Parker Quink Solv-X Acquisition

mobinh

I just found a rather large cache, about 7 bottles, of Quink with Solv-x in a stationery shop. It's the white packaging. I was in a hurry so could only do a cursory check. There seems to minimum evaporation if any. No sludge, deposits etc. at the bottom.

Should I buy the lot? Are the colors better than Quink's current lineup?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobinh

• mhguda

• ParkerDuofold

• Tas

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just found a rather large cache, about 7 bottles, of Quink with Solv-x in a stationery shop. It's the white packaging. I was in a hurry so could only do a cursory check. There seems to minimum evaporation if any. No sludge, deposits etc. at the bottom.

Should I buy the lot? Are the colors better than Quink's current lineup?

Hi Mobinh,

Buy 'em, right now!

You're not buying the colors; you're buying the Solv-X. ;)

I have an old bottle of Quink blue-black with SX and it's great stuff. :thumbup:

- Anthony

You're not buying the colors; you're buying the Solv-X. ;)

Thanks, Anthony. So apart from writing with it, should it be run through the pens to, what... maintain the innards? Are the colors more saturated, more sheen, shading?

Thanks, Anthony. So apart from writing with it, should it be run through the pens to, what... maintain the innards? Are the colors more saturated, more sheen, shading?

Hi, again, Mobinh,

I guess I should explain a little... Solv-X has sort of a cult following here. It was a chemical additive, (that has since been banned in the U.S. and most of Europe), that was designed to "clean your pen as you write."

The purpose being less required flushing, etc. It is also supposed to improve flow and because it also contains a "healthy" amount of phenol, it never goes bad.

I can only speak for the blue-black; I'm not familiar with the other colors, but it does have a deeper tone that the new stuff and it DOES NOT shift to teal... which is a pet peeve for a lot of us.

Shading? I'm not sure... it's been so long since I used the new stuff, I'm not sure how they compare. :unsure:

- Anthony

I've still got a bottle of blue Quink with solv-x from the days when I wrote with a fountainpen. Before I was lost during some decades (found my way back round the milleniumshift). There's 1/3 left and I only use it when I have stainingproblems with other inks. Hope this 1/3 will sufice.

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

Congrats on the great find "in the wild". One thing I've found with vintage inks is that the colors do not always age consistently, especially when it comes to black. You might find that all seven bottles are perfect and have great color, but you might also find that some have shifted to a more red, brown or green tint. It sounds like these are unopened and in great condition, so this is probably something you won't have to worry about, but I wanted to give you a heads up if you open up a bottle and don't see the color you expect to see. Enjoy!

I've got a blog!

Fountain Pen Love

So I went back today to the shop. Unfortunately, I was a bit mistaken in my initial perusal. They were all red, the inks. So, I just bought a couple of bottles since I figured they're not going anywhere in a hurry and, also, that I will be able to find a wider variety of colors in the Quink SOLV-x line at another central stationery market here.

The ink really does flow very very well. The color... it's really too early to tell but seems a better shade than some stock reds I've seen. I'll keep you folks updated with my quest.

post-139416-0-11883500-1510413845_thumb.jpg

post-139416-0-14867100-1510413861_thumb.jpg

post-139416-0-11700800-1510413872_thumb.jpg

The only Quink I have with solv-x in it is Blue. It's not a great blue either. It started off quite watery like current Quink inks. However, after I left the cap off for a week or so, it's a bit more concentrated now, and is more like Parker Penman Sapphire than Quink Blue. :)

Hi mobinh,

I once found a stash like that here, but blue and black bottles. I bought them all, sight unseen, even though I was pretty certain I'd have no competition for them. I got them for an excellent price, too. Some were a bit thickened because of evaporation, but I added water before using and they're fine.

You might still go back and get those reds. You can add another color to (part of ) your red bottle and have another ink with solv-x! Colors to add that come to mind: blue, black, green... sky's the limit, really. Quink is, in my experience, very mixable.

Enjoy!

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

The only Quink I have with solv-x in it is Blue. It's not a great blue either. It started off quite watery like current Quink inks. However, after I left the cap off for a week or so, it's a bit more concentrated now, and is more like Parker Penman Sapphire than Quink Blue. :)

I once found a stash like that here, but blue and black bottles. I bought them all, sight unseen, even though I was pretty certain I'd have no competition for them. I got them for an excellent price, too. Some were a bit thickened because of evaporation, but I added water before using and they're fine.

You might still go back and get those reds. You can add another color to (part of ) your red bottle and have another ink with solv-x! Colors to add that come to mind: blue, black, green... sky's the limit, really. Quink is, in my experience, very mixable.

You know, I do experiment a bit to get my perfect greens, browns, purples and violets. I read up on Platinum's mixable inks and I thought: Here's another gimmick to make a quick buck, right? On top of the proprietary cartridges etc. And then I found out it made sense.The thing is that some of my mixes, especially, ironically, where I get the mix just right, are too watery and need to sit in the pen for a day or two before they felt like a proper blend.

Having read Chrissy's comment, I have just taken the caps off of three of my watery mixes and intend to leave them open with a paper towel on top for a few days. I'm sure the mix will improve.

Also, mhguda, thanks for the tip. I think I will do some mixes with the red Quink Solv-x. I'm sure it'll blend very well.

I think I'll go back, get the entire stock. The bottles did just cost me $1.90/piece.

Good for you. At that price, should be no big deal, and I'm sure you'll find a way to enjoy them. In fact I am looking forward to seeing some innovative mixes based on Quink red with solv-x here, soon... :)

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi