a difference as well: how easily it glides across the paper, or whether it's scratchy, or uneven in some way. A pen + ink combo that results in comfortable near-frictionless writing experience will result in different handwriting than one that's more difficult to control and has dry ink flow (or any combination of the aforementioned).

I find that it's easy to make my handwriting look subjectively better with italics and stub nibs, so I consider them a bit of "cheating". Lately I've been forcing myself to write with round-point nibs and write more slowly, focusing on control and consistency, and it's been paying off. I no longer look at my handwriting made with a fine point nib and cringe. After that, stubs and italics are the icing on the cake.

(My fast scribbles are still horrid, however, and they are next on my list of improvements to work on. I can only write quickly in cursive longhand, which is probably not the best combination.)

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.”