The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

New Lamy Dialog 3 - 50% Off

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 TheRealMikeDr

TheRealMikeDr

The Great Schnauzer King

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 20:48

Bought a new Dialog 3 for $192.50 (FREE Shipping) from the old US Distributor of Lamy (at least that's my understanding) - www.lamyusa.com. Seems they're trying to get rid of inventory.

The colors are limited.

No affiliation - just passing along the good news should anyone be in the market for one.

Enjoy!

Note - they have Safari's at 50% off as well!

Edited by TheRealMikeDr, 08 November 2017 - 20:49.

Sponsored Content

#2 gryphon1911

gryphon1911

Stub Nib Addict!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2017 - 20:52

Only fine and extra fine nibs...alas...not for me.  :(

Thanks for the heads up, though.  Good find!!

#3 TheRealMikeDr

TheRealMikeDr

The Great Schnauzer King

• Member - Gold

• 999 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 20:56

Only fine and extra fine nibs...alas...not for me.   :(

Thanks for the heads up, though.  Good find!!

Ah - I didn't look at the nib options since I ordered the fine. Mine writes very nicely!!

#4 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,415 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2017 - 21:14

Good thing the nibs are so easy to find.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#5 tadawdy

tadawdy

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:31

I got one at that same price. At $400, I wasn't tempted. 

I have to say, the writing experience far exceeds my expectations. Yeah, the nib is just a gold version of the Safari nib, but my F writes amazingly well.

#6 ErrantSmudge

ErrantSmudge

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:13

Thanks for the tip.  I've ordered one (piano white with fine nib) and I'm looking forward to seeing how it writes.

#7 owenj

owenj

Extremely Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2017 - 00:36

Thanks for the tip.  I've ordered one (piano white with fine nib) and I'm looking forward to seeing how it writes.

Same :lol:

#8 ErrantSmudge

ErrantSmudge

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2017 - 16:25

My Dialog arrived yesterday.  The pen arrived in an enormous presentation box, with all the accessories intact.

The pen looks and writes wonderfully, but there is one small problem.  The nib is a bit loose, and it wiggles on the feed as I write.  It doesn't affect the way the pen writes, but it is annoying to see on a pen at this price point.

For other people who took advantage of this deal - how secure is the nib on your Dialog?

Edited by ErrantSmudge, 14 November 2017 - 16:25.

#9 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,415 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2017 - 17:19

You might not be comfortable doing it yourself, but you can squeeze the back end of the nib in a bit with some pliers covered in tape so not to scratch, and this will make the nib tighter on the feed.  Or you can send it to Lamy warranty service.  They're great.  They'll sort you right out.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#10 ErrantSmudge

ErrantSmudge

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 November 2017 - 17:36

You might not be comfortable doing it yourself, but you can squeeze the back end of the nib in a bit with some pliers covered in tape so not to scratch, and this will make the nib tighter on the feed.  Or you can send it to Lamy warranty service.  They're great.  They'll sort you right out.

Thanks.  I haven't yet decided if I want to try this adjustment myself.  But after one day using the pen at work, I've really taken a liking to this pen so I'll get it sorted out one way or another. 

The twist action is much more convenient than dealing with a cap in quick note-taking situations. Though the pen is weighty with more weight near the nib end, it feels well-balanced in the hand when writing.  The piano white design looks like it belongs with the Apple computer on my desk.

Edited by ErrantSmudge, 15 November 2017 - 17:36.

#11 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,415 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 November 2017 - 18:43

Yeah the Dialog is one of my favorite pens of all time.  I got mine in a trade a few years back, hated it b/c it didn't work.  The mechanism didn't work most of the time, and when it did open, the nib would push back in the barrel b/c it wasn't locked.  I sent it back to Lamy, explained to them that I got it used, that I messed with it, and that I'd be happy to pay for new parts.  It still only cost $9.  :)

#12 DasKaltblut

DasKaltblut

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:05

My Dialog arrived yesterday.  The pen arrived in an enormous presentation box, with all the accessories intact.

The pen looks and writes wonderfully, but there is one small problem.  The nib is a bit loose, and it wiggles on the feed as I write.  It doesn't affect the way the pen writes, but it is annoying to see on a pen at this price point.

For other people who took advantage of this deal - how secure is the nib on your Dialog?

I got one too, the same, white, fine, - I've been lusting after this every since seeing it in Germany many years ago and I love white. We'll see if my nib is loose too.

#13 TheRealMikeDr

TheRealMikeDr

The Great Schnauzer King

• Member - Gold

• 999 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 11:12

No problems with the nib on mine - doesn't move at all. The pen writes wonderfully.

#14 DasKaltblut

DasKaltblut

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:23

Got mine - no loose nib. My goodness the box is HUGE!

#15 bromfieldpenshop

bromfieldpenshop

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2017 - 15:20

I got one at that same price. At $400, I wasn't tempted. 

I have to say, the writing experience far exceeds my expectations. Yeah, the nib is just a gold version of the Safari nib, but my F writes amazingly well.

#16 bromfieldpenshop

bromfieldpenshop

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2017 - 15:22

What's wrong with it being a gold version of the Safari nib? It's been a very successful nib AND feed set up for a long time. You did good :-)

#17 ErrantSmudge

ErrantSmudge

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2017 - 16:50

No problems with the nib on mine - doesn't move at all. The pen writes wonderfully.

Got mine - no loose nib. My goodness the box is HUGE!

Thanks for the feedback - it just looks like I was unlucky on the draw.  

I have a spare steel Lamy nib I can practice nib tightening on, but I am still concerned about knocking the tines out of alignment while tightening the nib.   I don't really want to learn nib tuning on this pen.

I have sent an email to Lamy asking about warranty service, we'll see what they say.  Or I can wait and take it to a pen show and have someone tweak it for me.

#18 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,415 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 November 2017 - 17:15

Lamy will do it for $9.  At a show it'll probably run $45 or more.  You could probably get away with just sending the nib unit and nib to them.  I don't see why they need the whole pen.  

Sponsored Content

|