Color Like 'nightshade'

Bill Wood

Nightshade was my first ink. I wonder what adding a red-violet/burgundy hue, as opposed to true purple, to dark brown does to the color temperature. Dont have the inks to do it myself. Thoughts?

Not sure, but that's a good start. Then black.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Wood

• eyesa

• amberleadavis

• Chrissy

Must Thank You for that Christmas present Eyesa. Your recipe is bang on. One question, how did you figure out where to start?

So sorry to be off-forum for so long. What a nice homecoming.

How did I figure out where to start? I'm an oil painter by trade so color mixing had become

second nature. I was drawn to Noodler's for the water resistant properties in an array of colors. I had samples of many along with bottles of my favorites. I loved the moodiness of Nightshade and the fact that it's a cross color (brown-burgundy) with depth. I was disappointed to see it wasn't waterproof, so set about making my own with all Noodler's inks, so as to avoid problems. With so many waterproof inks to choose from, I knew I could get something close. I started with the closest overall color, Black Swan in Australian Roses and toned it down with the second most prevalent color, #41 brown adding drop by drop. From there it was just a matter of tweaking, drop by drop (Kung Te Cheng & black), until I got a close match. Then I tested it for waterproofness and let it stand in a vial, to make sure it was stable. I was pleased with the result. Glad it worked for you! It'll never be a hugely popular color, nor is Noodler's everyone's favorite. But I liked the color's oddness enough to give it a go. Thanks for letting me know it worked for you and please forgive me for my tardiness of answering.

Edited by eyesa

Eyesa's recipe is terrific Amber. That's the one. Whipped some up today.

W

Thanks for sticking with it Bill and for your thumbs-up! Glad to know it worked for you as well. It can be tweaked to lean more burgundy or more brown by adjusting the recipe. I stayed within the Noodler's line so as not to run into unforeseen chemical interactions. I'm sure this could be replicated with other brands, using similar colors to mix with, but I'd suggest staying within a single line or brand, to avoid problems. That way, you're also more likely to be working with the same saturation as well, so equivalent mixing should be easy.

Now I need to try to replicate Diamine's Ancient Copper via Noodler's waterproof inks and I'll be all set :)

Edited by eyesa

Dear eyesa,

Thanks for the recipe. I tried it and love the color. Very close to nightshade. I have lots left over after my project so I'm going to experiment and tweak and if anything interesting happens will of course share.

Sorry I'm so late in answering. So glad to hear it worked for you too! Yes. It's easy to end up with too much if it's not your favorite. I kept it as lean as possible as far as amounts go, but needed the room to add the Kung Te Cheng and black in the end, drop by drop, until right. That meant the first and most prevalent colors needed to be a larger start point. The black can easily overpower all else, so should be added last and very carefully (in my estimation.)

Nightshade was my first ink. I wonder what adding a red-violet/burgundy hue, as opposed to true purple, to dark brown does to the color temperature. Dont have the inks to do it myself. Thoughts?

The finished temperature hue, will skew cooler or warmer depending on the "true purple" hue.

If a blue leaning purple, it will darken a brown to a cool brown. That's why I started with a red-violet burgundy of BSAR. I knew that would be 'cooled' down with Noodler's #41 Brown, which is on the cool side, (rather than a warm red-brown.)