Sailor Pro-Gear Purple Cosmos- First Impressions

KellyMcJ

I want a sailor pen so badly, I love the style of their pens and gorgeous nibs. But I hate nail-hard gold nibs. Steel I understand, but I think gold should always have some bounce.

I may just wind up saving up for a king of pen with the quad slit architect/fude nib and go absolutely insane.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KellyMcJ

• Nikaa

• inkstainedruth

• Olya

My Purple Cosmos went into service yesterday. My brief comment: in terms of appearance, it's attractive to about the extent shown in various photographs that have been published; i.e., I'm pleased but not blown away. The great thing for me is the performance: it's the best-writing EF pen I have, and that includes an EF 21K Professional Gear (I know that comparison gets debated on occasion. This is just my opinion.) Great pen.

My Purple Cosmos went into service yesterday. My brief comment: in terms of appearance, it's attractive to about the extent shown in various photographs that have been published; i.e., I'm pleased but not blown away. The great thing for me is the performance: it's the best-writing EF pen I have, and that includes an EF 21K Professional Gear (I know that comparison gets debated on occasion. This is just my opinion.) Great pen.

I agree with you. It's a gorgeous pen, as are all of my Sailors, but I'm not stunned by it - the glitter is a fascinating novelty.

It's my favorite writer. I may ink it with Kon Peki when I've run through this fill of Ajisai.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone else's have slight striations in the body of theirs? I love my cosmos (I'm unsure how they're not sold out yet) but I keep getting distracted by the lighter stripes in mine.

Does anyone else's have slight striations in the body of theirs? I love my cosmos (I'm unsure how they're not sold out yet) but I keep getting distracted by the lighter stripes in mine.

The thread linked below might give you the answer to your question :)

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/298625-issue-with-plastic-on-sailor-sapporo-manyou-green/

Edited by Olya

I see why the famous Sailor feedback is controversial. I happen to enjoy it.

Same here. I bought my first Sailor a week ago, have written hours and hours with it, and have become addicted to that feedback. When I switch to the Sailor after having used one of my glassy-smooth and juicy-wet other pens, I need about 2 minutes of adjustment. After that, heaven. Going in the other direction, from the Sailor to any other pen, makes me want to sell them off :-).

Update: how long has it been? This is still my Most Used Pen. If I don't pick it up at least once a day I'm sad.

I know exactly what you mean! By the way, the Sailor Jentle Blue ink has been a similar revelation to me. I _love_ that ink. Performance-wise it's a great match for that pen, it looks great, it flows well, it smells nice, and a cartridge holds a ton of ink.

I have this pen with an F nib, and I asked the very same question a couple of months ago, and found that a lot of people said the same thing about this pen and others with glitter and/or metallic finishes. I also asked La Couronne du Comte if they had any without the streaks. I think they had several in stock and the very helpful person who replied to me said that every model had the same streaks.

At first, I was a bit disappointed because the pen was my first gold-nib pen (apart from the Decimo) and I hadnt been expecting these imperfections. However, the pen wrote so very beautifully and precisely, I couldnt bear to send it back. Now I actually really like the streaks - they remind me of meteors streaking across the sky. It is definitely my favourite pen, along with my two Pelikan M800s, and I have just ordered a second rose-pink Kobe edition from Japan with an EF nib.

I really like this material! Great review. I just wish it came in a longer and thicker model

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

• 4 months later...

Huzzah! Someone I know ordered a Purple Cosmos, inked it once, and decided not to keep it, so I got a bargain. I wondered how I would do with a Broad, because my handwriting is small and most of my pens are fines and extra fines, but I have it inked with Sailor Shigure and can already tell it will see a lot of use. I look forward to trying it with different inks and papers.

• 1 month later...

• 7 months later...

OMG, those photos...

The Sailor Pro Gear H-M is simply my next pen. It's very long overdue.

Pilot's fantastic and I'll succumb to more of those later on probably...

I have a my first Platinum 3776 importing on the way,

But this pen is something my attention has honed in on like never before, especially with the way people talk about the Sailor's in general. I feel backwards having not even tried a Sailor Pen yet.

It's time.

Well I got lucky a month or so ago. Discovered that a few places had Purple Cosmos still in stock (I got curious after seeing that this year's LE color -- the red one -- was out), and ended up ordering one from Cult Pens in the UK, and because of free shipping and not having to pay VAT it was about what I would have paid for a "standard" color Pro-Gear Slim. :thumbup:

Some of you might have seen other threads where I asked about peoples' experiences with the zoom nib (especially in comparison to Sailor's "music" nib. And then it occurred to me that my friend (who did in fact buy one at the time because (1) Sailor; and (2) purple) did have a zoom nib. So my husband and I drove up to his place, took him out to dinner, and while we were waiting for our food I played with a pen he had that was fitted with a zoom nib. (I wisely, for purposes of my budget, declined his kind offer to let me try his naginata-togi nib in a different pen :rolleyes:). And went home and ordered the pen that night. And had it in a a week or two. And it's been inked up ever since with old formula Jentle Sky High. The nib is fun, and suits my slightly wacky handwriting fairly well (not a strict cursive, in that I don't have loops on ascenders and descenders), although I don't play with the nib angle much.

And, oh, it is a pretty pen.... I could easily see another Pro-Gear Slim in my future, if I found a color I liked and the price wasn't too horrible.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Well I got lucky a month or so ago. Discovered that a few places had Purple Cosmos still in stock (I got curious after seeing that this year's LE color -- the red one -- was out), and ended up ordering one from Cult Pens in the UK, and because of free shipping and not having to pay VAT it was about what I would have paid for a "standard" color Pro-Gear Slim. :thumbup:

Some of you might have seen other threads where I asked about peoples' experiences with the zoom nib (especially in comparison to Sailor's "music" nib. And then it occurred to me that my friend (who did in fact buy one at the time because (1) Sailor; and (2) purple) did have a zoom nib. So my husband and I drove up to his place, took him out to dinner, and while we were waiting for our food I played with a pen he had that was fitted with a zoom nib. (I wisely, for purposes of my budget, declined his kind offer to let me try his naginata-togi nib in a different pen :rolleyes:). And went home and ordered the pen that night. And had it in a a week or two. And it's been inked up ever since with old formula Jentle Sky High. The nib is fun, and suits my slightly wacky handwriting fairly well (not a strict cursive, in that I don't have loops on ascenders and descenders), although I don't play with the nib angle much.

And, oh, it is a pretty pen.... I could easily see another Pro-Gear Slim in my future, if I found a color I liked and the price wasn't too horrible.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

That sounds like not just a pleasant purchase, but a lovely experience : )

I do have on e question about the Pro Gear:

Does that metal band at the back end of the body sit flush with the resin of the pen?

Edited by Mongoosey

That sure doesn't look like a broad. that looks like the F on my cross townsend.

the zoom is a proper western double broad.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)