The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

2 England Swan Id?

9 replies to this topic

#1 sanesangowdayya

sanesangowdayya

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2017 - 18:03

Hello, I got my first swan pens off ebay and would like some ID help. They are both self fillers and England makes but the lever styles are slightly different.

This one is a 3 band swan with a size 2 nib. swan3band1.jpg swan3band2.jpg swan3band3.jpg  swan3bandnib.jpg

This one is a 2 band swan with a size 3 nib. swan2band1.jpg swan2band2.jpg swan2band3.jpg  swan2bandnib.jpg

Any ideas about the models? I can't really find as much information about models as I can parker or sheaffer pens.

Sponsored Content

#2 Cob

Cob

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2017 - 18:34

The first pen is a little strange: numbered 3360, and with the correct three cap bands it should have a No 3 nib installed.  I do know that Mabie Todd produced some 3260s with No 3 nibs, but I have not so far come across the reverse.  The first 3 represents the style - shape of the pen - the second the nib size and the last two digits - 60 - the colour: black Celluloid.  The pen dates from the late 1940s most likely.  The lever is odd - normally those levers - with a conventional J-bar inside the barrel are found on the models (same numbering system) with the brass threads.

The second pen is a slightly earlier model.  It is a 6260, these were made in the 1930s and into the 40s after Mabie Todd's factory was destroyed by bombing.  

I hope this helps.

Please write again if you have further questions,

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

#3 sanesangowdayya

sanesangowdayya

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2017 - 21:03

The first pen is a little strange: numbered 3360, and with the correct three cap bands it should have a No 3 nib installed.  I do know that Mabie Todd produced some 3260s with No 3 nibs, but I have not so far come across the reverse.  The first 3 represents the style - shape of the pen - the second the nib size and the last two digits - 60 - the colour: black Celluloid.  The pen dates from the late 1940s most likely.  The lever is odd - normally those levers - with a conventional J-bar inside the barrel are found on the models (same numbering system) with the brass threads.

The second pen is a slightly earlier model.  It is a 6260, these were made in the 1930s and into the 40s after Mabie Todd's factory was destroyed by bombing.  

I hope this helps.

Please write again if you have further questions,

Cob

So they are both celluloid as they both end in 60? The only mabie todd's I've seen have been bhr so forgive my inexperience.

I'm still waiting on the pens but is there a chance they're flexible?

#4 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• 976 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:15

They are Swans!  Always a good chance they will be flexible. And even when not flexible, they have a wonderful soft responsive feeling!  

After they arrive, post some writing pics!

#5 Cob

Cob

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,477 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2017 - 14:00

So they are both celluloid as they both end in 60? The only mabie todd's I've seen have been bhr so forgive my inexperience.

I'm still waiting on the pens but is there a chance they're flexible?

Yes both Celluloid -Xylonite as MT's supplier called it.

Curiously, Swans in these styles were produced in BHR: 61 is code for BHR so they would have been 3361 and 6261 respectively,

Greenie has neatly answered your question about the nibs.  My guess would be that the 2 in the 3360 looks promising but appearance is not always a reliable guide to nib characteristics.

Yes, do post some writing samples here.

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

#6 PaulS

PaulS

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 915 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2017 - 14:34

very nice looking pens.             Just to add a little to the very informative notes from Greenie and Cob  ..............    if you go online  -  Mabie Todd Pen Listings  -   you can download John Bridle's pdf list of data for most of the Swan f.ps.  -  this gives details for the various pens  ................  model Nos., cap bands, colour and filling mechanism etc.

Not sure how up-to-date the list is, but if you've not yet seen it am sure it will help.                        Most pre-owned pens benefit from some cleaning/polishing  -  if you rub a celluloid pen body with a suitable cleaner/cloth, you should get that 'table tennis ball' smell  -  it can be addictive.   Of course if you don't get that smell from a pen then this might indicate BHR or Casein.  

Your second pen shows some oxidation on the section - this part of the pen is almost always made from BHR/Vulcanite, and discolours if exposed to daylight - the olive/brown colour can be removed and returned to black.

Edited by PaulS, 06 November 2017 - 14:36.

#7 sanesangowdayya

sanesangowdayya

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:33

Very helpful information. They're coming today and I'm excited as it's my first swan  :)

Edited by sanesangowdayya, 08 November 2017 - 14:45.

#8 sanesangowdayya

sanesangowdayya

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2017 - 15:04

So here are my findings: the three banded 3360 is a joy to write with, quite flexible and responsive. The 2 band #2 nib is slightly sprung so I have not tested yet. Nib looks like it might be an oblique. Unfortunately there's also a hairline crack as well. I didn't get them dirt cheap but under $100 is still a decent price.

Here's the album: https://imgur.com/a/Y66Fb

Edited by sanesangowdayya, 08 November 2017 - 15:06.

#9 Cob

Cob

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,477 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2017 - 18:32

Aha!  So the 3360 did have the correct nib after all.  ANd a very nice one too; you are fortunate.  The nib on the 6260 is not an oblique; it is just worn form what I can see.  It needs a a certain amount of expertise to get it sorted out I think!

Cob

#10 sanesangowdayya

sanesangowdayya

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 November 2017 - 15:18

Aha!  So the 3360 did have the correct nib after all.  ANd a very nice one too; you are fortunate.  The nib on the 6260 is not an oblique; it is just worn form what I can see.  It needs a a certain amount of expertise to get it sorted out I think!

Cob

Did some straightening but the nib is still slightly creased on the right tines. What kind of nib is this?

Attached Images

• 6082260505590707742.jpg
  • 1026550061807627504.jpg

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|