New Pelikan M200 Brown-Marble Fountain Pen

Fritz Schimpf

I got an email Dec 8 that mine had shipped. Tracking shows at Post NL on that date, Dec 9 ready for international transport, and nothing after that. So it looks like I have the fun of international post from the Netherlands this holiday season. I think twice bitten and I shall not order there this time of year again.

I got that email a couple days before you and have seen no movement on the tracking since Dec 5 on either the NL tracking site or the USPS site. I've come to the same conclusion but I'm seriously pondering not making any more pre-orders either, at any time of the year.

Edited to add: Just to be clear, this was my pre-order for the 605 and the 805, not the Brown Marble... that one I ordered normally from Niche and it has been here for days, as the photo on the last page will attest.

Edited by BillH

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• jkingrph

• Runnin_Ute

• BillH

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Update, just checked USPS tracking and it processed through Chicago this morning, I had signed up for updates and nothing has come across from that, I just went and entered tracking number. If I click on tracking link from LCdeC it shows as in sorting center abroad, which I suppose is a means of saying it had left the Netherlands.

Regards

Jeff

Just checked tracking again. It's still hung up in no-go chicago. Strange thing I won a rolled gold Pelikan 30 pen pencil set from a seller in Croatia. It was shipped the same day, went through New York and Dallas, and is scheduled for delivery today.

Regards

Jeff

Last scan in Santa Clarita CA on 12/15.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Appelboom is the place to get stuff from. 3days by FedEx to China (where I am currently relocated) and excellent aftersales service.

Had a Pelikan nib with very slight baby's bottom. I refused to correct it myself or send to a nib technician. Emailed them, no questions asked and a replacement was sent immediately. Impeccable.

Edited by minddance

Thanks for the tally - so, we have packages from EU to US sent to processing facilities in

Chicago, New York, and LA. I live in San Diego now and my pen went airmail Frankfurt to NY, then snail mail from NY to LA, where it languished for a week before being dispatched to SD. I'm just going to blame USPS and budget cuts in the US for the situation. Having paid EU 30 for shipping though, I would have expected FedEx or UPS or DHL all the way.

The M605 arrived finally, and I'm happy about the pen. There is a slight defect on the cap and Fritz Schimpf is sending a replacement no questions asked. Overall a good experience, but an adventure nonetheless.

I'm liking your M200s btw - but holding off.

Derek

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

As far as I know, Congress cut the USPS free years ago, making them come up with all the pension funding immediately (explaining the big price jump a decade ago) and they are not allowed to bribe congress like UPS & Fed Ex...part of the law UPS&FedEx passed.

So I don't think budget cuts by congress has anything to do with it. slowness has to do with package and express mail loss by USPS....You know, USPS don't even own a plane....... :yikes:

They have to go Space-A??? by which ever US carrier that is willing to take mail freight. The only explanation of slow US air freight of mail.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Some of these post office delays simply cannot or will not be explained. I just received the package, standard shipping with tracking from Croatia, took ten days. Same thing for a small parcel of three nibs from Germany sent standard mail, ten days. Both came through New York. The one from the Netherlands coming through Chicago has been held up there for three days now and it was shipped Priority Post, not standard like the other. Why can Chicago not be as efficient as New York?

Regards

Jeff

Just to add to all the stories above. I have 5 pens in the mail right now, with one of them going out (a defective that I am returning): one from Germany, 3 from the Netherlands and 1 to UK.

The one from Germany, came really fast... Only to be stuck in NY for 5 days and counting.

The 3 from the Netherlands: one is still preparing for shipping (5 days). Another, shipped on the 8th, is stuck in Chicago's sorting facility since the 10th. The third, shipped on the 12th, is the only one that moved a little (also went through Chicago) and it is in Elk Grove Village, IL. Curiously, the one I sent to UK is stuck in the same place there for 4 days and counting.

One thing that I found scary is that 3 people here (including me) received defective pens. But, I was not as lucky as some others: the vendor will only send a replacement once they receive the return!! So, a pen that I bought during Black Friday will likely land here only in 2018 :angry: .

Like BillH, this whole mess has me rethinking buying at this time of the year, pre-ordering and the vendor I have been using for new releases (really nice people, but 80% of the messes are their own doing). But I'm also rethinking Pelikan: 5 misaligned nibs in a row, 1 also with defective plating, is a bit much. Since my track record with MB is even worse, maybe I should go exclusively vintage.

I guess you get what you pay for. The shipping on overseas purchases can be slow and expensive and returns are a hassle.

BTW I have a pair pens shipped on the 4th that have been in NY customs for the last 5 days.

My M200 brown marbled left the UK on the 7th. Went through LA. I checked the tracking this morning and it hit the distribution center here in town this morning. My guess is I will have it tomorrow, but Tuesday at the latest.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

And it appears my 605 and 805 landed in San Francisco last night. I will be curious to see how quickly they make the last 800 miles. 11 days from NL to SF...

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

USPS attempted delivery this morning. If it had been 30-45 minutes later I would have been here. So I am picking it up at the PO tomorrow morning.

Brad

24304513287_38d2fbacc7_b.jpgMy flock of Pelikan pens. L to R 120 Merz and Krell M150 M200 Cognac M200 Brown marbled M200 blue marbled old style 140 by Brad Merrill, on Flickr

My flock now that my Brown marbled has arrived.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

Went back to tracking site and it arrived at Coppell, Tx distribution center this morning. Seven days from Chicago, must have been a slow freight.

Regards

Jeff

Went back to tracking site and it arrived at Coppell, Tx distribution center this morning. Seven days from Chicago, must have been a slow freight.

Be grateful to not live in Brazil. A China-to-Brazil during the holidays is a 2 month wait, minimum.

Be grateful to not live in Brazil. A China-to-Brazil during the holidays is a 2 month wait, minimum.

That's bad.

One thing here is that you can supposedly sign up with the USPS for updates on tracking for either text or email. It seems as though that has not been working for the last couple of weeks. To find out anything I have to go into their tracking site and manually enter the tracking number.

Regards

Jeff

That's bad.

One thing here is that you can supposedly sign up with the USPS for updates on tracking for either text or email. It seems as though that has not been working for the last couple of weeks. To find out anything I have to go into their tracking site and manually enter the tracking number.

I use a tracking site/service here, too. They used to send emails but stopped, too. Now I need to poll their site semi-regularly :-/