The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Sailor Pro-Gear Purple Cosmos- First Impressions

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:57

I want a sailor pen so badly, I love the style of their pens and gorgeous nibs. But I hate nail-hard gold nibs. Steel I understand, but I think gold should always have some bounce.

I may just wind up saving up for a king of pen with the quad slit architect/fude nib and go absolutely insane.

Sponsored Content

#42 Pensei

Pensei

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 22:31

My Purple Cosmos went into service yesterday. My brief comment: in terms of appearance, it's attractive to about the extent shown in various photographs that have been published; i.e., I'm pleased but not blown away. The great thing for me is the performance: it's the best-writing EF pen I have, and that includes an EF 21K Professional Gear (I know that comparison gets debated on occasion. This is just my opinion.) Great pen. 

#43 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 23:56

My Purple Cosmos went into service yesterday. My brief comment: in terms of appearance, it's attractive to about the extent shown in various photographs that have been published; i.e., I'm pleased but not blown away. The great thing for me is the performance: it's the best-writing EF pen I have, and that includes an EF 21K Professional Gear (I know that comparison gets debated on occasion. This is just my opinion.) Great pen. 

I agree with you. It's a gorgeous pen, as are all of my Sailors, but I'm not stunned by it - the glitter is a fascinating novelty.

It's my favorite writer. I may ink it with Kon Peki when I've run through this fill of Ajisai.

#44 Jestercow

Jestercow

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2018 - 20:39

Does anyone else's have slight striations in the body of theirs? I love my cosmos (I'm unsure how they're not sold out yet) but I keep getting distracted by the lighter stripes in mine.

#45 Olya

Olya

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 21:07

Does anyone else's have slight striations in the body of theirs? I love my cosmos (I'm unsure how they're not sold out yet) but I keep getting distracted by the lighter stripes in mine.

The thread linked below might give you the answer to your question :)

http://www.fountainp...o-manyou-green/

Edited by Olya, 13 April 2018 - 21:07.

#46 TheDutchGuy

TheDutchGuy

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:07

I see why the famous Sailor feedback is controversial. I happen to enjoy it.

Same here. I bought my first Sailor a week ago, have written hours and hours with it, and have become addicted to that feedback. When I switch to the Sailor after having used one of my glassy-smooth and juicy-wet other pens, I need about 2 minutes of adjustment. After that, heaven. Going in the other direction, from the Sailor to any other pen, makes me want to sell them off :-).

Update: how long has it been? This is still my Most Used Pen. If I don't pick it up at least once a day I'm sad.

I know exactly what you mean! By the way, the Sailor Jentle Blue ink has been a similar revelation to me. I _love_ that ink. Performance-wise it's a great match for that pen, it looks great, it flows well, it smells nice, and a cartridge holds a ton of ink.

#47 chenlozi

chenlozi

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2018 - 20:08

I have this pen with an F nib, and I asked the very same question a couple of months ago, and found that a lot of people said the same thing about this pen and others with glitter and/or metallic finishes. I also asked La Couronne du Comte if they had any without the streaks. I think they had several in stock and the very helpful person who replied to me said that every model had the same streaks.

At first, I was a bit disappointed because the pen was my first gold-nib pen (apart from the Decimo) and I hadnt been expecting these imperfections. However, the pen wrote so very beautifully and precisely, I couldnt bear to send it back. Now I actually really like the streaks - they remind me of meteors streaking across the sky. It is definitely my favourite pen, along with my two Pelikan M800s, and I have just ordered a second rose-pink Kobe edition from Japan with an EF nib.

#48 southpaw

southpaw

Museum Piece

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,207 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 23:38

I really like this material! Great review. I just wish it came in a longer and thicker model
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Sponsored Content

|