The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Antique Mall Finds

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Shaporama

Shaporama

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2017 - 18:03

At an antique mall in the SF Bay Area last week I scored perhaps my best finds ever.  The owner had no idea how to price a bag full of vintage pens so for $5 each I bought (from right to left) 1] a small Parker Duofold, discolored but still lovely, there is a small crack near the cap band that can be welded; 2] a black Parker Vacumatic that still takes up ink, in need of a good polishing; 3] a Wahl Oxford with a "Select-o-Fine nib, probably gold-plated and not original; 4] a lovely Gray Esterbrook J with a 9668 nib; 5] an Eversharp Gray Moire Skyline (with a Parker nib!); 6] a vest pocket Wahl Doric in Morocco coloring with a functioning adjustable nib, but missing its clip.  The last two pens, a stainless Sheaffer Imperial cartridge pen and a lovely Sheaffer Skripsert Tweed Ladies pen were $15 apiece (perhaps because they were shinier than the rest?).  

The two Sheaffers are cartridge pens and ready to write with a little cleaning, the others can use some polish and new sacs, all of which I can do, except for the Vacumatic.  I will need to send the the Doric out for repair as I have no idea where to find an appropriate clip (and lack the expertise to install one), and also the Duofold (to weld the crack in the cap).

Not bad for $60 total.  I will be going back!

Attached Images

• Pens copy.jpg

Edited by Shaporama, 05 November 2017 - 18:05.

Sponsored Content

#2 cleosmama

cleosmama

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2017 - 18:05

Those are all very lovely! I would say you really did score on that purchase!

#3 usk15

usk15

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2017 - 18:43

Welll done! I like that grey Esterbrook!

#4 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,246 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:31

I'd say you're definitely in the running for "Sumgai of the Week" with that haul.  The Doric in particular is really attractive -- even without a clip.  (Although I should note that the photo appears to be mirror-image to the list....)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#5 Dr. Saleem Ali

Dr. Saleem Ali

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2017 - 17:05

Congrats on finding this vintage treasure.The wahl doric is something very special and rare .It has an adjustable nib.Very classic and if you can find a clip you got a very very nice vintage collectible to own proudly .Enjoy your pens in good health .

#6 amk

amk

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2017 - 18:36

Wow, that is some haul. Sumgai!

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

#7 Shaporama

Shaporama

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2017 - 22:58

Thank you all for your comments. Any suggestions regarding whom to call for repair of the missing Doric clip would be appreciated.

#8 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:38

This looks like a job for The Wahlnut.

Sponsored Content

|