Faber Castell School Pen

MuddyWaters

The neat thing about Faber Castell is that you can get the same nib in a Loom that you would in their $100 models. What about this School pen though? It's listed under $10 CAD. I wonder if it has the same nib as the Loom as well. That would be nuts!

Any thoughts?

I can't seem to find review videos of it yet.

https://www.wonderpens.ca/Faber_Castell_School_Fountain_Pen_Carbon_Black_p/g149809.htm

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MuddyWaters

• jekostas

• inotrym

• dapprman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, I bought this pen earlier this year in the UK, it's a very lightweight, plastic school-type pen, @13g, but the nib is a very smooth medium writer.

The nib is very curved downwards for some reason, see my photo.

I can't say if it has the same qualities as the 'Loom', as I don't have one, but I would say it's a good value for money pen. It takes international cartridges.

post-70376-0-52735200-1510312500.jpg

Edited by Mike 59

Zooming in on the photos, it looks like the same steel nib without a breather hole and the perforated pattern on the nib.

The usual Loom nib actually doesn't have a breather hole in it either unless I am wrong.

Hi, I bought this pen earlier this year in the UK, it's a very lightweight, plastic school-type pen, @13g, but the nib is a very smooth medium writer.

The nib is very curved downwards for some reason, see my photo.

I can't say if it has the same qualities as the 'Loom', as I don't have one, but I would say it's a good value for money pen. It takes international cartridges.

Very nice! I may be able to get one tomorrow so I cannot wait!

School pens, in my experience, tend to be very good writers and take a fair bit of abuse. I personally like them for everyday, knock-about, use.

Looks a little like the Kakuno.

Can't tell if it's the same nib as the Loom/Ambition etc, but if it is, then I might just get one just to have a B nib.

(PS. Indeed, F-C steel nibs don't have breather holes. I always liked that about them.)

Looks a little like the Kakuno.

Can't tell if it's the same nib as the Loom/Ambition etc, but if it is, then I might just get one just to have a B nib.

(PS. Indeed, F-C steel nibs don't have breather holes. I always liked that about them.)

The nib/feed from the School pen is different from the nib/feed used in the Basic/Loom/Ambition etc. and they're not interchangeable. Perfectly serviceable nib on it's own, though.

HSEh3M8.jpg

School pen nib is on the right.

my girlfriend tried this pen and she was not impressed. i asked her to buy it for me and she said it wasn't even worth it at $10. I will have to try it myself when I go get a Loom

The writing performance between the School Pen and the Loom are very different. The School Pen that I tried writes very dry, and it's definitely not the same level of smoothness as the Loom.

Selling part of my pen and ink collection: https://alwayssunnyalwaysreal.wordpress.com/for-sale/

Aurora Optima Mare | Diplomat Aero (SOLD) | Diplomat Excellence A Skyline (SOLD) | Faber-Castell E-Motion Pure Black (SOLD) | Franklin-Christoph Model 20 Translucent Bronze (SOLD) | Franklin-Christoph Pocket 66 Antique Glass (SOLD)

Graf von Faber-Castell Classic Grenadilla (SOLD) | Graf von Faber-Castell Tamitio Black/Rosé (SOLD) | Karas Kustoms Ink Red Aluminum (SOLD) | Lamy 2000 (SOLD) | Lamy AL-star CopperOrange | Lamy Scala Dark Violet | Lamy Scala Glacier | Montegrappa Fortuna Mosaico Marrakech (SOLD) | Omas Ogiva Alba Green

Parker IM Midnight Astral | Pelikan Classic M120 Iconic Blue | Pelikan Classic M200 Demonstrator | Pelikan Classic M200 Green-Marbled (SOLD) | Pelikan Classic M205 Blue-Marbled (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M400 Black-Green/Black-Red/Tortoiseshell-White (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M400 Tortsoiseshell-White | Pelikan Souverän M405 Black-Blue-Silver (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M600 Violet-White | Pelikan Souverän M605 Solid Dark Blue | Pelikan Souverän M805 Stresemann (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M1000 Black-Green (SOLD) | Pilot Falcon Black/Rhodium (SOLD)

Pilot Vanishing Point Blue Carbonesque (SOLD) | Platinum 3776 Century Nice Pur | Sailor 1911L Anchor Gray/Fresca Blue/Key Lime/Royal Tangerine/Stormy Sea (SOLD) | Sailor 1911S Color Blue (SOLD) | Sailor Professional Gear Slim Four Seasons Yukitsubaki Snow Camellia (SOLD) | TWSBI ECO Transparent Green | TWSBI ECO Transparent Yellow | TWSBI Diamond 580AL Blue/Lava Orange (SOLD) | TWSBI Vac 700 (SOLD) | Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Midi (SOLD) | Visconti Van Gogh Sunflowers (SOLD) | Waterman Carène Ombres et Lumières | AND MORE!