The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Conid Question

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,377 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 19:19

Are these permanent stains or can it be wiped off like some Noodlers inks?

Delrin might be calling my name.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

Sponsored Content

#22 da vinci

da vinci

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 22:34

Is their acrylic susceptible to staining(I assume CONID doesn't use a process to make it extra stain-resistant like TWSBI)?  Can a delrin Minimalistica be given an ink window?

I should add that mine hasn't stained although I have been very careful. I am more paranoid than most after Pelikan Topaz stained the ink window of a Pelikan I loved.

#23 Doug C

Doug C

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 23:37

I have to disagree. I have a slimline and the only thing I dislike is the slippery delrin section. My minimalistica has the acrylic body and it much easier to hold on to.
the Danitrio Fellowship

#24 Lloyd

Lloyd

• Member - Gold

• 6,377 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 23:50

Thanks for that input, Doug! I've read others state the same opinion.
Have you experienced any permanent staining, Doug?

Edited by Lloyd, 12 November 2017 - 23:55.

Oscar Wilde

#25 Doug C

Doug C

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,513 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:50

None at all. The slimline also has the demo body (I just have to see that mechanism in action) and I have yet to see anything.
And..I hate to admit this but I am not always fastidious about every last drop out when I flush a pen.The slimline is about 2 years old and the minimalistica is about 2 months.

Edited by Doug C, 13 November 2017 - 02:53.

the Danitrio Fellowship

#26 Lloyd

Lloyd

• Member - Gold

• 6,377 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:18

Thanks again, Doug. What's your opinion on this pen (my original question in this thread) :is this a fantastic writing pen even factoring out the novel filling system?
Oscar Wilde

#27 errantmarginalia

errantmarginalia

Généalogue

• Member - Gold

• 2,465 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:33

Are these permanent stains or can it be wiped off like some Noodlers inks?
Delrin might be calling my name.

I had to run a fill of Sailor Doyou through to clean out the stains (the ink was Akkerman Blauw). Scrubbing did nothing. But that’s the only ink that’s really stained any of my Conids.

#28 Lloyd

Lloyd

• Member - Gold

• 6,377 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 14:03

Sailor Doyou removed the stains?
Oscar Wilde

#29 Mew

Mew

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 16:16

Is their acrylic susceptible to staining(I assume CONID doesn't use a process to make it extra stain-resistant like TWSBI)?  Can a delrin Minimalistica be given an ink window?

Yes, it will stain depending upon the ink you use. Saturated inks would stain the barrel, which is why I don't have a Demonstrator kingsize. Though you can remove the stains using the Sailor Do-you ink gylyf mentioned above, but when almost every ink that I have would do that do an extent, doesn't make much sense to get the pen. I'm waiting for them to release something in interesting material.

#30 Lloyd

Lloyd

• Member - Gold

• 6,377 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 17:35

I'm waiting for them to release something in interesting material.

Did you consider the FPN Kingsize CONID?

Oscar Wilde

#31 Mew

Mew

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,122 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 18:57

Did you consider the FPN Kingsize CONID?

Yes, I did. I don't like those yellow streaks and all the pens I have seen have those.
Demonstrator - don't like.
Black ebonite - don't want another black pen
AntwerpPen - not the kind of red I like.
Gentleman pen - looks great, probably won't get another opportunity to get a Conid with gold nib and matching trims, but that is another black pen. Material is Derlin (that's what the winner bidder of GMP - #1 told me).
FPN Blue Pearl - don't like those yellow streaks and all the pens I have seen has those.

Only option I can see is to wait for future LE/SE. Even then I can't be sure whether they would release something that I like.

#32 Doug C

Doug C

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,513 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 22:12

Thanks again, Doug. What's your opinion on this pen (my original question in this thread) :is this a fantastic writing pen even factoring out the novel filling system?

Yes.   Conid seem to know how to tune a pen.  Neither of mine have any issues.  I do think the larger pens might be a little much for me weight wise, and I don't know how many people post them.  I will some times post the Min, but not the slimline.  Here is one little gripe.  It is very though to post the Sl with the o rings. It takes a bit of pressure.

the Danitrio Fellowship

#33 Mew

Mew

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,122 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 22:28

Yes.   Conid seem to know how to tune a pen.  Neither of mine have any issues.  I do think the larger pens might be a little much for me weight wise, and I don't know how many people post them.  I will some times post the Min, but not the slimline.  Here is one little gripe.  It is very though to post the Sl with the o rings. It takes a bit of pressure.

It's really comfortable and you don't feel the weight. Well balanced. I will always buy a kingsize.
And yes, their nib tuning is great. The nib I have on my kingsize is the smoothest nib I own.

#34 cmenice

cmenice

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 912 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2017 - 22:50

Yes, I did. I don't like those yellow streaks and all the pens I have seen have those.
Demonstrator - don't like.
Black ebonite - don't want another black pen
AntwerpPen - not the kind of red I like.
Gentleman pen - looks great, probably won't get another opportunity to get a Conid with gold nib and matching trims, but that is another black pen. Material is Derlin (that's what the winner bidder of GMP - #1 told me).
FPN Blue Pearl - don't like those yellow streaks and all the pens I have seen has those.

Only option I can see is to wait for future LE/SE. Even then I can't be sure whether they would release something that I like.

Also there is the Fontoplumo Orange Monarch in Kingsize and its ebonite. I like mine quite a bit.

#35 oldrifleman

oldrifleman

Extremely Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2017 - 23:01

I have one Kingsize and 3 Regulars. The KingSize is not my favorite (obviously) but it has grown on me. THe Regular is just right for me and I have large hands. I will say that the Gold nib that I received on my KingSize was not my favorite, but the Titanium nibs and the stainless nib that came on my regular Antwerppen are all superb.

#36 Lloyd

Lloyd

• Member - Gold

• 6,377 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 23:28

As I like (very) wide grips (MB149, Danitrio Takumi,...) but don't want to go too long, I'm leaning towards the Minimalistica.  I want the steel nib as I'm into stiffer nibs at the moment.  However, I'm not sure what material to go with...It sounds like the acrylic is stain-prone for vivid ink users and the delrin is slippery.

I wonder if the polished delrin would lose its slipperiness if scotchbrite were used to create a matte finish.  Obviously, the o-ring would need to still seal the cap airtight.

Edited by Lloyd, 13 November 2017 - 23:30.

Oscar Wilde

#37 Mew

Mew

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,122 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:30

Also there is the Fontoplumo Orange Monarch in Kingsize and its ebonite. I like mine quite a bit.

That's what I have. :)

#38 fountainbel

fountainbel

fountainbel

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,852 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:12

As I like (very) wide grips (MB149, Danitrio Takumi,...) but don't want to go too long, I'm leaning towards the Minimalistica.  I want the steel nib as I'm into stiffer nibs at the moment.  However, I'm not sure what material to go with...It sounds like the acrylic is stain-prone for vivid ink users and the delrin is slippery.

I wonder if the polished delrin would lose its slipperiness if scotchbrite were used to create a matte finish.  Obviously, the o-ring would need to still seal the cap airtight.

Hi Lloyd,

The delrin Minimalistica is effectively roughened with scotchbrite, but  - just as on the Lamy 2000 - the roughness may gradually get less over time. Brushing with scothbrite will however restore the original surface structure, no problem for the cap holding O Ring pretension.

Francis

#39 Lloyd

Lloyd

• Member - Gold

• 6,377 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 17:35

Thanks, Francis!

Oscar Wilde

#40 sketchstack

sketchstack

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 17:57

I have a number of Conid and I bought the Minimalistica mostly as a curiosity --turns out I really like it. Far more so than the Regular. 

As far as material slipperiness, I find Delrin and acrylic to be pretty much a tie. However my major qualm with the Regular comfort is the narrow, tapered section. So it's the section shape as well as the material. My fingers are always slipping and settling in that narrow point of the Regular section which I personally find uncomfortable. (Quite possible others won't mind this.)

Whereas the Minimalistica is essentially convex. So there's no narrow section issues there. I find the Minimalistica to be quite a nice size overall. 

Buying advice: 

1) Get the clip. I didn't and I regret it. It's my only clipless pen and I'll never get used to it rolling around on the table. 

2) Pay extra for the Conid tool. So you can easily clean and re-grease the piston. 

3) Buy all the steel #6 nibs. They're about $9 each so you're not breaking the bank. That way when you get the pen there's less of a possibility of line-width disappointment because you'll have F, M and B at your disposal. Titanium and gold can be purchased later if you want to keep costs down. Or maybe steel is all the nib you'll ever need. I find Bock nibs to be pretty good. 

Edited by sketchstack, 18 November 2017 - 17:57.

I like to write or make short videos about my fountain pens such as the Conid Bulkfiller or Pilot Urushi 845 BB:

SketchStack.com

Sponsored Content

|